PDA

View Full Version : MP10 not pushing much water ,, options ?

kengeroo
04-04-2014, 02:56 PM
So I have my tank setup, Redsea C-250...
I slapped a MP10 into one end of it.

I tried every mode and can't get a decent wave..

2 questions,,,

1) MP10 max glass thickness is 9.5mm , mine is 10 mm,, will this be an issue ??

2) to get a wave going should I replace the MP10 with a MP40 ? or get a second MP10..

Ecotech rates the MP10 for 50 gal,, my tank is 55 gal,,,
will getting 2 MP10's bump up my rating to 100 Gal ???

I'm thinking if yes,, then 2 MP10's will give me more flexibility,, but if they are too puny than I'd rather get a MP40

thoughts ??? thx

Madreefer
04-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Two would be ideal as the Vortechs work way better in groups. Random flow is way better than a wave and thats what you want. Adding another MP10 would help alot but take in mind if you bump up to the 40s the noise level may get annoying

Craigdillman
04-06-2014, 07:46 PM
i have 2 mp10s in a 125 6 foot long tank it thats all i need they are at 75% wave mode and it covers all the tank and almost no dead spots

bought a wp25 thinking i needed more and i don't as of yet

Razor
04-07-2014, 02:01 AM
Two would be ideal as the Vortechs work way better in groups. Random flow is way better than a wave and thats what you want. Adding another MP10 would help alot but take in mind if you bump up to the 40s the noise level may get annoying

I'm running 2 MP40s and there is a hum but nothing out of the ordinary, doesn't bother me at all.;)

kengeroo
04-07-2014, 04:52 PM
I think I'll be getting a MP40 to pair up with the MP10...

Was wondering if when paired that they would both know that one is a 10 and the other is a 40,,, compensating for the difference or something ??

Coralgurl
04-07-2014, 09:17 PM
I had an MP10 on my 55 gl, wasn't enough so added the MP40. You don't have to sync them, just have them on the same setting, MP 10 at full, MP 40 at 50% and you are good, or adjust as needed. I have 2 MP40's on my 180, they are synced, and run at the same speed.

kengeroo
04-08-2014, 12:52 AM
Does not syncing them ensure that they are on the same program ? performing the same function in "Sync" ???

I had an MP10 on my 55 gl, wasn't enough so added the MP40. You don't have to sync them, just have them on the same setting, MP 10 at full, MP 40 at 50% and you are good, or adjust as needed. I have 2 MP40's on my 180, they are synced, and run at the same speed.

Coralgurl
04-08-2014, 01:08 AM
Does not syncing them ensure that they are on the same program ? performing the same function in "Sync" ???

Sure, but then you can only adjust the speed on the main one which controls both. When I added two mp 40's to my 180, my mp10 on the 55 got programmed as well and I couldn't adjust the speed. I had to unprogram it. Might be different with just the 2, so just try it.

When I just had the 55, the were both set on reef crest, at different speeds, not synced and that tank did just fine.

Myka
04-08-2014, 02:58 AM
You can get a lot more water movement from a pump if you place it as close to the surface as you can without it sucking air. Place it in the middle (front to back) and point directly across the length of the tank. You will get an oscillating flow this way. You might be able to get the movement you want by doing this.

mike31154
04-08-2014, 03:39 AM
Once you have multiple EcoTech pumps with wireless enabled drivers, your flow options are virtually limitless. Take some time to read through your owner's manual, there's plenty of info in there as to the optimum settings for various set ups. I have 3 MP40s on my 77 gallon. They are set up in a Master/Slave relationship running in TSM (Tidal Swell Mode) with maximum speed set at about 80%. No need to worry about sync or anti-sync, TSM takes care of that automatically. The one on the back glass is limited to a lower speed since my tank is narrow. I know of no other pump system out there that offers the flexibility in choices to run multiple pumps that EcoTech offers with the W ES drivers.

I'm fairly certain MP10s are designed for nano tanks & while there are differing opinions on the definition of 'nano', a 55 gallon tank such as yours would be considered as pushing it in the nano world. Nevertheless, you have an MP10 and that's fine. I wish I had one for my back glass instead of the MP40, but as mentioned, the ability for me to limit it's maximum speed independent of the other 2 pumps, allows me to use it no problem. The advantage an MP10 would give me, is an even smaller footprint in the tank. The advantage of the MP40 in a mid size tank, is that you don't have to run it at 100% to get the flow you need, and that translates into a lower level of motor noise.

Myka
04-08-2014, 03:46 AM
I have a Tunze 6055 in my 50-gallon reef. It is the only pump in the tank. The 6055 is rated as pushing slightly less water than the MP-10. I don't know how that plays out in the real world because I haven't owned an MP-10 before. However, I am able to push a ton of water with the 6055 with the pump positioned high in the tank as described in my post above. If I position it lower in the tank or pointed down into the tank then the water barely moves around the tank.

mike31154
04-08-2014, 03:57 AM
I have a Tunze 6055 in my 50-gallon reef. It is the only pump in the tank. The 6055 is rated as pushing slightly less water than the MP-10. I don't know how that plays out in the real world because I haven't owned an MP-10 before. However, I am able to push a ton of water with the 6055 with the pump positioned high in the tank as described in my post above. If I position it lower in the tank or pointed down into the tank then the water barely moves around the tank.

I have no experience with Tunze pumps either Mindy, so no idea about how that scenario works in a 50 gal or so tank. If memory serves, the flow patterns of VorTechs & Tunzes are somewhat different (VorTechs have a broader flow?), but I could be wrong, since I don't have personal experience with a Tunze 6055. I do know that if you put an EcoTech too close to the surface, it will pull a little vortex, a mini water tornado from the surface. The MPs do have a closed section on their cage that should be oriented to the top to prevent/minimize this, but there's a limit to how close you can put them to the surface.

Bottom line is, the OP has a VorTech, not a Tunze, so not sure if advice regarding placement would be comparable.

Myka
04-08-2014, 04:04 AM
I do know that if you put an EcoTech too close to the surface, it will pull a little vortex, a mini water tornado from the surface. The MPs do have a closed section on their cage that should be oriented to the top to prevent this, but there's a limit to how close you can put them to the surface.

Bottom line is, the OP has a VorTech, not a Tunze, so not sure if advice regarding placement would be comparable.

The Tunze will also pull a vortex in if placed too close to the surface. There is a wide-flow cage and a narrow-flow cage. I always use the wide-flow cage because it actually pushes more flow and is what Tunze came out with when it was discovered that Tunze pumps pushed significantly less water volume than advertised.

Anyway, the positioning advice has to with oscillating flow, and has nothing to do with the brand of pump used. The point is that you can create more flow with a pump by using it at the surface and creating an oscillating flow pattern where the water flows across the surface, hits the other side, goes down the other side, back towards the pump across the bottom of the tank, and finally back up to the pump. Since the water flow is circular or oscillating, it takes less power to keep that flow going. If you have random flow you will need much, much stronger pumps to achieve the same amount of water movement.

Think about stirring water in a 5-gallon bucket. If you go around in a circle it is easy to move your spoon around and takes little effort. If you go around in random directions it is difficult to move your spoon around and it takes more effort.

Myka
04-08-2014, 04:10 AM
There is a great article in the March/April issue of Coral Magazine by Jake Adams on water flow. He talks about this same oscillating/laminar flow.

mike31154
04-08-2014, 04:11 AM
Hmm, makes sense about the circular thing, but don't most of us prefer random or chaotic flow in our tanks? Sure it will take more energy and/or more pumps, but that's kind of why I like my VorTech set up with multiple pumps instead of a single. Less chance for dead spots as well when you have a pump at each end of the tank.

Myka
04-08-2014, 04:22 AM
Hmm, makes sense about the circular thing, but don't most of us prefer random or chaotic flow in our tanks? Sure it will take more energy and/or more pumps, but that's kind of why I like my VorTech set up with multiple pumps instead of a single. Less chance for dead spots as well when you have a pump at each end of the tank.

Laminar flow keep detritus in the water column better than random flow.

iamfrontosa
04-08-2014, 05:35 AM
I am using MP40wESs at 20%. very quiet. I think the pumps would last longer than running an MP10s at 80-100%

Slyguy00
04-08-2014, 07:34 AM
I have 2 MP10s in my 75G and I usually run then at about 70% Im more than happy with the amount of flow that these little work horses provide :biggrin: