PDA

View Full Version : water change methods

mark
02-08-2015, 05:31 PM
Every time I do a water change I siphon directly from the display and occasionally from the sump to remove any crud that might have settled out. Very rarely will I just change water. Wondering of those that are diligent with their water changes, is it just a quick water change are you always vacuuming in the corners?

IanWR
02-08-2015, 06:05 PM
I voted siphon crud every time. If there was an option to vote most of the time I would have picked that. I get lazy now and again. :)

mikellini
02-08-2015, 06:34 PM
Depends on how I feel. Sometimes I use a turkey baster in the sump and then pump out with a maxi-jet; sometimes I just siphon out of the tank. Next one will be a sump change, getting a layer of detritus forming...

Proteus
02-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Tanks bare bottom so it's all to easy to siphon out the detritus. As for sump, I run socks so don't see much build up in there

Gp Scott
02-08-2015, 07:00 PM
For my water changes I take off one of the power heads and move it around the tank to get everything blowed off I might do it a couple times just to get more water filtered thru the sump then change my water in the sump also cleaning filter socks and skimmer.

Aquattro
02-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Water change is just changing water for me. Vacuuming, when I'm inclined, is a separate task that is done without changing water. I simply siphon into my filter sock so can siphon for hours if I'm bored. I'm never that bored tho :)

Seriak
02-08-2015, 11:47 PM
Water change is just changing water for me. Vacuuming, when I'm inclined, is a separate task that is done without changing water. I simply siphon into my filter sock so can siphon for hours if I'm bored. I'm never that bored tho :)

I like this idea. Thank you!

Howie
02-09-2015, 12:37 AM

Brilliant idea!! I think I will give this a try.

Craigdillman
02-09-2015, 05:39 AM
I do clean the sump but it's on a differnt day usally day before WC day :)

Dive_dry
02-09-2015, 05:55 AM
I drain my sump it is bare bottom an has a power head pointed at the bottom and leave my refugium alone

Dearth
02-11-2015, 06:05 PM
I run with a half crushed coral and half sandbed setup with both being about 3/4 of an inch deep I don't bother vacuuming that's why I got snails, shrimp, cucumbers and such they do the work for me. I just do a water change

Ulmo
02-11-2015, 07:27 PM
First I drain 10 gallons out of my quarantine tank, and dump it down the toilet. I run my display tank bare bottom. I stir up the detritus with my hand then I suck out 10 gallons from the display tank. I let the detritus settle in the buckets , then I pour off the water into my quarantine tank. I do this once a week.