PDA

View Full Version : Part Time Or Full Time Skimming

input80
12-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Just curious if you all are running your skimmers 24/7 365 or anything less & why. What have you noticed if you have experimented with both?

The Guy
12-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Full time 24/7 365 days

hillegom
12-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Full time
I read somewhere that you can only skim out approx a third of the organics at any given time.So full time will skim more at the end of the day.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Full time 24/7 365 days

What he said. I have very high bioload so I would do 36/7 365 days if I could:wink::razz: Actually modding a much bigger skimmer this week to upgrade to a dual pump cone from my excellent Deltec Recirc skimmer that pulls out a full container of nasty dark skimmate every 5 days.

sumpfinfishe
01-03-2015, 02:58 AM
I answered 24/7 however, my skimmer shuts down for 10min 3 times a day during feeding mode via my digital aquatics controller so i guess it's 23.5/7 :mrgreen:

Aquattro
01-03-2015, 03:14 AM
Although I don't know why people would run less than 24/7, I expected more votes on that line.

Proteus
01-03-2015, 03:15 AM
I skim at night. It was part of my zeo schedule. Not sure if it really made a difference as I never really noticed my skimmer doing much during lights on. I do dose bentonite and foz down but dose it as soon as lights go out

ReEf BoSs
01-03-2015, 06:48 AM
Although I don't know why people would run less than 24/7, I expected more votes on that line.

Wow, something almost everyone agrees on lol:biggrin:

reefwars
01-03-2015, 07:18 AM
I voted for number two just so it feels better , no one wants to be left out:mrgreen:

Madreefer
01-03-2015, 02:24 PM
Is there a reason why you wouldn't skim 24/7?
The oceans work 24/7 so why would our skimmers not?

Proteus
01-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Is there a reason why you wouldn't skim 24/7?
The oceans work 24/7 so why would our skimmers not?

For some reason I am unable to get rid of micro bubbles, I have tried two different skimmers and had same result. I would now think that the bubble traps in sump are to blame but am unable to change or modify sump. I also have a huge overrated skimmer with a moderate bioload.. When I started using zeo. Alexander on zeos forum suggested part time skimming to prevent stripping bacteria from the water column. I changed to a modified carbon dosing system as the full zeo employment was stripping water to sterilization.
I think that my skimmer was not skimming during the day due to ph fluctuations from photosynthesis. (but I'm probably not correct.
Here is a small right up from unique corals

As you know, I've written repeatedly about how we don't skim 24/7/365 at UC anymore, and how our corals reflected this in better color and more consistent growth. So, since we know that skimming isn't quite as efficient at removing DOC as we used to assume, perhaps it's the removal of some of the inorganic stuff (CaCO3, MgCO3, and SiO2 ) that negatively affects the growth of our corals when we skim aggressively and continuously. Regardless, skimming super aggressively (as I used to do during the 1990's) has, in my experience, historically resulted in less colorful, less rapidly-growing corals. Our experience at Unique Corals with backing off of the protein skimming has been completely positive.

I'm not telling reefers to turn their protein skimmers into vases. What I am suggesting is that we employ multiple methods of nutrient control and export so that we don't rely excessively on any one practice, methodology, or piece of hardware. If I had to choose just one method, I'd employ regular water exchanges, as they offer the dual benefit of removing dissolved organic compounds from the system, while helping replenish inorganic compounds and materials removed by skimming and animal metabolism.

Madreefer
01-03-2015, 03:47 PM
That's interesting. I've had the pump go on my skimmer and the one week wait for a replacement caused me a lot of stress but I'm also a heavy feeder. I like Brad's explanation on skimming, why do half a flush after going to the washroom. I'm sure you've already tried this but have you put a felt filter sock on the outlet of your protein skimmer?

Proteus
01-03-2015, 03:51 PM
I've laid filter floss over the baffles before and it did help somewhat. I should find some sponge type of material to put between baffles which would probably trap bubbles