PDA

View Full Version : To UV, or not to UV, that is the question

brisco
11-13-2016, 02:31 PM
I am just wondering for those established reefers out there, who uses a UV sterilizer?

Can't seem to create a poll...but would like to know

1: don't use
2: use some times
3 use full time

hfp75
11-13-2016, 02:33 PM
I am just wondering for those established reefers out there, who uses a UV sterilizer? Do you use it full time?

You should do a poll

H

brisco
11-13-2016, 02:38 PM
perhaps a moderator will bail me out? :redface:

maron6977
11-13-2016, 03:23 PM
3 - use full time . Have cheap chinese bulb right now & not sure how much it really does !

WarDog
11-13-2016, 05:48 PM
perhaps a moderator will bail me out? :redface:

Done and done!

intarsiabox
11-13-2016, 05:57 PM
Are you having problems with your tank that make you think you need a UV sterilizer?

brisco
11-13-2016, 06:11 PM
I recently added UV because I was battling a outbreak of dinos. The idea is that It might kill any free floating dinos that are in the water column. The dinos are gone for now, however, I did a multifaceted approach with DinoX, a period of lights out and the UV. Who knows if all worked or just one or two methods and time will tell if the problems return.

Evilweevil
11-13-2016, 06:18 PM
I have had once running ever since I set up my tank 4 years ago and I can definetly say I don't know if it really makes a difference , I just go on the principal if it's working just keep doing what your doing is all

dino
11-14-2016, 12:51 PM
I like to run it when I add fish

Myka
11-14-2016, 02:26 PM
I voted for all the answers. On my own reef I don't use UV at all, I have no reason to. On my client tanks I have some that don't use UV, some that use UV part-time, and some full-time. Depends on each tank, and also the client too (I put big UV sterilizers on tanks where clients add non-quarantined fish). I like to have a UV sterilizer available to use on tanks that have Tangs so the UV can be switched on if there are any Ich spots noticed on any of the fish. In order for UV to be effective for Ich, it has to be a big UV though, and there is a significant cost associated with a piece of equipment that is only used part-time.

neeper
11-15-2016, 09:47 PM
I use run a 40watt UV sterilizer for 8 hours after the lights go out at night.

Allpointswest
11-16-2016, 05:21 AM
I used one on a fresh water tank and it worked great but the research I have done for saltwater says that they can work but if you are running additives like Zeovit to not use them. I am running Biopellets so I haven't tried the UV Filter as of yet. I think with a UV filter you are trying to contact as much of the water column as possible so meaning it has to be a large Filter to do any good. That said I haven't used one on a reef tank so I am just speaking from research i have found. Good luck and enjoy