PDA

View Full Version : Multi Barred Angels

straightrazorguy
01-11-2015, 12:29 AM
After my recent fiasco with the Moorish Idols, I decided to try my hand at another difficult fish: the multi-barred angel. Since I am clearly a glutton for punishment (aren't we all in this hobby?), I sourced three little cuties. I have been looking for one for a year now, I even started a LF thread, to no avail. So, when the opportunity arose, I bought 3 of them. Two are loonie-sized and the third is more the size of a twoonie. Needless to say twoonie is dominating the other two.

I threw them in a 33 gallon with some cheato and props for hiding places, but they don't seem to care. They are all swimming around happily. There's some minor chasing, but nothing they can't handle.

The second day I started throwing in a variety of foods. So far they have nibbled at some cyclop-eeze, both frozen and dried. I haven't seen them eat anything else.

I want to see them eat before I add Prazipro. I want to treat them with Prazipro preventively and then keep them in hyposalinity for a month. Any comments/suggestions?

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag260/straightrazorguy/TwoMultiBar_zps41d35e77.jpghttp://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag260/straightrazorguy/ThirdMultiBar_zps24132714.jpg

albert_dao
01-11-2015, 12:41 AM
Black out the sides. Helps a lot. Also, I prefer to use clay pots in QT tanks. They are heavier and darker. Helps the fish feel more comfortable.

straightrazorguy
01-12-2015, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the advice Albert. That is just a tank I threw together quickly. I am working on it.

Update: Twoonie eats cyclop-eeze (both frozen and dry) and frozen blood worms from the water column
Loonie and quarter only peck at things on the bottom of the tank or on the rocks. I don't see them eating heartily....
None of them touch pellets or clam on the half shell.

There's a fair amount of chasing going on, but no actual damage. They seem to chase each other in a tight circle , almost like a dance. I mean a circle barely wider than their length. Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

albert_dao
01-12-2015, 12:54 AM
Yah, you gotta put a stop to that. Even though they aren't exhibiting any signs of physical stress, eventually, you'll end up with fish huddled up at the top of the tank that refuse to eat. Put in a divider and that should put a stop to that til you get them into a larger tank where they should have much more room and cover to deal with the aggression.

George
01-12-2015, 01:46 AM
There's a fair amount of chasing going on, but no actual damage. They seem to chase each other in a tight circle , almost like a dance. I mean a circle barely wider than their length. Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

yeah...they are trying to establish pecking order...through fighting. I would second the suggestion of adding a couple dividers and separate all 3. Are you trying to build a harem? It would be best if you can get all 3 to eat regularly and be fat first before you introduce them to each other.

Ron99
01-12-2015, 03:53 AM
I tried one which was eating mysis and blood worm. but my purple tang was harassing it so badly it ended up hiding in the corner almost full time and not getting much food. So I had to rehome it :(

gregzz4
01-12-2015, 04:26 AM
I don't know much about these fishies, but I'll agree that separation is in order
Plus, get away from the bloodworms - not really a good diet for SW fish
Try some chopped up plankton/krill instead

straightrazorguy
01-12-2015, 04:53 AM
yeah...they are trying to establish pecking order...through fighting. I would second the suggestion of adding a couple dividers and separate all 3. Are you trying to build a harem? It would be best if you can get all 3 to eat regularly and be fat first before you introduce them to each other.

Yes, George, I am trying to build a harem. I will divide them tomorrow if the chasing continues. I do want to keep them all....

straightrazorguy
01-12-2015, 04:56 AM
Plus, get away from the bloodworms - not really a good diet for SW fish
Try some chopped up plankton/krill instead

I know bloodworms are not good, but I was throwing at them what I had on hand. Where can I get some plankton/krill? What do you recommend?

Ron99
01-12-2015, 05:47 AM
There's nothing wrong with bloodworms as part of a diet but I wouldn't do them as the only food source. Personally I don't do anything as a single main food source. I change it up with a mix of different frozen foods and different pellets. A real variety of things so the fish have different meals on different days.

gregzz4
01-12-2015, 01:28 PM
J&L has frozen plankton, and TimT has pacifica plankton. I believe Tim's is a bit smaller but it's been awhile since I bought it from Jeff

straightrazorguy
01-18-2015, 01:50 AM
Thanks Greg, I will get them some plankton.

Update: The three fish are doing well. Twoonie eats frozen like a pig, including some flake. Loonie and Quarter peck at things, but I haven't seen them eat heartily. However, all 3 fish look well and they seem to have grown a bit. The chasing has abated somewhat, as they seem to have their own "territories" now.

I haven't medicated them at all, as I was trying to get them eating. Tonight I noticed Loonie has white stringy poop trailing behind him. I know this is symptomatic of intestinal parasites. What kind of medication do you guys recommend?

albert_dao
01-18-2015, 02:05 AM
Metro for bacterial, prazi for flukes. Its hard to tell which they have without an examination of the feces with a microscope, but I'd recommend starting with prazi and seeing how they look after four days. If the poop doesn'tnormalize, switch to metronidazol.

straightrazorguy
01-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Metro for bacterial, prazi for flukes. Its hard to tell which they have without an examination of the feces with a microscope, but I'd recommend starting with prazi and seeing how they look after four days. If the poop doesn'tnormalize, switch to metronidazol.

Thanks Albert.

Update: I started Prazipro a week ago, It took me two days to bring the dosage up to the recommended level. Quarter didn't make it, though; he never ate and yesterday he went to Angel heaven, where there is no shortage of live food and sponges...

Twoonie has grown quite a bit, and Loonie look OK, although he hasn't grown as much. Yesterday I noticed him scratching on the PVC pipes. Today he is also shaking in short spurts. He clearly has something that is bugging him. I thought Prazipro would take care of flukes, so it must be smething else. I can't see anything visible, but he keeps scratching the same side.

Any ideas? I don't wnat to lose these two...

George
01-25-2015, 12:29 AM
It may be the fluke after all. When the fluke dies and exits the fish body, it leaves some wounds on the body. When the wounds are healing, the fish feels itchy, just like in human. If that's the case, then scratching is normal.
Another possibility is marine ich. I saw it before that fish had marine ich was scratching but the symptom (white dots) wouldn't show up a few days later. So watch your fish closely in the next few days.
On a hind-sight, I wouldn't start the the PP until all fish are eating and fat. PP can suppress appetite for some fish. Also it's very safe to dose full dosage at once.
Good luck on your remaining pair.