PDA

View Full Version : need advice please

SaltyDog143
10-03-2014, 04:29 AM
Ok i have been having some trouble finding a heater for my system, the compartment in the sump that it will be in is 13.5" x 10", with 8" of water, i would prefer a submersible (of course) that will fit into this compartment. Any suggestions?
The heater and pumpwill be in there together, which brings me to my next question.....

I could really use some suggestions on a reliable pump thats fairly quiet, its a 120gal tank 50 gal sump with approx 30 gal of water, and a 5' lift from sump to tank top.

thanks in advance
Randy

rsisvixen
10-03-2014, 05:05 AM
You could try a Jebao DC 6000 for a pump. Mine is pretty quiet and I like the soft start feature.

gregzz4
10-03-2014, 05:21 AM
You can't go wrong with Eheim Jagger heaters
They do last a very long time, but, if you can stand them up vertically and keep the controller 'head' out of water they will last much longer
Check out their specs online for the heating size/dimension you need
And keep in mind that you can pair up or triple what they recommend - you don't need to run just 1 heater. And running more than you need is safer anyway

There are also titanium heaters out there you could look into
Some need controllers, and some come with

For a pump you could always go with the old standby that never fails - the Eheim 1262
Rock-solid pump that will last you for years and years

WarDog
10-03-2014, 05:33 AM
You can't go wrong with Eheim Jagger heaters
They do last a very long time, but, if you can stand them up vertically and keep the controller 'head' out of water they will last much longer
Check out their specs online for the heating size/dimension you need
And keep in mind that you can pair up or triple what they recommend - you don't need to run just 1 heater. And running more than you need is safer anyway

There are also titanium heaters out there you could look into
Some need controllers, and some come with

For a pump you could always go with the old standby that never fails - the Eheim 1262
Rock-solid pump that will last you for years and years

+1.

DC pumps have all the cool modern features, but there have been many documented failures of the controllers and power supplies.
I'm not saying don't try one, but it's probably a good idea to have an AC pump available as a back up. The Eheim 1262 is killz!

The Guy
10-03-2014, 07:55 AM
I use a Via Aqua titanium heater with a remote set & temp probe Keeps my 90 g DT & 50 Sump @ 79 Degrees perfect it's totally submergible and only 9" long. There $45 @ J&L , I have a couple of extra's for $30 each. I run a 125 watt Eheim Jager as well as back up. Both heaters are great quality.

SaltyDog143
10-03-2014, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the input guys

SaltyDog143
10-04-2014, 05:45 AM
Due to some advice and some more reading I have a couple questions about how I am thinking of setting this up......

do you guys think the eheim 1262 will have sufficient flow for my 120 gal tank, considering I have a 5' lift from sump to tank top?

been loooking into controller and heaters and am considering buying the digital aquatics reef keeper elite plus as well as two finnex deluxe titanium heating tubes (300w)

Opinions? Does this sound good? I like the size of the finnex 300w, as they will fit in my sump, just not sure if you can install them laying on their sides, I have heard that some submersible ones should not be installed that way.

as always, opinions and suggestions greatly welcomed
Randy

neoh
10-04-2014, 05:54 AM
try the head loss calculator to calculate the amount of flow you would be getting:

http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

300w is probably overkill, but would work fine. I use a 200W on my 180 and a backup titanium connected to my reefkeeper as well, using a temperature probe.

My heaters have always been resting in the tank, with the top out of the water on a 45 degree angle. Never heard of not putting them horizontal. The titanium heater is meant to be horizontal as far as I understand.

KeystoneAquatics
10-04-2014, 04:29 PM
I have all waveline pumps and they have been great and super quiet. Saltysupply has a sale right now on them, 43% off I believe.

intarsiabox
10-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Opinions? Does this sound good? I like the size of the finnex 300w, as they will fit in my sump, just not sure if you can install them laying on their sides, I have heard that some submersible ones should not be installed that way.

I've always had my Eheim and ViaAqua heaters laying on the bottom of my sump for years without issue.

SaltyDog143
10-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Ok so here is how we have decided to go......

Ordered a digital aquatics Elite plus system last night from Bulk Reef as it is a good price right now, going to pick up two finnex delux 300w heaters (they require a controller, going to use the RKE) I think in the long run the options the RKE offers will hopefully pay for itself? time will tell.

My thinking on the RKE is I can hook up my wavemakers, pump, lights, temp monitoring, ph monitoring, temp control, ATO, dosing if need be, etc, etc so we dished out the cash for it.

With pumps...I am still so up in the air with this one, my LFS is bringing in one this week that he says alot of people use that he has run out of stock on, will call me when they come in. I hear lots of peple love the Eheim 1262, but it is only rated for 900gph, this seems kinda low when we talk about 5' head height, and the extras for plumbing.

My system is 120gal, approx 30gal in the sump, 5' lift from sump to top of tank...I know I can use the calculator that is available but none of the newer pumps seem to be on there, the 1262 is not as well as some of the others like the DC pumps......

Keystone says he has had good luck with his waveline, and to me it seems like a good option, but some say the reliability of DC pumps is still under question, I know only I can make the decision on what I want in my tank but there is way too much info out there to sort through, one guy loves a product, next guy says its junk and would never use it again....man its frustrating

Ok I think thats my rant for today,

Closing question, has anyone used an eheim 1262 on a system of my size and been happy with it? maybe my issue is I am not sure how much flow I should have?

Anyway, thanks everyone for your input it is much appreciated
Randy