PDA

View Full Version : Drilling, should I be concerned about strength.

Sasq40
04-03-2014, 05:50 AM
So I've done all the test and the bottom of my tank doesn't appear to be tempered so I'm going to attempt drill it. Now I'm kind of wondering if I should be concerned about these holes weakening the glass and causing a issue down the road. I plan to have a centre over flow with a 1.5 drain and two 3/4 returns. Will these holes cause any issues of concern related to strength and possibility of something happening down the road.?

mark
04-03-2014, 12:54 PM
if not drilled too close to the edge or either other, no problem.

might want to rethink number of drains, going 2 for herbie or 3 for bean will guarantee silence

FishyFishy!
04-03-2014, 01:36 PM
if not drilled too close to the edge or either other, no problem.

might want to rethink number of drains, going 2 for herbie or 3 for bean will guarantee silence

+1

Don't worry about strength of glass if you are not drilling close to the edge of the glass. But definitely re-think your drains. I would do 2 X 1.5" or 2 X 1" drains. You should always have an emergency drain. I can't count how many times one has saved me from an overflow.

Sasq40
04-03-2014, 01:51 PM
My plan was to do a Durso Standpipe in my centre overflow, from what I've read dual Durso are hard to tune and generally don't work?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

FishyFishy!
04-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Just drill a second hole for an open top pipe that will sit about the top of the overflow teeth in case anything were to clog your durso.

You don't need to have an active secondary durso by any means. But a Herbie style drain will be safer and more on the quiet side than a durso.

Sasq40
04-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Good thinking, I'll throw another 1.5 bulkhead on my order

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

WarDog
04-03-2014, 02:00 PM
+1

Don't worry about strength of glass if you are not drilling close to the edge of the glass. But definitely re-think your drains. I would do 2 X 1.5" or 2 X 1" drains. You should always have an emergency drain. I can't count how many times one has saved me from an overflow.

+100