PDA

View Full Version : Post Addition Treatment

Aquattro
02-17-2015, 01:54 PM
You just added a fish. You find tomorrow that it has ich. Are you inclined to leave it alone and hope it goes away, or are you breaking out the treatment system (QT, Tank Transfer, etc) and leaving the display fallow for 3 months?

Aquattro
02-17-2015, 02:29 PM
Personally, while I'm now inclined to QT my fish, should I wake up and find ich in my tank, I'm going back to bed and will look again tomorrow. Repeat as necessary :)

Reef Pilot
02-17-2015, 02:37 PM
Well, if it is in your DT tank, unless you are able to easily remove your fish and have a big enough QT, you don't have much choice but to leave them and hope the ich subsides. Not sure if this is proven, but have read that after 11 months and no new strain introductions, the ich will out cycle itself and die.

Aquattro
02-17-2015, 02:49 PM
That's the thing. Easily catching all the fish in a reef is never going to happen. With my rock work, even draining won't let me grab everyone. If I did, then I have to set up a large enough tank in the kitchen for 3 months and maintain it. And buy wife lots of presents.
I currently have a QT setup in the kitchen and with my daughter's bday party coming this weekend, I'm the least popular member of the household.

Once it comes down, it's not going back up.

I'm predicting that this poll shows this is by far the most popular vote..

riceboy
02-17-2015, 02:59 PM
I usually just do a freshwater dip before I throw the fish into display. and if there are signs of ick I will crush some garlic and mix it in with the food and feed. Usually goes away in 2 days.

Aquattro
02-17-2015, 03:02 PM
55 views, 8 votes? C'mon, we can do better than that!! :)

corpusse
02-17-2015, 03:20 PM
I'd drain 110 gallons (my tank is a 180) into my 2 barrels, and buy the cheapest closest used tank I could find on kijij for the rest of the water, then grab all my fish and put them in there + my 55g QT Treat them with copper for 30 days and then wait out the remaining 42 days before putting them back.

If this ever did happen I'd also qt all corals for 72 days which is the only thing I'm currently not doing to 100% ensure ich never makes it in.

Proteus
02-17-2015, 03:22 PM
I voted ignore it. But.... I only house basslets and they seem to be alot more Hardy than fish such as tangs. Also a bb tank. So not sure it it helps disrupt the ich cycle

daplatapus
02-17-2015, 03:22 PM
yup, if after what I go through to QT fish it still makes it in, sucks to be me. But there are far worse things to be in there than ich.

Craigdillman
02-17-2015, 04:18 PM
Did it once before now that's why I go through good QT methods, first time took me 3 plus hours of "reaqqusacping" to catch the fish after I looked into the tank day after day in denial wondering how I got ich when I never QTed anything and I think I would cry if it somehow got threw my QT set up, BUT if it did it's worth the time cause last time I lost 70% of my fish so a few hours and headache is worth saving idk 700$ worth of fish

That's my 2 cents

Bblinks
02-17-2015, 04:35 PM
No QT for me. The amount of effort goes into setting up a QT and draining your tank to catch the fish seems hardly worth it. Garlic with selcom and feed the crap out of the fish is my approach.

jordsyke
02-17-2015, 04:40 PM
I have ich in my tank, when a new fish is introduced and is stressed it will show signs, once it is comfortable and has gotten used to the many different foods I feed, I find very very few signs of ich. But.... there is still some signs... the fish dont seem bothered though

christyf5
02-17-2015, 06:39 PM
I've had ich in my tank since I set it up in 2010. I monitor it, albeit passively (oh hey, fishy #3 has some spots on him, hmm...interesting). I use ick to monitor stress levels in my fish, which is mostly feed related (they're pigs). New additions get quarantined but its not ick I'm concerned about. My lavender tang is a carrier, he has it all the time while it comes and goes on other fish and is never seen on others.

Ryancw
02-17-2015, 08:14 PM
fresh water dip before new addition and selcon+garlic soak in every couple feedings for me keeps fish happy..

I picked up a 18x18x18 cube to set up as QT about 4 months ago when i first saw signs and all ive done since is plan out a sump design and ordered a glass-hole overflow kit to set it up as a second DT:mrgreen:

lastlight
02-17-2015, 08:43 PM
when you say garlic what exactly do you mean? are we squeezing garlic cloves over food and letting it sit in that for a bit? i have selcon already but simply mix it with my frozen food. i don't let it sit.

Ryancw
02-17-2015, 09:40 PM
when you say garlic what exactly do you mean? are we squeezing garlic cloves over food and letting it sit in that for a bit? i have selcon already but simply mix it with my frozen food. i don't let it sit.

when i feed selcon or garlic its only been with pellets. Few drops of both in a little dish, wait for that to dry out so i know its fully absorbed.

I tried actual crushed garlic once mixed with a bit of tank water and let that soak and then dripped that over the pellets but garlic guard is easier.

Tn23
02-17-2015, 10:06 PM
No QT for me as well. But I find garlic extract does wonders and after long term use. I've noticed my fish are able to beat ich.

Wheelman76
02-17-2015, 10:46 PM
No QT for me. The amount of effort goes into setting up a QT and draining your tank to catch the fish seems hardly worth it. Garlic with selcom and feed the crap out of the fish is my approach.

I thought you enjoyed setting up quarantine tanks and then taking them down and setting them back up a week later? Lol

Bblinks
02-17-2015, 10:56 PM
I thought you enjoyed setting up quarantine tanks and then taking them down and setting them back up a week later? Lol

and that's why I don't have my own QT....

H2o2
02-18-2015, 12:19 AM
Don't truly ignore but try and keep good environment and healthy as possible and well fed , my powder blues life story once and a while

Aquattro
02-18-2015, 05:52 AM
Would have guessed more than 25 reefers kept fish here. :(

Wheelman76
02-18-2015, 06:26 AM

Maybe it's because many people use the tapatalk app and it doesn't let you see the option to vote in the poll. That's why I haven't voted.

Aquattro
02-18-2015, 06:37 AM
Well that's dumb! Although, post a poll about salt and we get a hundred votes :)

Samw
02-18-2015, 06:49 AM
Well that's dumb! Although, post a poll about salt and we get a hundred votes :)

Well, my vote for "Add a high wattage UV sterilizer" is not there so I couldn't vote.

corpusse
02-18-2015, 12:54 PM
What if it was velvet would you wait for them to die or remove them while still alive?

Aquattro
02-18-2015, 01:03 PM
What if it was velvet would you wait for them to die or remove them while still alive?

Ideally you remove and try to treat, although the chances of being able to set up a QT for most people in time to treat and NOT kill them from NH3 poisoning is slim. Most people don't have a mature filter sponge or the ability to change 100% of the water daily.
I've done this and lost all the fish in QT. Sometimes you can't win for losing!

However, I did mention at the top that you quarantined before adding, so velvet is much less likely to get into the tank. If you didn't QT beforehand, chances are you don't have the equipment on hand during an outbreak. Really, at that point you already lost.

But, we're talking about ich here, as that is the most common scenario.

Reef Pilot
02-18-2015, 02:01 PM
You didn't list my option, so can't vote...:sad:

Aquattro
02-18-2015, 02:15 PM
You didn't list my option, so can't vote...:sad:

Well, really, the options are ignore it or do something substantial to deal with it.

Reef Pilot
02-18-2015, 02:34 PM
Well, really, the options are ignore it or do something substantial to deal with it.
Your options are too extreme at both ends. There is room for more in between. I might have picked:
Set up a QT and be prepared to try remove fish if the ich gets worse.

The ignore and hope it goes away and spare no effort options don't quite fit for me...:neutral:

Aquattro
02-18-2015, 03:03 PM
Your options are too extreme at both ends. There is room for more in between. I might have picked:
Set up a QT and be prepared to try remove fish if the ich gets worse.

The ignore and hope it goes away and spare no effort options don't quite fit for me...:neutral:

I didn't want to type out all the options one could use. Basically, do nothing, do something. Easier that way :)