PDA

View Full Version : Cost Poll

titus
12-13-2001, 05:00 AM
Hello,

Just want to do a little poll here. If we are to build a calcium reactor with 6"OD cast acrylic tube, keyholed flange, die cut gasket, bubble counter, all necessary plumbing, tubing, excluding the CO2 gear and reactor media. How much do you think it'll cost you? Oh please include the price of an Eheim 1250 pump as well. Just material and machining cost, with no labour included.

Aquattro
12-13-2001, 05:22 AM
Titus, as we were discussing, I use extruded tubing. I can get it for 18/ft. I use 1 sq. ft. of black 1/4" acrylic sheet at ~$8/ft. (when sold by the cut ft.)Bubble counter is about $3 total. 6 each of screws and wingnuts at 0.19/pc. PVC plumbing I figure is less than $20 with service joints. Gaskets are hand made from 1/8" neoprene @ 5.98 sq. ft. This gives me a total of ~4 gaskets when I use the "scrap" for other things. MAG 2 pump is $65. I haven't got the tubing yet, but I expect below $10. This puts me at no more than $140. The one I am currently building was made from off-cuts so was a bit less.
Not exactly a Canreef reactor, but it will dissolve Ca++ and put it in my tank.

smokinreefer
12-13-2001, 05:48 AM
i may be off base here, but...dont you have these prices/cost values already?

anyhow, if WE were to build one it would cost me whatever the person who built it for me charges images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

i do have the pump already tho, so i would guess $100-150.

StirCrazy
12-13-2001, 10:17 AM
hey Brad, I was told yesterday to try capital Iron or indufast for the nylon screws..

Steve

Aquattro
12-13-2001, 11:22 AM
Steve, home depot has nylon screws. I was just looking for them in black. Turns out that the black ones are just dyed that color and I can do that myself.

DJ88
12-13-2001, 11:23 AM
Brad where are you getting 6" tubing for $18 a foot?

Aquattro
12-13-2001, 12:56 PM
Darren, I got mine at Plexi-Klass on John St. The guy there has been great with help and advice. I'm new to this acrylic fabricating stuff and needed some advice on a few things. The owner actually brought me into the shop to show me how to do some stuff.
Industrial Plastics charges that for 4" tubing. I try not to shop there anymore as they are fairly pricey. I hear that there is a place on Keating X Rd. that is pretty good too.

DJ88
12-13-2001, 01:16 PM
Sweet.. any minimum length?

ldzielak
12-13-2001, 01:55 PM
Brad,

Do you have a ph# for Plexi-Klass? I would like to call and see if they would ship me 2 sections (4" and 6"). Also I have seen on some DIY pages that "service joint" can be used on the top of the reactor. Large one of course and only using the halph with the oring. This looked like less work than key hole designs, but could cost more I would think.

Lee
http://northernreef.org/miscphotos/calc2.jpg

Aquattro
12-13-2001, 02:10 PM
Lee, they don't have any more in stock, but I'm going to order some and can probably send some to you. How much of each do you need?

Darren, not sure about min purchase since they had the lenghts I needed as "scrap". I'm sure we can pool together to meet a minimum, if needed.
I work just around the corner so I'll go by at lunch and see what I can order. I need a few feet of each for now.

Aquattro
12-13-2001, 02:12 PM
Oh, Lee..not sure about the service joint thing since I'm doing mine completely out of acrylic. It will be similar to the one Darren has; I think he posted a pic of it the other day.

DJ88
12-13-2001, 02:12 PM
Great.. I'd like a 18-24 inch piece of 6" and the same for a four..

If possible..

Thanks Brad.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Aquattro
12-13-2001, 02:17 PM
Let ya know in a few hours. Bruce, Adam, did you guys need any?

reefburnaby
12-13-2001, 02:20 PM
Titus,

Hmmm...are you thinking about starting up Canreef again ? I find the Canreef design is technically good...but it must cost a lot to manufacture.

Say, how much are people willing to pay for a reactor lilke Canreef's ? From the boards, I have read that people were happy with the product but it was very expensive ($600 of something in that range) and it became uncompetitive.

- Victor.

[ 13 December 2001: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

Aquattro
12-13-2001, 05:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJ88:
Great.. I'd like a 18-24 inch piece of 6" and the same for a four..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darren, sent you and Lee an email on this.

DJ88
12-13-2001, 06:25 PM
which email address?

nuttin here yet..

Aquattro
12-13-2001, 07:31 PM
The one in your profile. Anyways, I've got some 4 and 6" 1/8wall extruded acrylic tube ordered. You want 2 feet of each? $12 and $18/ft.

DJ88
12-13-2001, 08:24 PM
k.. how long to get it in? I'll get 2 feet of 6 inch and 2 of 4 inch.

Thanks Brad.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

[ 13 December 2001: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

Aquattro
12-13-2001, 08:37 PM
A few days. So maybe Monday or Tuesday. I can bring it over next Friday.

DJ88
12-13-2001, 09:00 PM
I'll be in Vic until tuesday afternoon..

images/smiles/icon_smile.gif sound good?

StirCrazy
12-13-2001, 09:09 PM
when you comming to vic Darren?

Steve

DJ88
12-13-2001, 09:38 PM
sunday night.. have to do all my release medicals and out routine from the base.. over again..

ldzielak
12-14-2001, 01:51 AM
Brad,

You've got mail, I would also like the same as Darren, 4" and 6" both 24" long if possible.

Lee

ldzielak
12-14-2001, 01:54 AM
Titus,

What was the complaint about the top mounted pump? Air lock problems?

Lee

titus
12-14-2001, 02:06 AM
Hello,

There wasn't really a complaint. It's more like explaining to people that it works if it's setup properly, which they have to do anyway no matter what mount it is. Further, there are also a lot of people who went straight ahead with the bottom mount without considering the top mount. It's just more work for me in order to make less of a sale.

DJ88
12-14-2001, 02:24 AM
Titus..

What flanges do you have available? I am interested in buying some.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif and any other little goodies you may have.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

titus
12-14-2001, 04:58 AM
Hello Victor,

Yes I always have the feeling of doing something again but those of us who actually have to run it business style is constantly killed by the DIY. I just checked MYREEF has a complete new homepage building all sorts of skimmers and calcium reactors. And the prices are rock bottom. Mind you when you look at the quality, prices not including pump, it's understandable. But a lot of people would got attracted to that already. For those of us who actually have business overhead, we can not compete.

As for pricing, it's pretty much set by the retailers. At one point, I have to increase my prices just to keep the Canadian and US retailers on par.

If I do come back, I probably will try to make a bottom mount reactor. I'm tired of hearing people complaining about problems with top mount when I never had any problems myself. It's a lot more worthwhile to sell something that I don't have to do a lot of explaining. Also, if I make a bottom mount and sell it at Precision Marine's prices without compromising anything, no one can complain it's too expensive. And one thing for sure, I'm going to do what Lifereef does. Work per order. No more making 10 items at a time. Just totally burned me out, considering I have to deal with UPS, and 10 or so other suppliers, customs, etc.

titus
12-14-2001, 11:46 PM
Hello Darren,

I have the following:
-----------------------------------------
Flange set (ring and top piece) for 6"OD tube
Flange (ring only, no top piece) for 4"OD tube

The flanges are made from clear 1/4" cast acrylic sheet (paper masking both sides). Keyhole slots, black nylon screws, and matching gasket all included with the flange set. Holes are not tapped. I don't sell amateur flanges. These ones are just as good as the ones you find in Precision Marine products, except it's clear instead of black.
Circular base plate for 4"OD tube
Some smaller diameter circular plates
Cast 4"OD tube 1/8" wall (about 2 ft left)
Extruded 6"OD tube 1/8" wall (40 inches left)

I can get tubings (4" or 6") cast or extruded. Just let me know how long, when you need it.
3 regulators (German)
1 - 2 needle valves

I can order solenoids as well (German)
A whole whack load of Jaco fittings, black nylon screws, gaskets for the 6"OD tubes, irrigation mini gate valve (fits onto airline hose), 2 of 1.5" gate valves (non Spears FPT x FPT)
I can also get:
brass check valves (either FPTxFPT or MPTxMPT)
mufflers (good for high aeration protein skimmers)
I don't know what I have exactly. There's a lot of stuff here but I've put them all into a box. In any event, you can always let me know what you or other DIYs need and I can get them for you guys. Maybe the business should be tailored to this DIY industry. I can also cut out flanges for other sizes as well.

As for pricing, I don't think I have problems matching. Just let me know what you guys need.

[ 14 December 2001: Message edited by: Titus ]

ldzielak
12-15-2001, 01:53 AM
Titus,

I would like the 6" flange set, maybe the 4" and also what is your price for the regulators? I will be getting some tubing from Brad, he has already ordered it. Maybe I can arrange to meet up with you in Victoria and pick everything up from both you and Brad at the same time.

titus
12-15-2001, 03:09 AM
Hello Lee,

E-mailed you.

titus
12-16-2001, 03:39 AM
Hello Shane,

I sell a solenoid valve that has 1/4" FPTxFPT. It is 2 way normally closed as it should be. It can be either 120V or 220V. The valve was made in Germany but assembled in North America. It is as good as it gets in this hobby.

As for pricing, it'll never be $15.00CAD as it's way below my cost + shipping. I quoted Lee $100.00CAD each. It takes about one week usually to get them in but I'm not sure how the holiday season affects things. It's not as cheap as $15.00 CAD but I'll be surprised if you can get it cheaper for new at the same quality and size at anywhere else, and if you do, please let me know.

BTW, one thing about this solenoid is it's bigger than the M3 Deluxe CO2 set ($150USD when I bought it). You'll notice that the smaller solenoid does heat up quite a bit so the bigger it is the less hot it gets.

Reefmaster
12-16-2001, 04:30 AM
titus
i'm interested in a whole bunch (maybe 6) of 120v solenoid valves. i've found some that are made by singer and cost 15/ea but they are pretty junky. can you let me know what kind of $$ we'd be talking for yours? shane

Aquattro
12-18-2001, 10:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJ88:
[QB]Great.. I'd like a 18-24 inch piece of 6" and the same for a four..
QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darren, you're tubing is in. You still in Vic? If not, I can bring it by on the weekend