PDA

View Full Version : cerious how many use apex or reefkeepers

westreefmang
03-09-2015, 09:25 PM
i have never used one but am seriously considering buying a Apex or reefkeeper im cerious how many reefers use the systems and why they use the one they choose ? Or why you have choosen not to use a system ?

Aquattro
03-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Apex full, not gold or lite. Poll is missing a couple :)

Dearth
03-09-2015, 09:31 PM
I don't have either controller but trying to save my money up for the Apex full setup

westreefmang
03-09-2015, 09:47 PM
Oh ok apex assuming is most popular ? But is it worth buying the jr apex or is there a more full unit thats a bit cheaper then the 800 or w.e for full apex?

WarDog
03-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Apex full, not gold or lite. Poll is missing a couple :)

Same here. Can't vote. :(

westreefmang
03-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Witch one you use?

Aquattro
03-09-2015, 10:18 PM
There is Gold, Full, Lite and Jr. versions. Most use the Full, I would expect.

patman
03-09-2015, 10:18 PM
I have the apex gold and I do like it but it's not cheap. Then you have all the add-ons like the leak detector, feeder, dos, wxm and breakout box, extra energy bars, .... and you could easily spend a small fortune.

westreefmang
03-09-2015, 10:20 PM
Ok thanks ill have to take look at all :) see price differnces

kamloops_reefer
03-09-2015, 11:09 PM
reef keeper but looking to upgrade to the apex

Craigdillman
03-09-2015, 11:09 PM
reef keeper hate it tho only does lights and heaters for me wish i would a bought a apex also they don't have mac platform all my computers and laptops mac

daplatapus
03-09-2015, 11:35 PM
Apex full here. LOVE IT! Email alerts, switching and monitoring capabilities are almost endless, so it grows with you. Love Apex Fusion, so much easier to get all wireless.

RMC
03-10-2015, 12:14 AM
Same here. Can't vote. :(

Same here for the apex full. Can't vote:redface:

lockrookie
03-10-2015, 12:59 AM
I have the apex lite and love it

gregzz4
03-10-2015, 01:09 AM
Couldn't vote as there is a Reefkeeper Lite with variants, and the Elite with variants

Guess I'm in the minority so far. I use a Reefkeeper Elite.
From what I can tell from posts mine is much easier to program and has all the bell and whistle add-ons like Apex with a brand twist;
Apex supports the Ecotech MP/QD series while DA supports Tunze

DA also has additional modules like Apex;
Moonlights, dc pump controllers, dc light controllers, net modules etc etc ...

I went DA for the price and PC programmability
My unit supports up to 63 modules, and the new Archon supports up to 255 modules :surprise::surprise:

rishu_pepper
03-10-2015, 01:30 AM
Another one here for full Apex, gonna run it on my new tank.

I think in a smaller tank with less stuff to mess with, you can get away with it. But for peace of mind and insurance for thousands of dollars of livestock and even your home, a good controller is a worthwhile investment Imo.

intarsiabox
03-10-2015, 01:33 AM
I used to run a ReefKeeper Elite. It was 1/2 price during a boxing day sale through Digital Aquatics directly . It did everything I needed it to with zero issues for much cheaper than an Apex. I sold it awhile back though as I now just have a FOWLR tank that uses a power and timer just fine. I'll admit though that after paying the long dollar for Ecotech lights with their own built in controls, wave makers with their own built in controls and ATO with it's own controls, having a very expensive controller was less appealing.

reef-keeper
03-10-2015, 01:39 AM
I use an apex jr.

garwood
03-10-2015, 02:00 AM
Im new to the reef scene and i dont understand why the need. My lights are fully programmable, my wavemakers are synced with controllers, my return pump /skimmer stay on 24/7. truthfully the only thing i can see to need a controller for is the heaters and that would be for safety incase heaters break down. I have had tanks all my life and never needed a email to tell me how my tank is doin...pls what am i missing?

intarsiabox
03-10-2015, 02:34 AM
Im new to the reef scene and i dont understand why the need. My lights are fully programmable, my wavemakers are synced with controllers, my return pump /skimmer stay on 24/7. truthfully the only thing i can see to need a controller for is the heaters and that would be for safety incase heaters break down. I have had tanks all my life and never needed a email to tell me how my tank is doin...pls what am i missing?

My heaters have a controller on them too. I have one set at 78 and then a back up set at 76 that has never come on. According to my thermometer my tank never varies by more than about 1/2 a degree. A controller comes in handy if you are controlling PH or doing something that effects it. An email saying that there is water on the floor or the power has gone out is nice to have as well. Turning off all the pumps for feeding with one button is handy but I have all my pumps on a single power bar so I can do this already without a controller. Being able to see all your tank parameters at once and log any rise and fall cycles can be done with a controller although this also leads to a lot of people constantly messing around with their tanks every time they see a change which can be bad as well. Some people have set up automatic water changes with their controllers as well. So I wouldn't say a controller is a requirement as all the equipment you buy is designed to run just fine by itself but some people just need it for peace of mind and if a hobby isn't relaxing what's the point?

Myka
03-10-2015, 03:14 AM
I don't run a controller on my tanks, but many of my clients have them. From my experiences and talking with my clients, it seems the Reef Angel and Reefkeeper are the most user friendly to set up, the Apex is more challenging, and the Profilux is a damn nightmare. My personal pick would be Apex.

The Codfather
03-10-2015, 07:12 PM
I have a profilux, I've never run an apex or rk, but I'm sure they're all relatively close to functionality. I do however like a controller that will allow me to mod my equipment for control.

From my experiences and talking with my clients, it seems the Reef Angel and Reefkeeper are the most user friendly to set up, the Apex is more challenging, and the Profilux is a damn nightmare.

Running the profilux with the new control center is very straight forward.

whatcaneyedo
03-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Full Apex here.
1. Turns the lights on and off according to a schedule and also if the tank gets too warm.
2. Shuts the return pump off if there is a flood or if the water level within the display tank raises too high.
3. Turns cooling fan and heater on and off as required to keep the temperature relatively steady (I need another cooling fan).
4. With a couple float switches and a maxi-jet pump it is my ATO.
5. Turns a solenoid on and off twice a week to replenish the evaporation top off RO/DI water reservoir.
6. Controls the flow pattern of two Tunzes.
7. Turns a CO2 solenoid on and off to maintain a steady pH in the Calcium Reactor.
8. Turns the mixing pump on and off for the Kalkwasser Reactor several times a day.
9. Sounds an alarm or sends me a text/email if one of the pH readings isn't right, or if the tank is too warm, or if its flooding etc.
10. Allows me to shut anything off or turn anything on from an internet connection.
11. Enables me to shut the pumps or skimmer down for a few minutes during feeding or maintenance at the touch of a button, then starts those back up again automatically.

All this within one handy handy controller for a modest cost... as opposed to having 10 or more individual devices that are not cross integrated. On the downside I do have 'all of my eggs in one basket', but after 5(?) years of operation I have have only had one problem and it was my own fault for getting the module wet.

indreamx
03-10-2015, 10:22 PM
I was wondering if the full apex goes on sale usually on boxing day or not. I think i would like to try to design something similar with rasberry pi..or has anyone done this? Fishbit from kickstarter also looks good for water parameter testing.

Aquattro
03-10-2015, 11:21 PM
I was wondering if the full apex goes on sale usually on boxing day or not.

Generally not.

lockrookie
03-10-2015, 11:58 PM
J&l do put them on sale maybe once a year but mostly just the add ons

FrankS
03-11-2015, 08:25 PM
Profilux user here. I haven't used the Apex or Reefkeeper. I like the system and it is actually quite simple but if you have no experience with it can be confusing to start. I think if GHL was interested in the N.A market though they need to write very clear, simple manuals and update them using primary English speakers as writers, put lots of high quality videos on how to's on youtube and make the computer in China and like Apple say "designed in Germany" and cut the price in 1/2. How much simpler could it be than drop down menus for programming?

Ginu
03-31-2015, 10:17 PM
Used to use reefekeeper but upgraded to Apex Full plus a bunch of modules and glad I did.
There is nothing wrong with the reefeeper besides the limiting factor of the amount of modules which can be incorporated plus being able to control my system via cell is a huge bonus.

With the Apex i have DOS, WXM, ALD, LSM

Ginu
03-31-2015, 10:20 PM
I was wondering if the full apex goes on sale usually on boxing day or not. I think i would like to try to design something similar with rasberry pi..or has anyone done this? Fishbit from kickstarter also looks good for water parameter testing.

There was a sale two years ago, but nothing this past year.

indreamx
03-31-2015, 11:14 PM
Im looking forward to fishbit. The only thing i wished apex could do is to give me readings on calcium. Magnesium and alk level. So i dont have to do those manually.

gobytron
03-31-2015, 11:19 PM
ignorant here...
what does the full or gold offer over my jr?

Ginu
03-31-2015, 11:38 PM
ignorant here...
what does the full or gold offer over my jr?

JR

Fusion Ready
Includes Apex Jr Controller, Apex Display Module, Long-life Temperature Probe
Basic functions: Light Control and Temperature Control at a great price point
Cool Features: Internet Connectivity, phone and text alerts, over temperature protection, mobile phone and tablet access

Full

Includes Apex Base Unit Controller, Apex Display Module, Long-life Temperature Probe, Energy Bar 8 and Standard pH Probe
Fusion Ready
Basic functions: Light Control, Temperature Control and pH Monitoring, pH Port, pH/ORP Port, I/O Switch Input, 4 V Ports
Cool Features: Internet Connectivity, phone and text alerts, over temperature protection, mobile phone and tablet access

Gold

Includes Apex Base Unit Controller, Apex Display Module, Long-life Temperature Probe, Energy Bar 8, Lab Grade pH, ORP and Conductivity Probes as well as the PM2 Salinity Module
Fusion Ready
Basic functions: Light Control, Temperature Control and pH Monitoring, pH Port, pH/ORP Port, I/O Switch Input, 4 V Ports

gobytron
03-31-2015, 11:55 PM
Thanks Ginu.

it kind of looks like not much as far as functionality goes based on that.

Ginu
03-31-2015, 11:58 PM
Im looking forward to fishbit. The only thing i wished apex could do is to give me readings on calcium. Magnesium and alk level. So i dont have to do those manually.

Oooo... that would be the day :) Reefing made easy..... a controller that measures the basica parameters... add Potassium to that list :)

With a controller and pumps you don't really have to dose daily:)
I typically check my parameters once a week or once every two weeks and change the frequency of my dosing pumps to handle the demand for different ingredients.

I do tend to measure my Alk quite frequently as Hanna made it super easy and it is a parameter which can easily affect the corals.

Ca should not fluctuate too much and i dose the same amount as the Alk as I use the BRS two part.

Mg is super easy to maintain as it typically doesn't fluctuate much. If you adjust the water change to the same as the display, then this should be a once a week dose, unless it needs to be raised more than 100, then it needs to be split.

Aquattro
04-01-2015, 12:03 AM
Thanks Ginu.

Without the variable ports, you can't run pumps and LEDs on profiles without buying an add on module. Power bar is only 4 outlets vs 8. Depends on what you need, now and in the future. The Jr is a good start, and you can add on if you need to.

Ginu
04-01-2015, 12:10 AM
Thanks Ginu.

It depends on what you're looking to run on it... for a Nano I think the JR is perfect, but if you start to add dossers to the mix, a PH probe and extra outlets is always nice... I only have a EB8 on my 120G system and another EB8 would be nice as I'm sure i can find a few things to run off the extra powerbar.
A EB4 which the JR powerbar is in my opinion not enough :)
On my EB8 I run the following:
1. return pump
2. light 1
3. light 2
4. BRS 1.1ml dosser with Alk
5. Skimmer and Tunze ATO
6. Avast Vibe for zeovit shaking
7. Heater (might actually switch this to a couple of fans as the summer is around the corner
8. BRS 1.1ml dosser with Calcium

So it all depends on what your needs are...

Doug
04-01-2015, 02:16 PM
I bought the gold. Happy with the purchase, although I don't think the lab grade probes are a must.