PDA

View Full Version : Cal/Mag/Alk....Dosing pump or reactor?

Cujo#31
01-29-2017, 04:02 AM
We all know Cal, Mag &a Alk are "the big 3" particularly when we talk SPS, and that of the 3 Alk is king but how do you maintain your perams and why?
I personally prefer calcium reactor as it is the lowest maintenance of the 3, with fewer possibilities for failure or malfunction. I have heard of many a tank crash or significant loss due to dosing pump failure. I occasionally have to manually dose as needed to top up on the odd occasion.
So I guess the question is Dosing pumps or Reactor??? And why

Ryanerickson
01-29-2017, 04:12 AM
For me on small tank 120g or smaller I would dose with I reliable dosing pump any bigger calcium reactor

iamfrontosa
01-29-2017, 05:39 AM
Calcium reactor for me. Less maintenance.

maron6977
01-29-2017, 09:21 AM
Calcium reactor & kalk reactor - it just seems to work !

Galizio
01-29-2017, 02:34 PM
Like Ryan said I prefer dosing on "smaller" tank with a reliable dosing pump... doesn't require any maintenance , just refills... have to adjust every once and a while but is a simple process in my case ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mseepman
01-29-2017, 04:32 PM
I dose and use a kalk reactor

DKoKoMan
01-29-2017, 04:50 PM
I dose on my 75g and will setup my doses on my 150g once I get it running. Depending on the tanks consumption, it may be best to use a calcium reacTor on larger tanks. I guess I will see on the 150g and may need to adapt.

Reef.ductionist
12-01-2017, 05:11 PM
A calcium reactor and dosing pump can both be connected to a controller and in case of power failure could be programmed to trip an alarm or send an email alert. I would prefer a doser only because increasing or decreasing the calcium would be a breeze...and changing calcium sources would be easier if I wanted to switch to the ‘ Balling Method’ of calcium dosing for example. Could even increase or decrease calcium while on vacation or travelling, there is no need to
physically remove calcium reactor media etcetc...on the other hand having a calcium reactor hanging around the tank also looks neat too.

Delphinus
12-04-2017, 04:10 PM
I've done both reactors and autodosers. For some reason I get better results with a calcium reactor.

I don't think there is a right answer or a wrong answer to this though - anything that gets the job done is the right answer - and then it's just a question of what works better for you. I know plenty of tanks that for them, dosing is the better answer.