PDA

View Full Version : Apex and Shaw

Simons
05-09-2015, 05:21 PM
I have noticed suddenly that I am not getting email or txt alerts from either of my Apex units (I have two). Nothing has changed in there settings, I have checked that the email passwords are valid etc. I attempted to do the email test option in the network setup and I do not receive any emails. Apex Fusion is logging alerts but I am not getting notified of them.

I thought maybe it was something to do with my router (I didn't change any setting on it either) so I put one of my APex units in the DMZ zone, just to be sure there isn't any port issues and still I am not receiving anything from my units.

All the web functionality is working, I can connect to them easily, control outlets etc...I know that my setting are correct, been running same setting for years now with no issues..why would BOTH my apex units suddenly not be able to send email alerts? If they are being logged in Fusion I know it is communicating...

I am not a novice with networking or port forwarding etc so I am really baffled. The only way I noticed is when I do a water change my temp on my probe can go below the alarm setting because it is out of the water, I noticed I got no email or txt notifying me of this. I ran tests on my other tank, and sure enough I am not getting anything from it either....

has shaw changed something on their end? SMTP ports? did they change their mail server from shawmail.cg.shawcable.net??

Can someone else on shaw do an email test from their Apex to see if you are getting them?

Aquattro
05-09-2015, 05:35 PM
Just sent a test. Waiting. I did get some alerts last month, but it's not something that triggers often. I'll update in a few..

Aquattro
05-09-2015, 05:41 PM
nothing yet

Simons
05-09-2015, 05:46 PM
I know it isn't my networking settings, fusion is connected and I can control everything..just the email / txt portion isn't working...must be shaw is all I can think of....

there appears to be someone else having issue with 'shaw' email I noticed on the Neptune forum.

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?10842-Email-not-working-on-Apex-but-working-on-Fusion&highlight=shaw

Aquattro
05-09-2015, 06:08 PM
Ya, all my remote stuff works, just email. Like I said, I got a warning last month, so if they changed something, it's recent. I use mail.shaw.ca, tried both 25 and 587, no luck.

Simons
05-09-2015, 06:13 PM
I just spoke with Shaw, they said they are now requiring SSL and port 587

Aquattro
05-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Just used a SMTP tester to send test to the config as detailed in Apex and it works fine. Not a Shaw thing

Aquattro
05-09-2015, 06:15 PM
I just spoke with Shaw, they said they are now requiring SSL and port 587

Nope, just sent a test on 25, non authenticated

Aquattro
05-09-2015, 06:17 PM
download smtp tester and try 25, works fine :)

Aquattro
05-09-2015, 06:21 PM
As a second test, I just drove my temp down to 74 and immediately got an email alarm. I suspect the "test" function isn't working in the networking config.

Aquattro
05-09-2015, 06:23 PM
Although, the email came from fusion, not base unit. Not sure if that's by design, or two separate systems.

Aquattro
05-09-2015, 06:27 PM
My base is set to send via smtp thru Shaw. Email gets sent to gmail account. Fusion is sending me email to gmail account, not sure if that's tied to the base unit config, or something I set up initially with fusion.
Shaw mail does relay to gmail using port 25, no SSL using SMTP applet.

If you're using all Shaw, maybe there's a problem with your account?

Simons
05-09-2015, 06:33 PM
according to the shaw guy I spoke to they are initiating all these changes globally at various times. It is possible that your area just might not be affected yet.

For now I can setup an email alert in Fusion, but are you able to txt? I do not see Telus in the list of carriers?

Simons
05-09-2015, 06:43 PM
As a second test, I just drove my temp down to 74 and immediately got an email alarm. I suspect the "test" function isn't working in the networking config.

I just turned my email alert to on and got an email only from fusion not from the Apex and I didn't get a txt.

Aquattro
05-09-2015, 07:05 PM
I don't use the text feature, email works the same.

Simons
05-09-2015, 07:16 PM
I want everyone to know that shaw is migrating their email settings, I have posted this issue on the neptune website here:

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?10966-strange-issues-no-email-or-text-suddenly&p=73640#post73640

BE WARNED, you must take action or you will not get notifications directly from your Apex base unit.

Aquattro
05-09-2015, 07:18 PM
didn't work with 587 either. Does Apex use SSL? Thought not.

Simons
05-09-2015, 07:20 PM
currently no it doesn't, this is the response from the Apex Forum:

That's the same symptom as the person (also using Shaw cable) who started the other thread in which you posted. It looks like Shaw has tightened up their system, and is now incompatible with the Apex email

A couple of options:

- Disable email in the Apex and just let APEX Fusion handle alarm notifications.
- create a free SMTP2GO.com account and use that for sending email from the Apex.

The free version of SMTP2GO is limited to 20 emails a day. If you use a “To” and an “Alt-to,” then you will be limited to 10 emails a day. The settings for this are:

To set this up:
1. First go to SMTP2go.com
2. Set up an account
3. Verify It
4. Then configure your Apex settings as:
SMTP server: smtpcorp.com
Port: 2525
To: Your email
Alt-to: another email address
Email authentication enabled
Email delay: 60
user name: SMTP2GO username
password: SMTP2GO password.

Aquattro
05-09-2015, 07:46 PM
And while testing, I just wiped my entire unit. Nice.

Myka
05-10-2015, 04:07 AM
Bummer

daplatapus
05-10-2015, 04:08 AM
And while testing, I just wiped my entire unit. Nice.

Du'oh!

Aquattro
05-10-2015, 04:44 AM
Du'oh!

Ya, it was a fun afternoon. Not.

Reef Pilot
05-10-2015, 01:54 PM
I have Shaw. Just changed the temp setting on the email alert and got an email immediately. So mine is still working, at least at this moment.

Aquattro
05-10-2015, 03:41 PM
The thread suggests you should get 2 if you're using fusion. One from base unit, one from fusion. No?

I do get emails, but the From is from Fusion, not my Shaw account.

While I can use Shaw fine on port 25, I cannot send a test from Apex

Aquattro
05-10-2015, 03:59 PM
I set up a smtp2go account, that works from base, so whatever worked for shaw before doesn't now.

Reef Pilot
05-10-2015, 04:59 PM
I just get one email. I have my delay set to 60 min, so I don't get flooded with emails if I do have a problem. I just use my regular Shaw email account for the FROM, but have the TO email go to my yahoo account. And I use 587.

However, I am not on Fusion as I never did that firmware upgrade. Should I? I have a lot of my own programming set up with all my outlets, and would hate to have something screw up and have to redo it all, or worse. Not sure what Fusion gives me that I don't have now, or need.

Aquattro
05-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Fusion is a nice upgrade. It gives you tracking and a better interface on mobile devices, available from a URL. Just have a backup in case anything goes sideways. I'm sure it has other things I can't think of, but overall, worth having.

Simons
05-11-2015, 02:41 PM
I have it now set up to send email and text alerts from Fusion, I never did before because I was assuming I would be getting them from the Apex base units themselves.

I have since set up the free SMTP email on both my units and configured email and txt messaging from Fusion. I like redundancy and this way I should be receiving notifications from both sources in the future is something happens.

Very frustrating that Shaw without notice, is pulling the plug on SMTP I would imagine there are many people that have email addresses and settings configured for SMTP on lots of different devices.

Reyphox
01-07-2017, 08:33 PM
Shaw is not pulling the plug on SMTP. Most of the Shaw representatives have zero clue about anything and read of a screen, that or they simply offer a solution that would work and say it's has to be that's way to save time on trouble shooting. The reason it stopped working is simply because the setup was not bullet proof. Because I don't know what the provider of the sending address the was I will provide the two most likely reason why it had stopped working and the solutions, one of which the Shaw representative did offer but gave a stupid explaination why.

Scenario #1:

Emails bounced of Shaw SMTP server with a Shaw domain sender address. This is a simple one. Shaw allows you to send unauthenticated emails of their SMTP server on port 25. Reasons for sent emails are either too many none authenticated emails are being sent, the Shaw address is spoofed or Shaw has updated spam filters ( usually makes them more aggressive ) resulting in the emails being tossed on the server end.

The solution is simple, just have the apex login to Shaw before sending which does require SSL. This is what the representative offered but they explained the reason poorly.

Scenario #2:

Emails bounced of Shaw SMTP server with a Gmail ( or other providers ) domain sender address. This issue is rather decieving because you think it's Shaw when it's not. In actuality it's gmail blocking the email. Here is why. Google and other providers such as Microsoft have updated SPF records indicating that any email sent with their domain must be sent thru their servers. So when you bounce an email that looks like it's sent of an Gmail address thru a Shaw server, google flags it as spam and either places it in junk or eventually tosses them before you even recieved it.

Again the solution is rather simple, have the machine login to gmail ( or whatever the provider is ) instead of Shaw and the problem is resolved.

One other solution for both:

Another solution as mentioned by another poster is to use a 3rd party email relay service such as SMTP2GO. This still breaks SPF rules but the emails should never be completely filtered because 3rd party relays are trusted and run thier own filters so worst case scenario your emails get placed in junk but but never completely filtered out. And usually the 3rd party relay gives you notifications in thier control panel if some of your emails are being suspected as junk so you can rectify the problem before it gets worse.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Lesteraction
03-08-2023, 05:27 PM
I am pretty perplexed because I am not uninitiated with networking or port forwarding, etc. The only thing I noticed is that my probe's temperature can drop below the alert setting when I change the water because it is out of the water. I also noted that neither an email nor a text message notified me of this. I performed testing on my other tank, and sure enough, I am seeing the same problem there. (https://pettihome.shop/collections/centrotavola-in-stile-shabby-chic)

Reyphox
03-08-2023, 08:07 PM
You shouldnt need to port forward anything. Yer emailing out.