PDA

View Full Version : Purebred, or knock off??

Aquattro
03-19-2015, 07:36 PM
Seems we have polarized views on equipment, particularly power heads.

Which do you use, why and why nots?

Seriak
03-19-2015, 07:50 PM
I have used pretty much all of them. I like the ecotech the best but I would get Jebao based on price point as there is a substantial price difference that can't be ignored.

Aquattro
03-19-2015, 07:52 PM
I have 2 RW15 pumps and 2 Tunze 6055. When the Tunze die (again), I'm replacing with RW8 units.

Bblinks
03-19-2015, 07:57 PM
I like tunze for the reliability, rw for price point, maxpect gyre for the flow pattern, mp40 for the sleek design now with the quiet model which makes it that much better. I think at the end they all do the same, it just boils down to what is best suited for particular individual and what they can afford.

Skimmin
03-19-2015, 07:58 PM
Agreed. I've had, seio, maxijet, vortechs, koralias etc. So far price, and quality Im super impressed with the jebao rw 20s. Dont see myself changing anytime soon. That being said I do have two un opened rw20's in the box as back ups just in case. Still all 4 of my rw's were the same cost as 1 vortech.

hillegom
03-19-2015, 07:59 PM
ecotech, just because I still have them

vanreefer
03-19-2015, 08:17 PM
Have alway been a tunze guy for quiet reliability... May add a mp40 or 2 now they're a bit quieter... The wife demands silence... I've heard the gyres are loud... Any opinions?

Wretch
03-19-2015, 09:02 PM
I have used maxijets, koralias and am currently running jebaos. Like all my equipment I try to look at function and price as I am on a limited budget.

Slick Fork
03-19-2015, 09:07 PM
I've had fantastic luck with my Tunze 6055's, one's pushing 8 years and the other is pushing 5. Both with no issues and very minimal maintenance.

If one goes into the backup bin I may look at the Vortech now that the price has come down.

Slick Fork
03-19-2015, 09:08 PM
Have alway been a tunze guy for quiet reliability... May add a mp40 or 2 now they're a bit quieter... The wife demands silence... I've heard the gyres are loud... Any opinions?

I really like the flow pattern of the Gyre's and I've heard the most recent production run fixed the noise issue. I'm going to wait until they refine the design and can prove reliability before I jump into one.

ReEf BoSs
03-19-2015, 09:19 PM
Tunze last forever and are quiet , ecotech maybe an option now that they are quiet, jabeo i tried was garbage, not impressed at all but it was cheap compared to a ecotech mp10.

daplatapus
03-19-2015, 09:52 PM
I like tunze for the reliability, rw for price point, maxpect gyre for the flow pattern, mp40 for the sleek design now with the quiet model which makes it that much better. I think at the end they all do the same, it just boils down to what is best suited for particular individual and what they can afford.

:lol: Such a diplomatic answer when Brad's just trying to stir the pot again, lol.

I've got Ecotech's and Jabeo's. I definitely want to try the Gyre when they get a few bugs get worked out.

Still have the older MP40 set up, they've always been noisy and hard to align. The wife hates it when they are pulsing or ramping. Makes her nauseous listening to it she says.
I love the randomness and programmability. I also like being able to just grab the head out of the tank to clean them. But have to agree, they're pretty noisy and I don't like not being able to direct the flow.

Jabeo - how can you complain about the price. Now they have a controller to sync pumps. Fairly big and ugly in tank, but good flow and you can direct it wherever you want.

Dollar for dollar - Jabeo wins for me

Aquattro
03-19-2015, 10:29 PM
when Brad's just trying to stir the pot again

That hurts Dom..

christyf5
03-19-2015, 10:33 PM
I like my Tunzes and really theres no point in switching them out to the latest fad. When they die I'll jump on the nearest bandwagon (or get more used Tunzes off someone that is jumping on the nearest bandwagon :wink: ) but right now there is no need to spend money to reinvent the wheel.

Madreefer
03-19-2015, 11:09 PM
I voted other, which is Maxxspect Gyre. What is the problems with them that you people are waiting for to fix? Other than the one that arrived faulty and replaced on warranty I have zero problems with mine. I run 2 of them at 100%and can not hear a thing. I have ran Ecotech, Tunze, Korallia and Maxijet. and these are my favourite by far. Two of them together is awesome

Slick Fork
03-19-2015, 11:35 PM
I voted other, which is Maxxspect Gyre. What is the problems with them that you people are waiting for to fix? Other than the one that arrived faulty and replaced on warranty I have zero problems with mine. I run 2 of them at 100%and can not hear a thing. I have ran Ecotech, Tunze, Korallia and Maxijet. and these are my favourite by far. Two of them together is awesome

I've been burned a few times buying gen 1 gear. I'm excited about the technology, but there are always quality control and little bumps to iron out in the first production period.

I'm also going to wait and see how the dependability works out. I've heard some stories about shattered blades because stuff gets into the intakes.

Wretch
03-20-2015, 12:07 AM
I try to live by the motto if its not broke dont fix it. As long as everything is working and there are no problems with the tank I try my best to resist the urge to buy the next big thing. We all like new toys but an expensive hobby gets even more expensive when buying things you dont actually need. Now when things break is the time to get that new toy you have been itching to get. For some reason I have been wanting to buy the rw-8s when my wp10s are working just fine.:confused:

Aquattro
03-20-2015, 12:50 AM
I try to live by the motto if its not broke dont fix it.

Absolutely. I ran Tunze for 8 years, loved them. When they died, I bought Jebao instead. Now I love them. And I love the left over money to buy other things with. I currently have a pair of 6055, but when they go (already replaced grills, impellers and power supplies), I'm not spending another 450 to replace them when I can get RW8s at a fraction of the cost.

Dumping perfectly good gear to buy the latest toys seems silly to me.

MarkoD
03-20-2015, 01:01 AM
I have the gyre

daplatapus
03-20-2015, 01:10 AM
I voted other, which is Maxxspect Gyre. What is the problems with them that you people are waiting for to fix?

Ya, I saw a few pics on RC when snails got in the drum and disintegrated the blades. Then they came out with a different mounting magnet which supposedly quietened them down?
Those are the only 2 negatives I've heard so far

Besides, my 210 hasn't got any water in it yet, once it does, I may not have the patience to wait :D

Coral Hoarder
03-20-2015, 01:38 AM
Teem maxispect!

reefwars
03-20-2015, 01:58 AM
Maybe it's just me and I have crap luck with jebao products lol

Had my dct12000 die Xmas eve after i waited for the tech to get better , heard things were fixed so jumped on it lol not much changed there lol and i just had a rw8 fail after a days use lol

I bought the rw8 to replace my mp40 , side by side there no comparison my vortech is a much better suited power head , the rw8 is strong but lacks control ability , on it's lowest setting still quite strong while the mp40 can be dialed down much more , both on max are both strong.

I don't want to spend a fortune on a power head that's why I bought the rw8 but if I had my time back I'd just throw for what was working ad get another mp40 , mines been running years and haven't had to repace a thing on it and since I only use it at %50 it's dead quiet (rw is too)

Try getting a pump warranty on Xmas eve lol

Skimmin
03-20-2015, 04:48 AM
I hear you Denny. Thats why I have two of those dct12000's. One is brand new. Just as a back up. I just dont trust the tech yet, and with good reason I believe. My Dct 12000 has been running since Nov 26 without a hiccup yet but only time will tell. I always used to run brand name stuff. This is the first time I've ever gone the other route looking for best bang for buck. It's more of an experiment for my own peice of mind. If I start to have issues with the Jebao stuff I'll go back to brand name but for now I'll stick with it til it does me wrong. I also ran two of the maxspect grye 150's in my tank. With it being 300 gal I just find the massive flow of my rw 20's to be more suitable for this tank. Gyre seemed to be a good product too. Not sure if they're worth the money. To me they fall more in along the Jebao brand quality. IMO quality wise the Tunzes and Vortechs really have no competitors. When you throw dollar value into the mix things really begin to even out. Another example would be the Vertex Alpha cone 250 I had on one of my older systems. Was it beautiful? Hell yes it was! One of the prettiest skimmers I've ever seen. Was it worth twice the cost of the Reef Octopus recirc skimmer I'm running on my current system? Maybe... if looks are worth it but performance wise I would say my Reef octopus out performs it. But it sure was pretty.

The Guy
03-20-2015, 06:12 AM
I have a few Jebao's no problems at all, just keep them clean.
Also have a couple of Tunzie's there ok.

Bayside Corals
03-20-2015, 06:53 AM
I've been a Tunze guy for as long as I can remember. They have never failed me. Recently I have been playing with the Gyre and they are amazing. I think Ecotech and Tunze have a new kid on the block to watch out for!

reefwars
03-20-2015, 01:21 PM
I have a few Jebao's no problems at all, just keep them clean.
Also have a couple of Tunzie's there ok.

I figured after a days use my rw was as clean as it possibly could be , I guess I could have cleaned it more lol

I like the gyre , there's two running at concept......I agree with Aaron that I would put the quality on par with jebao it's a shame they charge so much for the gyre If I were to buy one I figure it's functions would work great but I don't see me dropping it more than once lol

Aquattro
03-20-2015, 02:31 PM
I figured after a days use my rw was as clean as it possibly could be , I guess I could have cleaned it more lol

did you get it wet? You can't get them wet..

Dearth
03-20-2015, 02:38 PM
I started with Hydors from a friend(freebie's) and then kept using the newer models never had an issue with them when I get money ahead I will prob upgrade but I have no issues with the Hydors at all.

The Guy
03-20-2015, 02:46 PM
I started with Hydors from a friend(freebie's) and then kept using the newer models never had an issue with them when I get money ahead I will prob upgrade but I have no issues with the Hydors at all.
Hydors are ok as long as there not running backwards on start up, PITA sometimes after a power outage. It's only reason I don't use them.

ronau
03-20-2015, 02:53 PM
I've run Jebao's (WP-25 & RW-8) and replaced them with a Gyre, very happy with it so far. There was a problem with the controller being too sensitive but it was replaced as soon as I notified the distributor.

I don't think Gyres are expensive at all when you consider the number of powerheads it can replace.

Doug
03-20-2015, 05:49 PM
Ran Tunze,s way back when. Used the Hydors & still do, except when they run backwards. Have a pair of RW 8,s on my tank along with an MP 10 & Mp 40, which are still my fav.

e46er
10-25-2015, 10:48 PM
I've got 4 RW8s been running 6 months or so. One of them hummed a bit I took it out shook it and it stopped humming few days later it did the same thing so I shook it again (I was assuming the impeller was slightly out of spec) 6 months later no cleaning on any of them and all dead silent. Fr the price point I'm really happy, but they are also the most expensive power heads I've used as well.
I'll deal with a cord in the tank instead of a loud motor with a cord from the side of my tank and 5 times the price

somafish
10-26-2015, 04:24 AM
I have used Hydor, jebao,vortech,gyre and based on my criteria of importance Flow/Programmability/Volume/Price/Design/Durability . Hands down Jebao. It has huge flow,does lack programmability compared to vortech But it's pulse mode can make everything in my cube tank sway,runs silent,it is a little ugly but i can control it's flow direction,and I have never had a single problem with my 3 pumps in 2 years

somafish
10-26-2015, 04:25 AM
Ohhh and for what it can do jebao pumps price can't be beat

Reefer Rob
10-26-2015, 02:30 PM
When I bought the Tunze 6105s a few years ago they only lasted maybe 6 months, and the shafts came loose. J&L replaced them under warranty. Now I just had the shaft corrode off one of the Tunze.

I've been running a Jebao RW-15 in my frag tang and quite like it. Although it's a little noisier than the Tunze, it also puts out more flow. Switching to 2 RW-15s for the display, hopefully they are more reliable than the Tunze!

Reef Pilot
10-26-2015, 04:35 PM
I originally bought 4 Jebao WP40's and all but one have now died. Seems they only have a lifetime of just over one year (not good). Have replaced them with RW-15s (pumps only). They can use the same controller and power supply as the WP40s. Hope their lifetime is longer than the WP40s.

Otherwise I like the Jebao pumps, good flow and low noise. Good thing they are cheap...

The Codfather
10-26-2015, 06:37 PM
FYI
Jebao has a new product out......
I think, that if the big brands would cut a bit off their pricing, they'd be further ahead.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-26-2015, 10:26 PM
I originally bought 4 Jebao WP40's and all but one have now died. Seems they only have a lifetime of just over one year (not good). Have replaced them with RW-15s (pumps only). They can use the same controller and power supply as the WP40s. Hope their lifetime is longer than the WP40s.

Otherwise I like the Jebao pumps, good flow and low noise. Good thing they are cheap...

Knock on wood, but my Jebao pumps have been great for about 2 years so far.

Hydor Koralia pumps, on the other hand, died on me regularly.

I also bought some of the original Tunze Nanostreams (one of the few times I was an "early adopter"). What a mistake. The holder broke almost immediately and those early model Nanostreams never worked properly for me. Over $300 wasted. Really turned me off from spending more hundreds on brand name wavemakers.

The older Tunze Streams were real workhorses but huge for the flow achieved.

Same with the Seio powerheads I had before. Worked well, cheaper than Tunze and just as big.

So far (again, knock on wood), I've had my best luck with Jebaos and I'm still only using the WP series. I have an RW15 waiting to be picked up from my friend's place, so looking forward to that upgrade.

Anthony

Reef Pilot
10-26-2015, 10:55 PM
Knock on wood, but my Jebao pumps have been great for about 2 years so far.

So far (again, knock on wood), I've had my best luck with Jebaos and I'm still only using the WP series. I have an RW15 waiting to be picked up from my friend's place, so looking forward to that upgrade.

Anthony
What setting do you use with your WP40s? I have been using the random flow (else), and maybe that is harder on the pumps? Also what power supplies do you have? I have the 2.5 amp ones that came with the WP40s.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-26-2015, 11:49 PM
What setting do you use with your WP40s? I have been using the random flow (else), and maybe that is harder on the pumps? Also what power supplies do you have? I have the 2.5 amp ones that came with the WP40s.

I mostly use W1. Also, the power supplies are 1.5A.

Reef Pilot
10-27-2015, 12:44 AM
I mostly use W1. Also, the power supplies are 1.5A.
Didn't think a WP40 could run with the 1.5 amp PS?

Aquattro
10-27-2015, 02:45 AM
Just lost a RW15 from soaking it in vinegar. Life, she be full of compromises :)

Aquattro
10-27-2015, 02:51 AM
Just lost a RW15 from soaking it in vinegar. Life, she be full of compromises :)

Alternatively, I could just be dumb. Carry on, pump's all good :)

AquaAddict
10-27-2015, 03:48 AM
I have been using Maxijet pumps with SureFlow adapters for almost 10years -still working.

Now that they have been discontinued, this thread has been very educational.

AquaAddict

Ram3500
10-27-2015, 04:44 AM
I have had two wp40 they were great pumps for a yearish but they died at the 12-14 month mark .

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-27-2015, 04:47 AM
"Knocking on wood furiously" :wink::lol:

The Codfather
12-11-2015, 01:14 PM
http://s11.postimg.org/6a97wv4pv/jebao_gyre.jpg

Myka
12-11-2015, 02:56 PM
Is that you pic or internet pic? Look at all those knockoffs!

WarDog
12-11-2015, 03:04 PM
How is that even legal?

Myka
12-11-2015, 03:11 PM
How is that even legal?

China can do anything. :neutral:

WarDog
12-11-2015, 03:17 PM
China can do anything. :neutral:

I'm all for saving some coin, but I question quality. I'd rather buy one vortech than a Jebao that needs to be replaced every year or so (which seems to be common). I don't ever see myself buying a DC pump either, except maybe a Red Dragon or Vectra.

The Guy
12-11-2015, 03:46 PM
I'm all for saving some coin, but I question quality. I'd rather buy one vortech than a Jebao that needs to be replaced every year or so (which seems to be common). I don't ever see myself buying a DC pump either, except maybe a Red Dragon or Vectra.
I now use 2 Vortech mp10 powerheads mainly because I like the motor on the outside of the aquarium out of the water, works great for maintenance as well.

Jordon
12-11-2015, 06:13 PM
I use Ecotech MP10 on my nano, but could't stand it before the QD upgrade. It was to the point where I bought a Jebao RW-4 and was ready to replace it, but now use the RW-4 for mixing water!

Needless to say, both are great products, but I prefer the lower profile Ecotech MP10 for my nano. If I had a larger tank and wanted to save money, I would surely go with Jebao.

The Guy
12-11-2015, 06:25 PM
I use Ecotech MP10 on my nano, but could't stand it before the QD upgrade. It was to the point where I bought a Jebao RW-4 and was ready to replace it, but now use the RW-4 for mixing water!

Needless to say, both are great products, but I prefer the lower profile Ecotech MP10 for my nano. If I had a larger tank and wanted to save money, I would surely go with Jebao.

I would have liked to pickup a 2and QD, but got a great deal on the mp10-W series and it seems as quite as the QD, but then I only run it up to half capacity because that works well in my tank.

Jordon
12-11-2015, 06:54 PM
I would have liked to pickup a 2and QD, but got a great deal on the mp10-W series and it seems as quite as the QD, but then I only run it up to half capacity because that works well in my tank.

I have a feeling I have crap luck with the Vortech's. I have been through 3 (2 on my old build then sold, then my current one) and they were all fairly loud to my ears. Either that, or I have super-sensitive hearing?

I hear people lucking out with quiet ones out of the box, or they 'break-in' after a few weeks of use; just not my experience sadly. If anyone is unsure about the QD though, it is well worth the upgrade if you can't stand the noise of your Vortech.

The Codfather
12-11-2015, 09:45 PM
Is that you pic or internet pic? Look at all those knockoffs!

Internet. Apparently out in full swing overseas.

Reef-Geek
12-11-2015, 10:10 PM
I have a feeling I have crap luck with the Vortech's. I have been through 3 (2 on my old build then sold, then my current one) and they were all fairly loud to my ears. Either that, or I have super-sensitive hearing?

I hear people lucking out with quiet ones out of the box, or they 'break-in' after a few weeks of use; just not my experience sadly. If anyone is unsure about the QD though, it is well worth the upgrade if you can't stand the noise of your Vortech.

Vortech has a wearable part that need to be replaced regularly, especially if you buy used the the previous owner didn't use the spacer or align it properly.

http://ecotechmarine.com/faq/replacement-parts

There is a maintenance kit you can find for mp40.

Myka
12-12-2015, 12:55 AM
I don't ever see myself buying a DC pump either, except maybe a Red Dragon or Vectra.

My Red Dragon Speedy 3 is going on a year! It's still in the box, but who's counting.

Internet. Apparently out in full swing overseas.

Yeah, wow all sorts now I guess!

The Codfather
01-28-2016, 01:42 AM
In case some of you where waiting, jeboa now has a wifi module out, these guys...what will they dream up next...

brisco
03-07-2016, 05:51 PM
I have a gyre, and it has been good to me. I picked up the apex adapter module (icecap) when that came out a few months back and it really increased the versatility, now I have 8 flow patterns running at different times. The gen 2, is very quiet, but I only run at 60% tops otherwise the xf 150 model is way too much flow on my 100 gal display. I also picked up a small battery back up (ice cap again) that works with the gyre and during a power loss will run it at 30% for 36 hours (I think that's the stats)

Cleaning can be tricky, I have only done it once, but had to take it apart again several times until I got it right.

Brad, you need to add the Gyre to the poll instead of just having it under "other"!

bignose
03-09-2016, 04:02 PM
I run 2 ecotech mp40wes' going on 2 years, they are ex pensive in my opinion. Love them they do everything I need them to do, they are a little noisy but I've learned to ignore them. I had koralias before they worked but were nothing special, but cheap. I can't add anything about the other pumps because I've never ran them.
If I was to buy more powerheads I would probably save up and buy QDmp40's.

Reef-Geek
03-09-2016, 04:13 PM
I run 2 ecotech mp40wes' going on 2 years, they are ex pensive in my opinion. Love them they do everything I need them to do, they are a little noisy but I've learned to ignore them. I had koralias before they worked but were nothing special, but cheap. I can't add anything about the other pumps because I've never ran them.
If I was to buy more powerheads I would probably save up and buy QDmp40's.

Buy the qd controller if vortech is the noisest part in your system, i did it and it does reduced up to 90% noise.

SpongeAl
11-21-2016, 03:57 AM
I vote Tunze for main tank use. (Turbelle 6040 user here)

I use Koralia for utility uses like QT tanks etc. They are just OK, nothing special

I've had Ecotech, but once the novelty wears off you're left with a noisy, overpriced unreliable pump that you will be lucky to get 12-18 months of use before the shaft splits.

I can't vouch for the offshore pumps, it's a risk I'm not interested in taking. Considering the money I waste on things we don't really need, or don't want down the road in this hobby, it seems prudent to budget for a decent German pump.

My particular Tunze also has the option for battery backup without using proprietary equipment.
It is also silent at high output, whereas my Ecotech made way more noise at much lower flow rates.

mike31154
11-22-2016, 05:17 AM
I purchased my 1st EcoTech MP40 new in 2008. Picked up a few more (used) in subsequent years, upgraded magnet on the original, replaced a few normal wear items. I have some hungry snails that periodically climb on the intake cage in search of food & their shells contact the propellers, so I've had to replace them as a result. Yes, perhaps the novelty has worn off & yes the initial investment was a bitter pill, but these pumps have been doing a great job for 8 years, 7 years, 6 years.... Have yet to experience any 'shaft split'. One of the advantages of the VorTech is that virtually every part on the wet side is easily replaced, available & reasonably priced. If the dry sides on mine were all to fail tomorrow, they would owe me nothing based on the number of years of service they've provided.

A photo of the hardware to show it's been in the system for a while... (I've since cleaned them up in a vinegar solution)
https://qxsevq.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y3mHVwN1NmQaS4qk-rsp0TDWjdr19rLOE2wTOZ1BrAOvLwcpovgyBDtx41w6uGbD3dH xGZzODN5d5HcS6jUiWjGCstjhE-Ilg_E_v-JcnZUwDneggcsT6E9nl80muYjQq-sElm5kKn24dFM4PgffYmZflZCaC4_Xo1gj-1hrbP1OmI?width=775&height=702&cropmode=none

A few of the dynamic components subject to wear that are replaceable on the wet side. Sure beats having to toss the entire power head in the trash for want of replacement parts.
https://hllrgq.blu.livefilestore.com/y3m4wmvBAvGkcYrDnEmUtvz_q8ZdhIJXYhf5rO0C9wZAYVQrCq ksXv6Diu4F-PoaqYqehcFippoI8yxEDh5BzUoC0VEHmJyuHrDiENVhGQiAhYm jZ0RALefTPymLKk_8FPqkXg3QdYUe4-u04osbGimabJ-sffSN6tl89R7rxMCJY8?width=770&height=667&cropmode=none

I've also made upgrades to drivers over the years, but cost spread out so not a big deal. My first MP40 is a gen 1 which I was able to easily upgrade to the latest configuration once the redesigned parts were available. The gen 1 was fitted with a poorly designed wet side magnet but EcoTech quickly came up with the redesign without folks having to spend a fortune for an entirely new power head.

The gen 1 wet side magnet after 6 months in the tank. I think I purchased mine about a month before they did the redesign, bad timing for me, but hey... it got fixed for about $10 at the time.
https://s1qkpa.bl3302.livefilestore.com/y3mRVCj-MLcW-ZZpPGeA1kG3qFMpj-2IGcFKMaJDfZk-7PXopJB7h_KN7192tCWONlYHK8jHJw4DFd51PsNxBhD9n2nsVc YweGIq6u6s7qaWW5UPY0DV8ajvVgeVwjbOw5rhowe9tCff11Uo Vr3OoaiDlbXztXSw0cts1WNUQ_6bRY?width=601&height=600&cropmode=none

SpongeAl
11-22-2016, 08:56 PM
I tried to dig up a picture for you, but could not find it.

Basically the MP10's have a steel shaft covered by a white ceramic type material. It is this central steel core that rusts, then splits the outer later causing noise and accelerated wear.

I first heard this new noise at about the 10 month point, I tried cleaning it a few times to no avail, eventually I took a real close look and found the issue a few cleans later when the noise persisted.

Anyhow I only ever used it at around 30% max power, so it was strictly a corrosion issue.

IMO kinda lame design for such a little pump that tips the scales at around $400.

It is nice to see the larger ones don't appear to have a steel shaft, thanks for sharing that picture.

Anyhow I'm happy with the little Turbelle now, it has enough control-ability that I no longer need a MP10 just to have a DC wavemaker in a small reef.

(No reef crest mode, but you can set dual speeds, set the timing between these speeds, feed button and does waves if that floats your boat.)

Reef.ductionist
11-23-2016, 06:02 PM
I have a 14 gallon biocube mod and tried the ecotech but sold mine after about one year. While my experience with the vortech mp10eco was positive overall:
(ie.- I enjoyed creating more complex wave patterns fir my tank), I felt the hub protuding out of the side of my aquarium was very unsightly and detracted attention away from the tank itself.(I prefer a much more streamlined look).
Now Im anticipating the new hydor Aquami series wave pumps with wifi controller which are scheduled for release in Canada in early 2017.
I cannot jutsify spending 500.00 on a tunze wave system.

Reef.ductionist
11-23-2016, 06:29 PM
The hydor Aq mai info is on their facebook page.