PDA

View Full Version : LF Macro Algae

EdsonFOWLR
09-16-2014, 07:07 PM
I am looking for Calpura macro algae. Is there anyone that can spare some in the Edmonton area?, or another good one to help with nitrates.

markevee
09-16-2014, 11:53 PM
yeah if you had some id like some to, purple algae to kick start it would be great as well . my tanks been going 6 months and no algae at all yet. i'm just getting started on corals, and wow are they expensive, put small clove polyps, a mushroom and bubble tip Anenome in over this last month and it cost me around $100 from the store. My anenome killed my clove polyps! not all of them though, they spread fast. i didn't think anenomes actually moved that much but this one is all over my tank. I didn't realize this hobby was so expensive! already put over $1000 into a 10g nano reef tank. There has to be cheaper ways!! does anyone have suggestions or where to get stuff! I'm out of money, and want to expand.

intarsiabox
09-17-2014, 12:31 AM
yeah if you had some id like some to, purple algae to kick start it would be great as well . my tanks been going 6 months and no algae at all yet. i'm just getting started on corals, and wow are they expensive, put small clove polyps, a mushroom and bubble tip Anenome in over this last month and it cost me around $100 from the store. My anenome killed my clove polyps! not all of them though, they spread fast. i didn't think anenomes actually moved that much but this one is all over my tank. I didn't realize this hobby was so expensive! already put over $1000 into a 10g nano reef tank. There has to be cheaper ways!! does anyone have suggestions or where to get stuff! I'm out of money, and want to expand.

Canreef Buy & Sell forum!

markevee
09-17-2014, 12:34 AM
I don't think manny people use that in spruc grove or edmonton area

EdsonFOWLR
09-17-2014, 12:53 AM

I know how you fee, I have already put $1500 into my 122 gallon FOWLR and I am just finishing stocking it. Built most of the stuff for it myself to save some money, IE sump, glasslid.

shannon32
09-17-2014, 01:52 AM
Try Facebook groups ( edmonton coral buy and sell) there is always something to buy you can always find a good buy lot of good people on there most people would trade for stock

markevee
09-17-2014, 03:18 AM
Too bad I'm anti Facebook, I've been replying to every kijiji add that pops up. Most people still want a fair bit for there equipment/corals. It's horrible! I'm going to help people out when I get my tank finally up and going. if something's over growing ill break chunks off and give them away! So I read somewhere that you need deionized water to get purple algae.. Is this true because that's going to be so so expensive

shannon32
09-17-2014, 04:20 AM
Not true in my book I have been using plan old tap water in my tank and running carbon in a canister filter for about three years now in a 30 gal sump less and my rock is totally covered lol when it started to grow a bit some guy told me to shut off my filters and brush the coralline with a stainless steel brush and let it settle I did once a week and in about 6 months all my rock was covered completely you just need a good seed to get the ball rolling I'm not saying that is gospel but it sure worked for me

EdsonFOWLR
09-17-2014, 04:59 AM
Not true in my book I have been using plan old tap water in my tank and running carbon in a canister filter for about three years now in a 30 gal sump less and my rock is totally covered lol when it started to grow a bit some guy told me to shut off my filters and brush the coralline with a stainless steel brush and let it settle I did once a week and in about 6 months all my rock was covered completely you just need a good seed to get the ball rolling I'm not saying that is gospel but it sure worked for me

I have lots of coralline in my tank, you just need the right spectrum of light (higher in the blues) and I have a emerald crab and some tangs that help spread it around.

EdsonFOWLR
09-17-2014, 05:02 AM
Try Facebook groups ( edmonton coral buy and sell) there is always something to buy you can always find a good buy lot of good people on there most people would trade for stock

Thanx just joined!