PDA

View Full Version : Is the weak Canadian dollar influencing your reef purchases?

Myka
01-31-2016, 01:45 PM
How is the weak Canadian dollar affecting you? It's multiple choice. :)

MitchM
01-31-2016, 01:52 PM
I'm triple checking all purchase prices and holding off buying anything unless necessary.

corpusse
01-31-2016, 01:58 PM
Each time I see the price of something I am more and more shocked. I recently saw flame angels for $65 when they were usually 40-45 locally. Salt has gone up too. At least pe mysis won't go up in price.

Howie
01-31-2016, 04:29 PM
Even though prices are higher I am still purchasing things. If the dollar stays crappy for awhile and everyone holds on spending then eventually all of your favorite stores online/local will close shop. Paying a higher price sucks for sure but not being able to drop into a lfs would suck even more.

brotherd
01-31-2016, 04:43 PM
I have a wish list of items that I can't get locally. Unfortunately those will have to wait until the dollar improves or I get fed up with waiting. Whichever comes first :)

Dearth
01-31-2016, 05:07 PM
I haven't really noticed an increase in online prices mind you I haven't been looking too hard either with that being said if we want an item where I live we have no choice but to have it shipped as we have no local distributor per se so for us it has always been the cost of this hobby to pay.

The Guy
01-31-2016, 06:09 PM
:canada:Our weak dollar makes it the pits to buy anything in the states so I've cut back on US purchases of anything. But "it is what it is" as they say but it sucks.

reef-keeper
01-31-2016, 11:53 PM
Even buying locally is getting pricey. I had to pick up filters for my RO/DI unit and paid over $100.00. And I didn't buy the DI resin, they were out of stock. Normally it would under that including DI resin.

Icefire
02-01-2016, 01:05 PM
Even buying locally is getting pricey. I had to pick up filters for my RO/DI unit and paid over $100.00. And I didn't buy the DI resin, they were out of stock. Normally it would under that including DI resin.

It's all USD sourced be it China or USA.

gobytron
02-01-2016, 04:35 PM
I hadn't been in an LFS for a year or so and went on a tour a month back and was gagging at prices all across the board.

RBS, one of the financial institutions that has a phenomenal track record of monitoring the currencies, has stated they are betting on .59 USD cent Canadian Dollar.

Canada held rates steady and the USA decided to do the same...not sure many people saw that combination coming.

It's scary out there.

Our economy is SO resource based now, especially oil and it's derivatives.

Oil recovery will be years...or will take an OPEC miracle.

I'm like 60% cash now.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-02-2016, 09:10 AM
We're supposed to go Maui for my sister-in-law's wedding this summer. I may just let Irene & the kids go and stay home and put what I would have spent into my mortgage instead.

I no longer shop on Amazon.com, Ebay.com, etc. I still buy cheap US gas if I go down, but even that's slowed down a lot. I mainly have been spending my money with local reefers, local pet shops & Cdn. online suppliers. None of my money goes south of the border except for some cheap gas, but only if I'm need to be there anyways (visiting friends).

byee
02-21-2016, 05:57 PM
It's definitely affected me with I purchase from the US online vendors - marine depot and bulk reef supplies. I'm more diligent comparing price to LFS. Exchange rates haven't stopped me but I've become more selective.

I'm still making purchases at eBay and Aliexpress.

Holidays will always be holidays for us - family time and time to recharge. It hasn't affected us with our plans to goto Maui in August for a couple weeks.

warriorcookie
02-22-2016, 12:04 AM
I've hardly bought anything this year other than salt.

Until things improve, it's difficult for me to justify spending the money. It sucks because it really affects the enjoyment I get from my tank when I can't buy goodies, gadgets, or new livestock.

Probably a good thing though.... We put more money towards our retirement than any year before. Tough to do that in this hobby :wink:

Jordon
02-22-2016, 01:57 PM
I've only been buying Livestock most recently, and curbing my spending on dry goods, and the majority of increases seem to be on those. It kind of ended up almost as a good thing, as I think I was spending a little too frivolously with my aquarium.

I do my best to support both LFS and online where I can, but i'm also not made of money so...

I'm glad I bought my Apex and other more expensive pieces prior before the end of the year, as this year prices are climbing fast.

Ryanerickson
02-22-2016, 03:59 PM
This is a expensive hobby I think we all new this going into it. Weak Canadian dollar ain't going to stop me from taking care of my livestock the best I can.

gobytron
02-22-2016, 04:21 PM
yeah guys.

you all knew this was an expensive hobby to get into so suck it up.

Just because things can cost 30% more now than a couple years ago is no excuse.

:lol:

I've actually found that once you have the basics (Tank, Rock, Sand, Pumps) this is a pretty inexpensive hobby to maintain.

The new technologies and methodologies are always tempting and can be fun but are also easy to avoid when you've seen so many come and go.

I generally buy salt, food and the odd supplement like selcon but other than that, it's a pretty cheap hobby to be in.

It is what you make it in that sense.

gmann
02-22-2016, 07:21 PM
yeah guys.

you all knew this was an expensive hobby to get into so suck it up.

Just because things can cost 30% more now than a couple years ago is no excuse.

:lol:

Well said...