PDA

View Full Version : Captive raised or ocean farmed

Dearth
02-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Multiple choice

This seems to be a regular topic and somewhat Of a contensious issue amoung various SW hobbyists

What would you rather have in your tank corals and fish that have been aquarium raised

Or

Would you rather have ocean farmed corals and fish in your tank

Please comment

Coasting
02-04-2016, 07:10 PM
If I could, I would prefer Captive BRED over any of those options. As I know people still use the word captive raised for a WC specimen ( be it egg or larvae or other youngins) that was brought up in a tank and then sold.
And aquarium raised corals preferably.

However I know most of the fish in my tank were likely WC (except the clowns)

http://www.fishchannel.com/sustainable-reefkeeper/tank-raised-and-captive-bred-livestock.aspx

soapy
02-04-2016, 10:40 PM
If you want to have some kind of guide to making somewhat more responsible choices of wild caught fish you can use fish base.org and check their resilience and vulnerability estimates to help make fish choices. Scroll down each fish page towards the bottom to see numbers.

This one looks ok:

http://fishbase.org/summary/SpeciesSummary.php?ID=3718&AT=sailfin

Not as good:

http://fishbase.org/summary/SpeciesSummary.php?ID=1257&AT=tang

soapy
02-04-2016, 11:32 PM
Probably bad:

http://fishbase.org/summary/SpeciesSummary.php?ID=5903&AT=cat+shark

Snappy
02-06-2016, 08:06 PM
Are you asking - ocean farmed or wild harvested?

Dearth
02-06-2016, 09:37 PM
Are you asking - ocean farmed or wild harvested?

Was supposed to be tank raised or ocean caught but I messed up the wording

Myka
02-06-2016, 10:48 PM
Was supposed to be tank raised or ocean caught but I messed up the wording

I'd edit it for you, but lots of people voted already, so I won't change it now.

gobytron
02-10-2016, 10:14 PM
How much of an issue is this in Canada?

Seems like quite a bit of the stuff we get is ora or something similar or not endangered or even at risk...

We basically see the same 20-25 fish consistently with the odd exception here or there.

Dearth
02-10-2016, 10:21 PM
How much of an issue is this in Canada?

Seems like quite a bit of the stuff we get is ora or something similar or not endangered or even at risk...

We basically see the same 20-25 fish consistently with the odd exception here or there.

The unfortunate part for us as Canucks is that our stores, suppliers and shippers get most of what we want from the US so whatever laws prevail in the US will invariably apply to us in Canada as even though it may be legal in Canada but not the states we get nailed unfairly. There are not a lot that source their product straight from the collection country straight to Canada.

It's a big sucky for us north of the border

gobytron
02-10-2016, 10:26 PM
The unfortunate part for us as Canucks is that our stores, suppliers and shippers get most of what we want from the US so whatever laws prevail in the US will invariably apply to us in Canada as even though it may be legal in Canada but not the states we get nailed unfairly. There are not a lot that source their product straight from the collection country straight to Canada.

It's a big sucky for us north of the border

So in relation to the poll question, what does that mean?

There's also extra cost and risk for shipping higher end, rarer and more expensive fish and coral here...so why bother if you're a distributor or import/exporter.

gregzz4
02-10-2016, 11:39 PM
Picked every option on your list except # 5

I'd prefer, in most cases, to purchase tank reared and raised everything, but there are exceptions;
New additions to the market is one thing that comes to mind

gobytron
02-10-2016, 11:45 PM
that is contradictory.

I just put 5 and only 5 because there are exceptions.

I like to think I care more than I do, but when it actually comes down to it, I wouldn't let it stop me from buying something i really wanted.

That choice is a very small drop in a very large bucket anyways.

Jasoned
03-10-2016, 06:19 PM
I think the poll is confusing. Ocean farmed (to me) simply means they purposefully grew coral in the ocean to harvest. Now if you mean wild caught/collected then of course tank raised is the way to go for any fish that is capable of being tank raised / bred.