PDA

View Full Version : Tank weight

Mattyb
05-26-2017, 04:36 AM
So here's my question. I'm looking at upgrading my tank from 60 gal to 110gallon.my tank runs along the floor joists and not perpendicular to my joists. Do you think it's relatively safe being a longer tank (72). Everyone says it's too heavy to put that way otherwise it will fall through the floor. I've scoured the internet and not once could I find a story about a tank falling through. I wish mythbusters was still on because it would be a good episode lol. Anyone have there tank running parallel to the tank? Did you have issues? Any damage to your home? Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

WarDog
05-26-2017, 04:51 AM
Can you beef up the structure?

Mattyb
05-26-2017, 05:11 AM
In what way? Only way would be to take my 60gallon down and remove my laminate floooring and then the sheets of underlay to get at the joists. which I actually thought about doing. Then maybe sistering the joists.

straightrazorguy
05-26-2017, 06:01 AM
The idea is to spread the weight of the tank over several joists. Sistering would help, but I would place the tank over a base spanning several joists. You can do this by adding a wider base under the tank, or getting between the joists with some blocking, so the joists work together. Add blocking or cross-bridging between 4-5 adjacent joists, securing it with both glue and screws. Or use Strong-tie bracing. If you can remove the plywood above the joists, you could also glue it before nailing it. That helps with the spreading of the loads...

Myka
05-26-2017, 12:43 PM
It won't fall through the floor - that's a bit dramatic. What year was your house built? What type of structure is it? Are there floor tiles anywhere near where the tank will go?

Mattyb
05-26-2017, 03:27 PM
It's 7 years old. It's on laminate flooring. Unfortunately I can't turn it so it's perpendicular to the floor joists which means it would sit on maybe two joists. I might pull the floor up and try the blocking. Just sucks that there is no where in my house that I can put a bigger tank

Animal-Chin
05-26-2017, 03:35 PM
I've never heard of issues with anything under 125. Your 110 tank full would weigh about 1300 pounds. If you had 6 200 pound men stand there in a row would they fall through the floor? I'd be worried about a 180 gallon but has anyone ever reinforced a floor for a 110?

Dearth
05-26-2017, 04:42 PM
If your worried I'd just lay a 1/2 inch sheet of plywood underneath the base to spread out the weight a little more and some piece of mind as well

Mattyb
05-26-2017, 05:43 PM
Awesome, thanks guys. I guess the best thing to do is just check the level of the tank every day and see if there is any sag. And if I notice then strip it down before the seals bust. I don't think there would be any issues though. Thanks for all the advice 😁

Myka
05-27-2017, 01:44 PM
It's 7 years old. It's on laminate flooring. Unfortunately I can't turn it so it's perpendicular to the floor joists which means it would sit on maybe two joists. I might pull the floor up and try the blocking. Just sucks that there is no where in my house that I can put a bigger tank
By "structure" I meant is it a house, condo, duplex, etc? Only 7 years old, don't think you'll have any trouble. The tank isn't that big (volume-wise), and it's spread over 6 feet long.

I suggested his to someone else on here recently: if you're concerned, build a stand that's bigger than the tank so you can spread the load over 3 joists instead of just two.

Like this:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170527/518f6e3cb75fb571b0e07aba51c79b2b.jpg

Mattyb
05-28-2017, 01:21 AM
What an awesome looking tank! I think I'm going to pull the trigger. I'll just keep an eye on the level of my tank. Thanks again

Mattyb
05-28-2017, 07:45 PM
So after doing some research on my house, turns out my tank sits perpendicular to my floor joists. So I guess I can go bigger then 110gallon now😁😁now the tough part, convincing the wife😬😜

DKoKoMan
05-28-2017, 11:08 PM
The bigger the better! Nothing worse then having no room to add stuff :mrgreen: