View Full Version : do you quarantine your new additions?

CM125
02-06-2015, 07:57 PM
Just want to know how many people quarantine their fish, please also comment with your survival rate and where you purchase from.

SteveCGY
02-06-2015, 08:01 PM
Quarantine? No
Survival rate? 100%
Bought from? Everywhere

Float 10-15mins is all

hillegom
02-06-2015, 08:02 PM
The poll isn't up

I do tank transfer, have not lost a fish due to this method yet and have been doing that for a few years.

http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/3daytransfer.html

CM125
02-06-2015, 08:04 PM
Poll is up! you guys are too fast lol

Dearth
02-06-2015, 08:23 PM
Quarantine? No
Survival rate? 100%
Bought from? Everywhere

Float 10-15mins is all

+1

CM125
02-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Good to see others that just put them in, I don't feel as bad lol. I would say its more like 90% survival for me though, although I don't think it was anything we did.

Aqua-Digital
02-06-2015, 09:15 PM
Quarantine? No
Survival rate? 100%
Bought from? Everywhere

Float 10-15mins is all

I did this for years, then one day I did what i always did, in 3 days complete tank wipe out and 6 week fallow.

Never ever again.

I guess you dice with the dark side one day you will get burnt. I did, and I know when I mentioned this on RC the thread was full of same stories. I just dont take risks like that now

Aquattro
02-06-2015, 09:45 PM
I did this for years, then one day I did what i always did, in 3 days complete tank wipe out and 6 week fallow.

Never ever again.

I guess you dice with the dark side one day you will get burnt. I did, and I know when I mentioned this on RC the thread was full of same stories. I just dont take risks like that now

Same. I was very much against QT until I lost all my fish. Twice. Everything now goes in a separate QT.

Sharkbait-huhaha
02-06-2015, 10:03 PM
Quarantine? No
Survival rate? 100%
Bought from? Everywhere

Float 10-15mins is all

+1

but trying to use Coral Rx now

Ryanerickson
02-06-2015, 10:26 PM
You dip your fish in coral rx?
I have never quarenteened anything thought about it with my achilles but too much work removing fish outta three tanks. there all tied together plus would need 3 tanks to quarenteen then all in. I know I'm playing with fire but never had a issue other then short term ich breakouts that have always for the most part gone away with no deaths.

Pike
02-06-2015, 10:44 PM

Never ever again.

What exactly happened, what caused the wipe out ?

Rice Reef
02-06-2015, 11:38 PM
I've been hearing about more fish dieing from QT than not Qt...
:confused:

Bblinks
02-07-2015, 12:07 AM
I have never quarenteened anything thought about it with my achilles but too much work removing fish outta three tanks. there all tied together plus would need 3 tanks to quarenteen then all in. I know I'm playing with fire but never had a issue other then short term ich breakouts that have always for the most part gone away with no deaths.

LMAO

I don't quarantine either. drop in and play.

trilinearmipmap
02-07-2015, 12:32 AM
I ought to quarantine but am too tired / lazy. Probably gambling and should know better.

corpusse
02-07-2015, 12:41 AM
Can someone explain to me how a fish can die from qt? Cleaner or equal water to your display, less current, more hiding spots, lower light and less competition for food. Plus the fact they can live their whole lives without a worry of so much as a single white spot.

I've lost my fair share of fish in qt but very few in my display tank. I am however still guilty of not quarantining everything. While I do dip all corals I occasionally put them directly in display and often within a week or 2. I guess the biggest problem outside of being impatient is I'd only be able to shop for stuff once every 72 days or get like 5 qt tanks. Currently I use a 55 gallon for fish and a 20 gallon if I buy anything while I'm already have fish in qt. I use my frag tank to qt snails crabs and other things but coral do not often make it the entire time. Perhaps eventually I will get a second frag tank as I worry about my Achilles every time I add a coral but never when I add a fish.

Sharkbait-huhaha
02-07-2015, 01:17 AM

Lol I should've been more specific. I dip my corals in Rx. Fish I just toss in after 10-15 minutes bag in tank

Slyguy00
02-07-2015, 02:13 AM
Quarantine? No
Survival rate? 100%
Bought from? Everywhere

Float 10-15mins is all

+2

Myka
02-07-2015, 02:16 AM
I've been hearing about more fish dieing from QT than not Qt...
:confused:

That's because people don't know how to do it. They shove a fish in a tiny tank that isn't cycled or use medication that kills biological bacteria, don't use Prime/AmQuel/etc, and say quarantine killed the fish. No, the quarantine didn't kill the fish, the hobbyist killed the fish. Many people can't even recognize when they have done something wrong - no idea what ammonia poisoning looks like, or which medications to use/when.

RMC
02-07-2015, 02:17 AM
I'm relatively new at this hobby and didn't quarintine at first. The 3rd fish I got, Flame Angel, came with some ich (no charge for the Ich). It died and took another one with it to the big tank in the sky. I ended up setting up a QT and left my display fallow for 6 weeks. Lesson learn the hard way. Now I quarintine EVERYTHING!

Aquattro
02-07-2015, 02:21 AM
That's because people don't know how to do it. They shove a fish in a tiny tank that isn't cycled or use medication that kills biological bacteria, don't use Prime/AmQuel/etc, and say quarantine killed the fish. No, the quarantine didn't kill the fish, the hobbyist killed the fish. Many people can't even recognize when they have done something wrong - no idea what ammonia poisoning looks like, or which medications to use/when.

Exactly. I've lost some fish in QT, but I know exactly why, and it wasn't QT fault, but mine. I now keep a fresh foam block cycled in my main sump, QT anything new, don't medicate until I know everything else is settled, fish is eating, etc. Then I still may not medicate if there are no signs of anything for a month.

warriorcookie
02-07-2015, 02:30 AM

This!

I've only had one fish in my QT die and it was when I did something really stupid. I never should have bought that fish in the first place, and the QT was setup completely wrong for that fish.

The most obvious issue is a fish coming home with a disease, which happens but I think is rare.
What I've seen more often is a fish that gets put into the display, won't compete for food, gets weak, gets picked on, gets sick and dies.

When I put my fish in QT it gives them time to recover and venture out and then slowly eat at its own pace. Once the fish is attacking the food without being scared of me then I know it's ready for the display. In the meantime I can watch for signs of disease and treat if necessary. I'm not a fan of random dips and medications unless there's an actual issue.

Aqua-Digital
02-07-2015, 12:32 PM
What exactly happened, what caused the wipe out ?

Velvet on a regal tang!!

whole store system was fine, never had an issue from them, just an issue that can happen to any store anywhere anytime.

The tang went down with it within 36 hours and the rest followed before we could get hem out into QT, lost whole tank stock.

You dont QT you play with natures biggest fire in this hobby

Aqua-Digital
02-07-2015, 12:33 PM

Best words spoken on this whole thread.

Skimmer Juice
02-07-2015, 04:25 PM
If you have fish you care about QT new additions. You may get lucky by not qt your fish . I have a 10 year old puffer I would never in a million years add a fish to the tank with out full qt . I try to avoid treating fish in the qt with medication unless absolutely necessary . Prefer to try to let them get over sickness on there own . I'm guessing the people who never qt have yet to have a fish for over 5 - 10 years ? If you have a fish for that amount of time would you risk killing the fish over adding a new fish form a store? Not worth skipping the qt process. Basically I had a longhorn cowfish for 5 years grew it from a baby , I decided to add a $500 golden puffer to the tank who looked fine in the store was eating no visible signs of anything . 5 days in he wiped out every fish in my tank including the cow and the golden puffer. That was the last time I have added anything to my tank without qt .

SiliconGuy
02-07-2015, 04:49 PM
I put everything in quarantine for 3 good weeks.

If you think about it, quarantine benefits of both the new arrival and the established inhabitants in the DT.
If the new arrivals dies in QT (touch wood, never happened to me), it probably would not have stood a chance in the DT.

While not judgmental, I'm surprised to see the apparent majority that do not use a QT.

Aquattro
02-07-2015, 04:57 PM
I'm surprised to see the apparent majority that do not use a QT.

Not surprised at all. QT requires extra time and money, and requires patience. All things that go against the grain for the vast majority of people in the hobby.

My QT is a 50g in my kitchen that I have to apologize to my wife about all the time. Takes work, extra salt, etc. Not something most people would do, and I wouldn't either if I hadn't lost over 3k in fish in the last 2 years. Now it's only smart for me to do it. I don't like it, but it's necessary.

SiliconGuy
02-07-2015, 05:39 PM
Not surprised at all. QT requires extra time and money, and requires patience. All things that go against the grain for the vast majority of people in the hobby.

OK, point taken. Well I guess then that we have two groups:
the ones that have been burnt and the ones that will :(

Much like backing up your computer before loosing data...

Aquattro
02-07-2015, 05:46 PM

Ya. I bet if you're bored, you can find old posts by me very against QT. Didn't believe in it at all, and not even from a lazy or money standpoint. But having watched all my fish die, I'm never doing that again as long as I can help it.

But, there are lots of different people in the hobby. Some can't afford it. Some have more money than they know what to do with and don't mind replacing fish. Some think they're "just fish". Some don't care. Some can't afford it, some don't have room to do it, some can't or won't make the time.

Some of us can't afford not to do it :)

Reef Pilot
02-07-2015, 05:52 PM

Good one,... Now, hmmm, when did I last back up my computer?... Gonna have to dust off that old external drive, maybe this weekend. Thanks for the reminder.

Ya. I bet if you're bored, you can find old posts by me very against QT. Didn't believe in it at all, and not even from a lazy or money standpoint. But having watched all my fish die, I'm never doing that again as long as I can help it.

Happy to see you are still a convert...http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon12.gif

Aquattro
02-07-2015, 05:55 PM
Happy to see you are still a convert...

I have to be, I'm not one of those guys that can afford to replace tankfuls of fish on a regular basis :) And I actually get attached to the fish I have, and hate seeing them die. I'm really a softie inside -lol

Skimmer Juice
02-07-2015, 06:26 PM
me to I get attached to my fish , I feel like when I get a fish its up to me to keep it living happily for its life

Samw
02-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Similar story with me. For many years I had no major issues. But often, after introduction of a new fish, the entire tank gets ick for weeks but they seem to build an immunity and fight it off and I won't see it again. I used to be one of those guys who thought I could never lose a fish from disease because for many years, I've seen sick fish in my tank (from new additions) and they always recovered from it.

However, many years later, something worse would get introduced and I would lose a few delicate fish while the rest eventually built immunity and the tank would be fine again. This happened a few more times. But each time, it was only a few fish that could not fight it off and everything else was fine again. So I still didn't feel a need to quarantine.

But then my luck ran out and one time after the introduction of a new fish, it wiped out the whole tank. Looked like Velvet to me.

Now, starting with my latest addition (yes, this is a new process for me), I am being more vigilant and will fresh water dip and quarantine new fish before putting it into the display tank.

Never ever again.

CM125
02-09-2015, 02:31 PM
Ive always just dropped them in, but I still make sure its at night or the lights are off to let them settle in. As said above, setting up and maintaining another tank is a lot of time and money. I think even with a tank crash I still wouldn't QT. Just me.

Dearth
02-09-2015, 07:00 PM
I have the tanks for QT but I don't have the space but I also understand the risks of putting things directly into the tank and the roll of the dice that I play every time I do so it is my fault if the tank dies and my reward if the tank lives.

This always has and most likely will be a hot button topic with Home aquarists for a very long time to come.

The Guy
02-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Quarantine? No
Survival rate? 100%
Bought from? Everywhere

Float 10-15mins is all

+3 agree!

Aquattro
02-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Quarantine? No
Survival rate? 100%
Bought from? Everywhere

Float 10-15mins is all

For how many years exactly? I did this and bragged about it for 15 years. Last 2 years I've lost over 4k in fish. Can't even calculate the cost of my time..

I get the whole thing with it being difficult and costly, but most people at least agree they should QT and acknowledge the risk. To just blatantly snub it is arrogant. Not saying anyone here is actually doing that, but I know many that do.

seabreeze
02-09-2015, 08:25 PM
For seven years I too would just add fish to my display after drip acclimatizing and I was LUCKY... let me repeat.... I was LUCKY!!!

That all changed when I added a beautiful exotic looking tang to my display. Several days later he started flashing but nothing visible... fish started dying within 24 hours, and within 48 hours I had lost all but 2. I was living the VELVET nightmare.

Some of my fish I had over 6 years. I had a beautiful Powder Brown Tang, a spawning designer pair of clowns (that I got as teeny tiny babies), a Candy Cane Basslet (cough cough) just to name a few. The losses were DEVASTATING. I almost quit the hobby.

I have gone full circle and now QT ALL my fish. Kept my DT fallow for 5 months also.

I used to be of the belief that QT would be way more stressful on new fish. A small barren tank, being isolated... vs having a reef environment, with lots of dark hiding spaces, and fellow fish...

So wrong!!! Instead they get to emerge and eat at their own pace, without being chased, they get stronger and with that bolder.

LOL I did splurge recently and got myself another Candy Cane Basslet (cough, cough... cough, cough). Had him in QT for 9 weeks (a wrasse he was with died for no apparent reason and didn't want to take any chances).

He did his typical hiding but quite soon figured out that I was that 'wonderful thing' that brought him tasty treats. He soon whipped out every time he saw me by the tank.

When the day came to graduate to the DT, he did his panic thing and went into hiding... and my other normally docile fish became temporary bullies and chased him around. Had about a week of this. Eventually they chilled out and guess he became hungry enough. So good thing he was nice and plump going into the tank.

But LOL he still comes dashing out whenever he sees me looking into the tank. He comes out of nowhere. I can go from side-glass to side-glass and BOOM there he is right in my face. These fish are normally quite cryptic... its quite cool... the bond he made with me from his QT time LOL

Yes, I am now completely reformed and no longer play the Russian Roulette game. I DO QT ...at least my fish LOL. Can't say that for corals yet (although I do dip)... and for now just very hopeful that I don't get 'bit' ;)

seabreeze
02-09-2015, 08:28 PM
By the way... COMPLETE cost of my 20 gallon QT tank around $100. This includes HOB filter, heater, additional small powerhead, foam filter, lid with built in LED light :D

Myka
02-10-2015, 02:07 AM
He did his typical hiding but quite soon figured out that I was that 'wonderful thing' that brought him tasty treats. He soon whipped out every time he saw me by the tank.

But LOL he still comes dashing out whenever he sees me looking into the tank. He comes out of nowhere. I can go from side-glass to side-glass and BOOM there he is right in my face. These fish are normally quite cryptic... its quite cool... the bond he made with me from his QT time LOL

One of the side-benefits of quarantine. :) I love Candy Basslets - they are definitely personable!

seabreeze
02-10-2015, 04:28 PM

Perfectly said!

theokie
02-10-2015, 06:28 PM
I used to do a 2 to 3 day observation, seperate tank, just hit them with Prazipro to deworm and was fine. For almost 2 years. Then I got some Lammark's angels and didn't acclimate them separately as I wanted to get them eating in my reef, and they brought velvet. After having to tear down a 200 gallon tank 48x48 in order to catch the remaining fish to treat. I'm going to do the all out full multi-month quarantine. I lost close to 1500 in fish, some of which I had become quite attached too.

you may be fine with the gamble, and well ick doesn't kill healthy fish, when Velvet strikes you will understand why people go to such great lengths to quarantine.

On the plus side, this curbs any impulse buying as well, as I currently only have one 75 gallon tank dedicated to quarantine.

Ulmo
02-11-2015, 12:34 AM
I havn't been in the hobby long, but my research tells me that quarantine is a "best practice". All my fish have been through quarantine 4-6 weeks. I have 2 in there right now.

Myka
02-11-2015, 01:27 PM
I'm happy to see more than 1/3 of reefers are quarantining. :)

Aquattro
02-11-2015, 01:28 PM
I'm happy to see more than 1/3 of reefers are quarantining. :)

Very surprised with that number tho :)

Myka
02-11-2015, 02:06 PM
Very surprised with that number tho :)

Me too. Although the CanReef community does not reflect the marine aquarium hobbyist world as a whole (or even Canada-wide). I've always found the average CanReefer is not the average person to walk through the door of a LFS.

Dearth
02-11-2015, 02:42 PM
I was on RC last night and there is a multitude of threads there about whether to QT or not and one of the longer threads about 80+ pages somebody figured out around 40% QT while the rest did direct dumping or a variation of QT

SiliconGuy
02-16-2015, 03:33 PM
Not that I want to dwell on the subject but I found the following quote somewhat appropriate:

"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Aquattro
02-16-2015, 03:54 PM
Ya know, the worst part of QT is the waiting :) Anxious to get the new fish added to the DT

hillegom
02-16-2015, 04:39 PM
Ya know, the worst part of QT is the waiting :) Anxious to get the new fish added to the DT

+1
I have a molly miller in the TT method right now from Oceanic in Aldergrove.
He's doing well, but its hard to wait. Worth it in the end though