PDA

View Full Version : Weather warnings!

Tyfighter
10-12-2016, 02:04 AM
I'm not sure if all of you west coasters have seen the warning but it looks like we are about to get hit hard with some sever wind and rain. Power outages are expected so I figured I would start a post for people to share with some of the newer people on how they prep for this!

Myka
10-12-2016, 02:27 AM
Wind and rain? Pfff...we got 12" of snow overnight last week! Waaay too early for that...

mohammadali
10-12-2016, 03:03 AM
Yesterday we drove to Kelowna saw snow on both side of highway and found a frozen dead fox

Tankboy
10-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Gonna gas up the generator and stock up on firewood! Hope that no trees fall on my house!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-12-2016, 03:35 PM
BC Hydro warns there could be even more power outages due to the high winds on Saturday and clean out gutters, drains, sewer covers & storm drains today cause we can expect a tonne of rain over the next few days. Today (Wed.) is the last of the good weather days for the next while. Three big storms heading our way!!! Have your "power outage" emergency protocols and supplies on hand and hopefully none of us gets negatively affected by these major storms.

Good luck and stay SAFE everyone!!!

Anthony

Reef Pilot
10-12-2016, 03:54 PM
Well, if anyone wants a cheap (but good) generator for back-up, I just put this one up for sale on Craigslist.
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/tls/5820201879.html
It has remote electric start, so can be turned off and on from within your house. Don't think it will last long at this price.

Animal-Chin
10-13-2016, 07:23 PM
Found a 1500w generator on sale at london drugs for $299 last night. After last years 3 day black out I figured its worth it. Hope my neighbours don't mind...lol

Tyfighter
10-13-2016, 07:27 PM
I have actually been considering one for my apartment patio. I'm sure my neighbours will love me haha

Reef Pilot
10-13-2016, 07:52 PM
Actually, just saw the London Drugs flyer for their sale starting Fri and they have their 3650W gen for $349. I can tell you this is a really good deal.

Just yesterday, I sold my 2400W gen for $300, which is almost 10 years old now. It did have electric remote start, though, which is pretty nifty. I probably could have sold it 3 times over, with all the inquiries. All this storm fear mongering in the news sure helped...

Most, if not all, of these cheaper gens are Honda clones from China, and IMO are actually better than the equivalent Honda. I have owned a couple of Honda gens in the past (before the clones were popular), and while they are good, no question, the clones always seem to have extra features, improvements and capabilities than the original Honda. So I have a hard time paying 2 or 3 times the amount just for the Honda name, esp if it is only standby for power outages. At least I made good use of mine at our cabin.

I recently had to buy a larger generator for the cabin, because I bought an electric log splitter which requires higher initial surge power to start up. So of course I bought another clone from Princess Auto. They often have the best prices for these when they are on sale. And needless to say, works great and very happy with it.

And if you ever need a part (even for the Honda), much, much cheaper to get it trhough AliExpress from China (often free shipping). Only downside is you have a wait a month or so for it to arrive.

squamishbc
10-13-2016, 10:31 PM
I have actually been considering one for my apartment patio. I'm sure my neighbours will love me haha

I asked the building manager at my apartment place, and their answer was a big fat no. Which was the answer I was expecting but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Tyfighter
10-14-2016, 04:02 AM
I think it's one of those things you just do, keep your tank alive, and get in trouble later :)