PDA

View Full Version : Stupid fan wiring...

Myka
06-13-2015, 10:02 PM
So I bought this super cool computer fan that's clear with blue LEDs thinking it will look sweet in my stand and would be easy to find an AC adapter power supply to plug into a wall outlet. Well, I was wrong (first time ever ;) ), or at least I think I was wrong because I can't figure this thing out. I figure a 3-pin atx to a powersupply is easy...ohhh nooooo.

Wth do I have to do to make this work? Can I go 3-pin atx to usb to ac adapter power supply? I need 12V 1400 mA.

WarDog
06-13-2015, 10:35 PM
Here ya go, thank me later.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/vantec-2-5-3-5-5-25-sata-ide-6e-36790-1013.htm

This is assuming your fan came with a 3 to 4 pin molex connector.

The second picture shows the power supply with a 4 pin molex. This is what I used for my fan in the stand. The LED's on the fan went kaput about 2 months after install, lol.

babnika
06-14-2015, 01:23 AM
http://www.coolerguys.com/extps.html

Myka
06-14-2015, 02:48 AM
This is assuming your fan came with a 3 to 4 pin molex connector.

The second picture shows the power supply with a 4 pin molex. This is what I used for my fan in the stand. The LED's on the fan went kaput about 2 months after install, lol.

Yeah, the LEDs aren't waterproof, so I'm thinking they might not last long. I was also thinking that I could probably put a dab of silicone on them to help longevity.

My fan came with a 3-pin apx to 4-pin Molex connector, but if I use the 4-pin only 2 of the wires go into it and then there is another 3-pin separate with the third wire in it. Does that make sense or do you need a pic?

http://www.coolerguys.com/extps.html

I did see the Cooler Guys apx power supply, but it's like $60! I don't think any of the ones in the linked page will work though.

eli@fijireefrock.com
06-14-2015, 02:58 AM
If you want to run your fan simply a plug and play switch or a timer on/off why not get a cheap converter and have it wired directly to your - and + ends of the fan,..voila.
I have mine similar on a timer running of a AC/DC converter for the last 2 years with no issues.
You need something like the link below.
Ebay AC/DC converter (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AC-Converter-Adapter-DC-12V-1-4A-Power-Supply-Charger-US-5-5mm-x-2-1mm-1400mA-/351349027653?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51ce08b345)

eli@fijireefrock.com
06-14-2015, 02:59 AM
I soldered mine directly as long as you can figure out witch end is your - and + as the 3rd wire from the fan is really not needed

Myka
06-14-2015, 03:04 AM
why not get a cheap converter and have it wired directly to your - and + ends of the fan,..voila.

Ya, but I don't know what to do with the third wire. I was just hoping I could find something plug and play.

I soldered mine directly as long as you can figure out witch end is your - and + as the 3rd wire from the fan is really not needed

Isn't the third wire the LEDs? Or is the third wire for speed control?

eli@fijireefrock.com
06-14-2015, 03:07 AM
3rd wire is speed control..in my case I simply cut it out as not using it at all.

Myka
06-14-2015, 04:08 AM
3rd wire is speed control..in my case I simply cut it out as not using it at all.

Ok, I'll pick up a 12V 1400 mA ac adapter and wire it in. Hopefully the LEDs light up. It's not plug and play, but it's easier than I thought it would be. :lol:

mike31154
06-14-2015, 05:39 PM
Photo would certainly help sort things out. What colours are the 3 wires on the fan? There is a standard colour coding for DC circuits, but you never know these days. It's 12VDC so to run the fan you really only need 2 wires, + & -. The 3rd wire is, as already mentioned, either speed control (requiring additional external circuitry) or for the LEDs.

If you have a 9 volt battery kicking around, it should be easy to find out which are your +- leads. You'll need to cut off the molex connector & strip the wires, or remove the pins. With a jewellers screwdriver, you can generally push the pin out of a molex connector. They have a metal tab that locks the pin in place. Touch the wires to the 9V battery terminals & see in which configuration the fan spins up. Might even light up the LED lights. The fan should run with 9 volts, or at least try to once you get the polarity right. It may even run in either direction if it's reversible. To replace the molex & have a simple interface rather than soldering etc, an adapter as shown in the link below will come in handy in the future. Allows you to adapt your fan wiring to most any wall wart with the standard DC pin connector. Your local electronic supplier may have some of these in stock.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DC12V-Power-Plug-Adapter-Connector-for-5050-3528-led-strip-light-power-supply-/161546454610?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item259ceb4652

I have a bunch of them to adapt my DIY LED strips.

With respect to the LEDs being waterproof, I doubt your fan itself is waterproof either, being designed for a computer (dry environment). The solder connections will all be relatively exposed unless the fan is rated as being water proof or water resistant. Best to keep it all away from a humid environment. Not a big deal with regard to personal safety with 12VDC, but over the long term, exposed to moisture or excess humidity, the various solder connections will corrode. Having said that, I've used standard 12 volt fans in DIY lights over my tank for years without issue.

Myka
06-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the help Mike, I'll test with a 9V battery. Good idea! At least then I should be able to figure out if the LEDs are on the third wire or not. The wires don't have color coding - they are wrapped in clear wire coating and I can see the bare wires through the clear coating. The fan is not rated for moist environments, and I don't expect it to last forever, but for $7 I can replace it once a year if I need to. :D It's going in the back wall of my stand to help move moisture out of the stand.

babnika
06-14-2015, 08:39 PM
I am currently running 5 120 mm fans off one of these power supplies.these were purposefully built with the molex connector already built on. your fan should have come with an adapter they also carry them there plug & play :question:

Myka
06-14-2015, 08:44 PM
I am currently running 5 120 mm fans off one of these power supplies.these were purposefully built with the molex connector already built on. your fan should have come with an adapter they also carry them there plug & play :question:

It might not work because only 2 of the 3 wires go into the Molex. If I use the Molex, the third wire is still to be accounted for. If the third wire is indeed for speed control, and not the LEDs, then I'm golden. I'm going to do the test Mike mentioned with the 9V battery, then take a trip to my electronic shop and see what I can fabricate.

WarDog
06-14-2015, 09:07 PM
Mindy, don't worry about the number of wires. The third wire is nothing to be concerned about. One is + and one is -. It really is plug and play with the power supplies that are linked at the beginning of the thread. Just need to use the supplied 3 to 4 pin molex (supplied with fan) and plug into power supply. I went through all this when I installed mine. Only problem I had was I needed to switch one of the pins on the molex to line up with the molex on the power supply. Its really easy peasy!

WarDog
06-14-2015, 09:18 PM
Here are the only two pics I have of the install. You will be surprised how hard it is to find the power supply at any local electronics store. The Source store is a joke now-a-days, much better when it use to be Radio Shack, for electronics anyways. Lots of power supplies on Ebay, but who wants to wait that long? I ended up getting the power supply from my local NCIX, and just added the extra unused hardware to my computer junk box.

https://c3.staticflickr.com/3/2896/14637593499_4e37c62aeb_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/oituzH)

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5585/14963041981_b8746aa44c_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/oNev5r)

newsaltfan
06-15-2015, 01:47 PM
Mindy, take a trip to B&E electronics. Those guys will help you out. well I'm guessing they will, the guys that were in the Regina store helped me on several occasions.

mike31154
06-15-2015, 02:12 PM
Mindy, take a trip to B&E electronics. Those guys will help you out. well I'm guessing they will, the guys that were in the Regina store helped me on several occasions.

^ This! Looks like these folks will have pretty well anything you need. No need to wait for shipping with online shopping for these kind of parts since you have a bona fide electronics supplier in Saskatoon. I see they have an online presence as well & stock molex connectors. Molex parts will only cost a few bucks, then all you need is any small 12 volt power supply. They should even have the special tool to remove & insert Molex pins. Either cut the connector off, replace with molex or get an adapter like I linked to & cut the molex off your fan. I've recycled a few small power supplies from obsolete equipment that are 12 volt. I'd be surprised if most of us don't have one or two cluttering up a junk drawer. Just need to make sure of the +- wire polarity when you hook it up.

http://www.be-electronics.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=molex

Humidity shouldn't be too much of an issue in your stand & yeah, for $7 not a big deal if the fan bites it after a year or even months. The B&E guys can probably recommend some better moisture resistant connectors for you. Next thing you know, you'll be fabricating bigger & better electronic thingys.

https://youtu.be/L8Mfvv1PqpY

Myka
06-15-2015, 02:30 PM
Thanks guys! I'm actually pretty good at soldering and connecting and working with shrink tube and all that. I had to re-wire lights on my logging truck trailer every month or so (they vibrate around and wear off the coating and short out on the frame eventually...always fun finding exactly where the problem is with 110 feet of truck and trailer). The difference is that I just had to cut out a bad section and re-connect, so I knew what I was doing. As long as I know which wires do what, I'll be fine. The only reason this isn't completed yet is because B&E isn't open on the weekends. The guy at OTV Technology where I got the fan told me to go to B&E for a power supply. I didn't want to wait, so I tried about 6 other places, and wasted a bunch of time. :lol: I can't believe how hard it is to find a simple 12VDC power supply these days! I'll use the Molex power supply if the price is reasonable, if not, then I'll just buy a power supply with a barrel connector, cut it off and splice in my fan. :)

mike31154
06-15-2015, 02:45 PM
As long as I know which wires do what, I'll be fine. The only reason this isn't completed yet is because B&E isn't open on the weekends. I can't believe how hard it is to find a simple 12VDC power supply these days!

You don't have a Can Tire or Wal Merde in Saskatoon? $s to donuts they'll have a 12 volt wall wart. They will probably also have a cheap digital multi-meter for sale. A useful tool for figuring out polarity, i.e. which wires do what. You're not really going to hurt anything with 12 volts DC if you get the polarity wrong, especially with the 9 volt battery scenario. If you reverse the polarity, the fan will either run in reverse or not at all. LEDs as well, they are essentially diodes, so correct polarity, they'll conduct (light up), reverse polarity, they won't. You'd have to apply a very high voltage to cook them in reverse polarity.

Myka
06-15-2015, 02:56 PM
You don't have a Can Tire or Wal Merde in Saskatoon? $s to donuts they'll have a 12 volt wall wart. They will probably also have a cheap digital multi-meter for sale. A useful tool for figuring out polarity, i.e. which wires do what. You're not really going to hurt anything with 12 volts DC if you get the polarity wrong, especially with the 9 volt battery scenario. If you reverse the polarity, the fan will either run in reverse or not at all. LEDs as well, they are essentially diodes, so correct polarity, they'll conduct (light up), reverse polarity, they won't. You'd have to apply a very high voltage to cook them in reverse polarity.

Neither Crappy Tire nor Wally's had a 12VDC power supply. So you owe me donuts!! :D

GoFish
06-16-2015, 03:06 AM
First thing that comes to mind when looking for 12vdc power supply would be "surplus" section in princess auto. Looks like you have one in Saskatoon
Sorry havent read the rest of the thread or if this will help.

Myka
06-16-2015, 02:38 PM
First thing that comes to mind when looking for 12vdc power supply would be "surplus" section in princess auto. Looks like you have one in Saskatoon
Sorry havent read the rest of the thread or if this will help.

I tried there too. They had one 12VDC, but it was 3A with alligator clips on it.

I'll get to B&E sometime this week.

mike31154
06-16-2015, 03:00 PM
12 volt 3 amp with alligator clips! That would work great. Just because you only need 1400 mA, doesn't mean a 3 amp power supply can't be used. It will only supply what the fan draws, no more. Better to have a larger supply working at 15-20% than a smaller one at 90%.

MKLKT
06-24-2015, 12:49 AM
Just as an FYI, I'm pretty sure the yellow wire is strictly RPM/monitoring, doesn't actually control anything. I remember having red/black molex fans with fan control.

Myka
06-24-2015, 02:24 PM
12 volt 3 amp with alligator clips! That would work great. Just because you only need 1400 mA, doesn't mean a 3 amp power supply can't be used. It will only supply what the fan draws, no more. Better to have a larger supply working at 15-20% than a smaller one at 90%.

Oh really? I didn't realize it would only draw what it needed. I got one from B&E that is 1500 mA.

Just as an FYI, I'm pretty sure the yellow wire is strictly RPM/monitoring, doesn't actually control anything. I remember having red/black molex fans with fan control.

I am going to have to experiment because the wires are not colored, they have clear coating on all of them.

One of these days I'll have enough time to get back to this project as well as actually getting the tank running! :lol: