PDA

View Full Version : Do you tend to buy frags or colonies?

Myka
12-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Do you mainly buy frags or colonies? Why? Multiple choice!

Aquattro
12-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Frags. I can mount them directly to the rock and they will grow out more natural looking. Into colonies. Then I like colonies better

Myka
12-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Frags. I can mount them directly to the rock and they will grow out more natural looking. Into colonies. Then I like colonies better

Haha, that's the money answer. THEN I like colonies better. ;)

Aquattro
12-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Haha, that's the money answer. THEN I like colonies better. ;)

Well, my preference is large mature colonies, as my tanks have always shown, but I want the most natural growth AND I want the pride that comes from growing them. A tank full of colonies is crap if you just bought an insta-reef!! (Me? Opinionated??)

Myka
12-06-2014, 10:41 PM
Well, my preference is large mature colonies, as my tanks have always shown, but I want the most natural growth AND I want the pride that comes from growing them. A tank full of colonies is crap if you just bought an insta-reef!! (Me? Opinionated??)

SPS colonies never really grow right, I like to buy SPS frags. I prefer LPS colonies though because they grow so much slower.

Aquattro
12-06-2014, 10:48 PM
I prefer LPS colonies though because they grow so much slower.

Ya, I forget I even have any. I did buy these as colonies.

Aquattro
12-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Another reason for frags is ease of dipping and removing pests. I can't dip a whole colony and inspect it under scope.

Reef Pilot
12-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Have never bought a colony. Most of my SPS started as 2 inch or less (most less) frags. I guess it is pride with me, too. I like to see them grow and change.

reefwars
12-06-2014, 11:47 PM
Frags , colonies of what I like would either bankrupt us or don't exist :)

brotherd
12-06-2014, 11:55 PM
Over time I've bought several mini colonies but only have 3 left. Frags do better in my tank it seems. I've thought of buying a nice mini colony and fragging it to see if that works better...

ReEf BoSs
12-06-2014, 11:55 PM
Frags so far for me. Mostly i just havent thought about buying a colony. Hmmm maybe ill start

straightrazorguy
12-07-2014, 12:17 AM
I picked "frags because I'm cheap". But the reality is that I choose fras for many reasons:
- I AM cheap!
- I like to watch them grow
- If they are new corals, I'm unsure how they do in my tank, especially SPS. I don't want to risk killing a whole colony. Killing a frag makes me feel less guilty for being a bad reefer....

How's that for a long-winded answer?

Masonjames
12-07-2014, 01:17 AM
I can barely afford the frags let alone colonies. Lol. So frags get my vote.

H2o2
12-07-2014, 05:06 AM
With the right name comes price and it is not just because of the name they are actually the nicest ones once the grow out . Strawberry short cake special forest fire so pretty .Palmer blue milli so blue if you like blue . There is always some though, red dragon why are all the tips going blue

Doug
12-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Mostly frags to. I recently bought 4 mini colonies. Beautiful. Then had an alk problem, which should not happen with my experience but it did and bingo, lost all but one colony. So yes, frags.

Myka
12-07-2014, 03:59 PM
My reasons are:

I like to buy SPS and LPS frags because the price is lower (I'm not into the $250 LPS colonies these days, but I like pricey stuff haha), I prefer SPS frags because the colonies tend to grow out funny and seem to take longer to settle in and start growing. I prefer LPS colonies because they mostly grow fairly slow, but due to pricing and also lack of space in my tank I tend to buy frags instead.

shiftline
12-07-2014, 08:25 PM
What's the easiest way to mount frags? Do you guys glue them on, wedge them in or make holes for plugs ahead of them? Starting a new tank just getting into corals

ReEf BoSs
12-07-2014, 10:01 PM
What's the easiest way to mount frags? Do you guys glue them on, wedge them in or make holes for plugs ahead of them? Starting a new tank just getting into corals

Glue and wedge for me. :biggrin: