PDA

View Full Version : Do you say "Merry Christmas"?

Myka
12-19-2015, 08:56 PM
Just curious how many people will say the expression "Merry Christmas". I hear it less and less often.

Aquattro
12-19-2015, 09:03 PM
Well, ya, but mostly around Christmas time. Because, you know, it's Christmas.

Skimmer Juice
12-19-2015, 09:16 PM
yes I still say "Merry Christmas" does that date me as old? I went to my nephews Christmas concert and they were not allowed to say Christmas or celebrate any of the songs , as its now offensive to do so . The world sure is getting out of control .

Myka
12-19-2015, 09:26 PM
I love it when checkout clerks at box stores say "Happy Holidays", and I say "Merry Christmas" back, and then they say, "Merry Christmas!!!"

jorjef
12-19-2015, 09:30 PM
I make a point of it... If I make the effort to give a season greeting it is a firm Merry Christmas.. It's kind of odd, twenty years ago I may have avoided it just because I wasn't a huge Christmas fan but now with all the politically correct crap I make a point of saying it loud and proud...

RMC
12-19-2015, 09:32 PM
Merry Christmas Everyone!!

jr999
12-20-2015, 12:31 AM
If I get a Happy Holidays, I just say I don't understand that phrase and keep moving along.

Coasting
12-20-2015, 01:13 AM
I'm not religious and stopped being into Christmas when I realised santa didn't exist. So I really haven't participated in the last few years at all since not living at home.

But im on the fence about saying it.... Do I say it just to spite those who say happy holidays. Because I enjoy that kind of stuff....
or do I ignore it and say nothing because I don't believe in what religion has plastered a Christmas. I don't think Jesus was born on Christmas, and I happily believe the Christians stole the holiday from the Pagans. Heck my familys Roman Catholic, my grandmother would be having a fit hearing me say that....

Its truly just a retail holiday so there should be NOTHING wrong with saying merry Christmas. People should be able to freely say WHATEVER they choose to celebrate. I personally wont be offended if somebody says "Happy Hanukkah".

I still dress my dog up for Christmas..... I still buy my dog Christmas gifts... bahah

The Guy
12-20-2015, 01:23 AM
It's Merry Christmas now, in the past and the future as well for me! This society now is far too politically correct about too much in our lives these days IMO. :x-mas: And by the way Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all the Canreef folks.

kien
12-20-2015, 01:49 AM
I say Merry Chirstmas and Happy Holidays. They are both one and the same to me :-).

My kids school is one of those highly politically correct schools that have banned "Christmas". They celebrate the holidays with a holiday concert. That's fine, I don't really have a problem with that either actually. I will continue to wish people a Merry Christmas even if you don't celebrate Christmas I want you to have a merry one anyway! :-)

Proteus
12-20-2015, 02:00 AM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd400/titus991/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1449167338195.jpg (http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/titus991/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1449167338195.jpg.html)

Myka
12-20-2015, 02:21 AM
https://inkslingerblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/coexist.jpg

jorjef
12-20-2015, 02:24 AM
Religion and getting political all in one thread.....great.

acepumping
12-20-2015, 02:50 AM
100% merry Christmas. Because that's what we say here!!
It's always been this way and should stay this way..

duncangweller
12-20-2015, 03:00 AM
^+1^

Ryanerickson
12-20-2015, 03:02 AM
100% merry Christmas. Because that's what we say here!!
It's always been this way and should stay this way..

This

acepumping
12-20-2015, 03:03 AM
If I were to go to another country and they said something else, i would say whatever it is there, but your here so you go by what we say here. Yes, there is other religions and all.. but keep that in your house and family who believe in it.. trying to change our society won't fly with me!

Coasting
12-20-2015, 03:04 AM
I feel like im allowed to be more bitter about the christmas thing....

My birthdays on the 25th and im so sick of hearing people say "oh you share your birthday with Jesus!!!" (And 100 other versions of that one) Or "Im surprised your parents didnt name you Noelle"

But i will still either say nothing because i hate the holidays or i will say merry christmas because that is what i celebrate regardless of religion.

hunggi74
12-20-2015, 03:25 AM
I say Merry Christmas even though I'm atheist by all definitions of the word. I miss not having to worry about who is offended or not by a phrase. Isn't there enough stuff going on around for us to worry about?? And I'm having turkey with all the fixings. And I'm going to buy Austrailian corals harvested from the ocean on Boxing Day.

sphelps
12-20-2015, 03:30 AM
Welcome to Canada, a country that promotes multi culture. Not everyone celebrates Christmas and since it is does stem from a religion it really makes no sense to force it on others who have different beliefs. Say merry Christmas or whatever you prefer, it's all good, but don't always expect it from others. Big companies have to please everyone, happy holidays seems pretty appropriate.

Taipan
12-20-2015, 03:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbfMmCf5-ds

acepumping
12-20-2015, 03:45 AM
Welcome to Canada, a country that promotes multi culture. Not everyone celebrates Christmas and since it is does stem from a religion it really makes no sense to force it on others who have different beliefs. Say merry Christmas or whatever you prefer, it's all good, but don't always expect it from others. Big companies have to please everyone, happy holidays seems pretty appropriate.

No, it's been merry Christmas for how long?
To me, they are trying to change what has been here for yrs..

What made me bitter about this was this:

Talking to somebody in a store.

Guy says: happy holidays
Me: merry Christmas
Guy: merry Christmas? Don't you mean happy holidays?
Me: no, merry Christmas (chuckling)
Guy: don't you think that's a bit rude?
Me: no not all, why would it be rude.
Guy: I guess you got no respect! Happy holidays.
Me: MERRY BLEEP CHRISTMAS

a fine example of some people trying to change ways!!

acepumping
12-20-2015, 03:46 AM
No, it's been merry Christmas for how long?
To me, they are trying to change what has been here for yrs..

What made me bitter about this was this:

Talking to somebody in a store.

Guy says: happy holidays
Me: merry Christmas
Guy: merry Christmas? Don't you mean happy holidays?
Me: no, merry Christmas (chuckling)
Guy: don't you think that's a bit rude?
Me: no not all, why would it be rude.
Guy: I guess you got no respect! Happy holidays.
Me: MERRY BLEEP CHRISTMAS

a fine example of some people trying to change ways!!

Oooppss didn't mean to quote the main post haha

Proteus
12-20-2015, 03:52 AM
I couldn't care less on how people want to greet me during the holidays. What matters is that they took the time to cheerfully acknowledge me

Proteus
12-20-2015, 03:53 AM
I am as secular as it gets. But it bothers me that people seem to think that Christmas is from one denomination

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd400/titus991/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1449758135922.jpg (http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/titus991/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1449758135922.jpg.html)

Coasting
12-20-2015, 04:00 AM
I am as secular as it gets. But it bothers me that people seem to think that Christmas is from one denomination

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd400/titus991/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1449758135922.jpg (http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/titus991/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1449758135922.jpg.html)
Yes!! This!! Thank you!!

brotherd
12-20-2015, 04:12 AM
Say whatever the season means to you. But never tell me I can't say Merry Christmas.

Proteus
12-20-2015, 04:16 AM
Say whatever the season means to you. But never tell me I can't say Merry Christmas.

Never would. a mutual respect for others is all that is required

brotherd
12-20-2015, 04:20 AM
Agreed.

Reefer Rob
12-20-2015, 04:53 AM
In Canada we have freedom of religion, nobody can tell me I can't celebrate Christmas, or any other religious event that involves eating like a pig and consuming large quantities of alcohol.

Merry Christmas!

Ian
12-20-2015, 04:54 AM
I am not religious in any way but I do say merry Christmas. If the person I say it to takes offense that is their problem not mine. If you say happy Hanukah, or whatever to me my answer is thank you same to you......see its easy all this B.S. about being politically correct ****es me off!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-20-2015, 06:58 AM
We only say Merry Christmas in my extended family which includes devout Muslims, Buddhist and atheist. None of the politically correct cr@p for us. I taught my girls to say and write Merry Christmas, not Xmas, which I HATE!

F.H
12-20-2015, 10:12 AM
I could care less about being politically correct, but to me it simply seems more considerate to say "happy holidays" because regardless of what they celebrate, it covers all bases. It simply seems more polite. I don't understand why some people are adamant about pushing that one holiday onto others who may not celebrate it.

You wouldn't say "Eid Mubarak" to someone who's Jewish or Christian, or I wouldn't say "Happy Passover" to someone who's not Jewish, so why would I say "Merry Christmas" to people who are not Christian?

It's not a matter of offending someone, but simply a matter of being more respectful and courteous. I see nothing wrong with being polite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbfMmCf5-ds

I think you've made a Seinfeld reference before as well, well done! Keep em coming hahahaha.

Simons
12-20-2015, 03:11 PM
Christmas to me is a winter festival nothing more. Once we realize this whole religious thing is something man made from our bronze age upbringing the better the world will become.

So I don't care what people say, to me it's more about being happy than celebrating some myth.

Treebeard
12-20-2015, 04:11 PM
Hmm, let me think about it...Merry Christmas!

rishu_pepper
12-20-2015, 04:33 PM
Merry Christmas, everybody!

Reef Pilot
12-20-2015, 04:45 PM
It is kind of sad this has even become a topic, not only here, but elsewhere in the media. For me, it's Merry Christmas. But am not offended either by Happy Holidays, or other expressions of joy with the season. To each, his own.

I am very much a freedom kind of guy, whether it is speech, what I do, or whatever, and don't much appreciate efforts by the media, politicians, anybody, to tell me what to say and how to think.

toytech
12-20-2015, 08:58 PM
why jesus`s birthday is on the 25

Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. The festival began when Roman authorities chose “an enemy of the Roman people” to represent the “Lord of Misrule.” Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman.

B. The ancient Greek writer poet and historian Lucian (in his dialogue entitled Saturnalia) describes the festival’s observance in his time. In addition to human sacrifice, he mentions these customs: widespread intoxication; going from house to house while singing naked; rape and other sexual license; and consuming human-shaped biscuits (still produced in some English and most German bakeries during the Christmas season).

C. In the 4th century CE, Christianity imported the Saturnalia festival hoping to take the pagan masses in with it. Christian leaders succeeded in converting to Christianity large numbers of pagans by promising them that they could continue to celebrate the Saturnalia as Christians.[2]

D. The problem was that there was nothing intrinsically Christian about Saturnalia. To remedy this, these Christian leaders named Saturnalia’s concluding day, December 25th, to be Jesus’ birthday

Sounds more civilized than Christmas with my family , but that's just me.

daplatapus
12-21-2015, 01:36 PM
For personal and religious reasons I do not celebrate Christmas but totally understand that for many it is a very cherished time of year. But I am surprised at how many people are offended when I do not return the greeting but just say Thank You to their well wishes.

Aquattro
12-21-2015, 01:47 PM
For personal and religious reasons I do not celebrate Christmas but totally understand that for many it is a very cherished time of year. But I am surprised at how many people are offended when I do not return the greeting but just say Thank You to their well wishes.

Really? I can't say I've ever felt anyone was offended. I read all the PC crap online, but never witnessed it in real life. Talking about this with my wife, who works in retail. They're required, and feel it's justifiable, to say happy holidays. Not everyone celebrates it and there many other festivities this time of year.

I say Merry Christmas, mostly because I have kids and for our family, it's Christmas time. But in no way would I ever be offended by someone not responding in kind. That's just ignorant.

Delphinus
12-21-2015, 05:07 PM
If someone says "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas", I think it's important to note that they are still extending a friendly greeting and they're being nice. To me, I value inclusion. I might tell someone Merry Christmas, or I might tell them Happy Holidays, or Best of Season .. whatever I decide to say at the moment.Again, all of it is a friendly greeting, and whatever the words are chosen by someone else to say to me, I recognize it as friendliness and appreciate the gesture. I will never be offended by that.

I don't think there's a war on Christmas. I think some people react far too negatively to the concept of "politically correct." In fact, I think the irony here is that it's politically correct to complain about being politically correct. :lol: Rather, I see the whole "Happy Holidays" effort as being about inclusion and respect. But on the flip side, I've never known anyone in my whole life who was ever offended by being told "Merry Christmas" even if they themselves were not exactly of the Christian faith or whatever. All my friends always just appreciated the gesture of goodwill and friendliness (see paragraph #1 above). If your experience has been different then maybe you just need to meet nicer people!! :lol: Or you know what, make the choice to truly own the values you want to represent, and lead by example.

Just be nice to each other. It's really not that hard. :)

Peace out! And Happy Kwanzaa to all. :)

Aquattro
12-21-2015, 05:33 PM
If someone says "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas", I think it's important to note that they are still extending a friendly greeting and they're being nice. To me, I value inclusion. I might tell someone Merry Christmas, or I might tell them Happy Holidays, or Best of Season .. whatever I decide to say at the moment.Again, all of it is a friendly greeting, and whatever the words are chosen by someone else to say to me, I recognize it as friendliness and appreciate the gesture. I will never be offended by that.

I don't think there's a war on Christmas. I think some people react far too negatively to the concept of "politically correct." In fact, I think the irony here is that it's politically correct to complain about being politically correct. :lol: Rather, I see the whole "Happy Holidays" effort as being about inclusion and respect. But on the flip side, I've never known anyone in my whole life who was ever offended by being told "Merry Christmas" even if they themselves were not exactly of the Christian faith or whatever. All my friends always just appreciated the gesture of goodwill and friendliness (see paragraph #1 above). If your experience has been different then maybe you just need to meet nicer people!! :lol: Or you know what, make the choice to truly own the values you want to represent, and lead by example.

I vote this one "Best Answer" :)

mark
12-21-2015, 05:57 PM
I'll say Merry Christmas but with the Modern Christmas season having so little to do with the birth of Christ, Happy Holidays is just as appropriate.

Wheelman76
12-21-2015, 08:23 PM

Well said!!

Reefer Rob
12-21-2015, 10:35 PM

Nailed it!

AquaAddict
12-30-2015, 03:26 AM
If I was to say Merry Christmas to someone Jewish, I would be delighted if they said Happy Hannukah back to me. And that goes for any other faith or belief as well.

AquaAddict

GQsmooth
11-25-2016, 02:31 PM
I love how we allow other cultures to come into our country and dictate our traditions and values.

I still say Merry Christmas.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-25-2016, 05:49 PM
Our entire family says MERRY CHRISTMAS.

I'm all for multiculturalism, but that does not mean we have to make our own Canadian traditions subordinate to traditions from other countries. Being strictly PC makes me want to gag, btw, which is probably true for a lot of other people. If people are offended by our saying Merry Christmas, then that's their problem since greeting fellow Canadians with a hearty "Merry Christmas!" is a long-standing Canadian tradition. If others want to greet each other with other sayings fine. If I'm traveling in another country while they're celebrating their own religious holidays, great, I'll use their traditional greetings. If I'm in their country, I'll be respectful of their traditions. That's not PC, that's just being polite.

I agree with AquaAddict and would be delighted if someone from another faith or culture greets my "Merry Christmas" with their own traditional greeting. Allowing the PC Police to impose a generic "Happy Holiday" on me, though, just won't fly. If my daughters' school imposed a ban on Merry Christmas at school, I'd make it a point to walk through the hallways and greet every teacher and administrator with a hearty "Merry Christmas" just to take a stand on this issue. I'd rather they teach the kids to be proud of their own cultural traditions and greet each other with either a "Merry Christmas" to acknowledge Canadian traditions or their own "Happy Hannukah", etc. rather than impose a PC "Happy Holidays" on everyone.

Here in Canada:

If someone greets me with a "Happy Holidays",
then I'll likely ask, "To which holiday are you referring to?"
to which they will probably respond, "Christmas",
and I'll come back with a "Merry Christmas to you, then!"

For myself and my family, we greet all of you with a hearty "Merry Christmas!"

Anthony, Irene, Felicia & Isabella

WarDog
11-25-2016, 06:01 PM
Poll reopened.

Merry Christmas!

mrhasan
11-25-2016, 07:35 PM
Despite being from a different faith, I greet with "Merry Christmas and happy holidays" (whenever greeting is expected)....that covers both ends and I don't get into trouble.

To whom it may concern:

Merry Christmas & happy holidays fellow reefers :mrgreen:

Delphinus
11-25-2016, 08:34 PM
Do you people actually know anyone who told you they were offended by you saying "Merry Christmas" or are you just sensitive to the issue when someone uses a different greeting?

Here's the thing (maybe I live a sheltered existence but I kinda doubt it) I've never known anyone to be offended by the phrase. But on the flip side I know a LOT of people who seem to feel defensive about this or at least needing to emphasize that it "should" be "Merry Christmas".

Say Merry Christmas if it makes you happy. But if someone uses a different greeting to you .. maybe just be happy that they made the effort to say something nice to you. Isn't that more along the spirit of the season anyhow?

Coasting
11-25-2016, 09:32 PM
Do you people actually know anyone who told you they were offended by you saying "Merry Christmas" or are you just sensitive to the issue when someone uses a different greeting?

A client where i used to work tore a strip out of us for saying Merry Christmas and offering him a flyer for Pet photos with Santa. He didnt celebrate christmas and he made sure we knew that after what we said. Appearently we were supposed to be psychic and know he was jewish and not say such horrid offensive words to him.

These people do exist.

Dearth
11-25-2016, 09:40 PM
I do not have religious bone in my body nor believe in any faiths however with that being said there is nothing wrong with saying "Merry Christmas" it's just words after all

For me Christmas has been and always will be for the kids for them it's a magical time of the year it's adults that ruin it for everybody else IMO

Dendromad
11-25-2016, 10:56 PM
I say Merry Christmas always have and always will. I don't mind others saying Happy Holidays what I mind is all the Christmas stuff getting put up in f'ing October and November!!!!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-27-2016, 09:53 AM

My post was in response to Kien's posting about how his "kids school is one of those highly politically correct schools that have banned "Christmas"." To me that's just wrong. I'd be one of those crazy parents who protests this sort of PC heavy handedness if it happened at my kids' school. Fortunately, the admin and teachers at Brantford Elementary are not PC Nazis.

Anthony

shiftline
11-29-2016, 02:49 PM
I sure do. I don't see why anyone should be offended. It's just a generic greeting used around Christmas time. And since December 25 is an official stat holiday labeled as Christmas your just wishing them a good day :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

intarsiabox
11-29-2016, 11:16 PM

Yep, more than once.

Reef Pilot
11-29-2016, 11:45 PM
You know, I can't actually remember seeing anyone being offended by either Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays. I am sure it happens, though. I will use either depending on whom I am addressing (even though I am not known to be a PC kind of guy).

But having worked in retail most of my life, I understand the fine line that front line people have to straddle sometimes with this subject. And in many cases, their employers instruct them to say Happy Holidays, so they have no choice. So hopefully no one gets offended by them just trying to do their jobs as best they can.

And wonder if this subject will always come up this time of year,... over and over and over.... Maybe we are all too sensitive..., or just don't have something better to do than comment on this subject (like me, haha).

gregzz4
11-30-2016, 04:34 AM
My family has been in North America for 7 generations, and in Canada for 5.

Merry Christmas is a way of life.
If you don't like it, go stuff yourself.
This is CANADA and we celebrate CHRISTMAS

I'm not a xenophobe, but you better get used to it :biggrin:, or I will become one ...

gregzz4
11-30-2016, 04:36 AM
aarg
double post

Myka
11-30-2016, 12:35 PM
Maybe we are all too sensitive...

I think you hit the nail on the head right there! With all this politically correct hoopla, and human rights it's made people ultra sensitive. I wish we could go back to the 90s.

WarDog
11-30-2016, 01:53 PM
I wish we could go back to the 90s.

90‘s? Pffftttt... 90‘s were aweful. You want to go back to the 70‘s, where you can talk like Archie Bunker! (YouTube him if you dont know).

Dearth
11-30-2016, 03:02 PM
90‘s? Pffftttt... 90‘s were aweful. You want to go back to the 70‘s, where you can talk like Archie Bunker! (YouTube him if you dont know).

I would prefer to forget the '70's altogether bellbottoms, lederhosen and really really bad hair styles now the '80's were the rebellious years ...

Reef Pilot
11-30-2016, 03:49 PM
I would prefer to forget the '70's altogether bellbottoms, lederhosen and really really bad hair styles now the '80's were the rebellious years ...
Haha, I loved the 70's, going to school, having fun, no worries,... I do remember the long hair, beards, and yeah, hate it when my wife brings out the old pics to show kids, friends... Do remember the bellbottoms, not the lederhosen, though.

But it certainly was not a PC time, and seemed liked anything was OK. No social media, or even cell phones back then. Did watch Star Trek, though. People would have laughed at Happy Holidays.... My, how things have changed!!... Although many things do come around again, too, incl common overused language phrases (eg cool, awesome, like, like, did I say like, haha, etc). I guess kids will still always be kids...

Taipan
11-30-2016, 05:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX55AzGku5Y

Jordon
12-01-2016, 04:14 PM
I say it. My boss even encourages it which is nice.

I haven't had any bad experiences saying it either. I wouldn't get offended if someone said "Happy Chanukah" to me or anything and i'm not jewish. I wish my muslim colleagues Happy Eid, and try to be thoughtful of others celebrations around the year.

dino
12-02-2016, 02:05 PM
I prefer bah humbug

Dearth
12-04-2016, 03:45 AM
The only time I can honestly say I have met people who were offended by the the words Merry Christmas was in the lower mainland in 2009.

I'm not a fan of the lower mainland to begin with but I went on a 3 day trip with 2 friends in early December to go Christmas shopping and every store we hit it seemed that there was a cold chill in the air when we would say those dreaded MC words. Even many of the customers in Vancouver, Burnaby and Richmond all seemed to have a burr up their butt about using those words.

We got what we wanted and flew out a day early granted we had fun but couldn't believe the negativity down there. Must say they definitely were not feeling the Christmas spirit that year.