PDA

View Full Version : Finnex Heaters

Madreefer
02-28-2014, 02:01 AM
Hey I ordered one of these today as well as a couple of other things I just could'nt wait any longer for and stoked about. Any reviews from anyone would be appreciated. All the reviews i've seen are from a few years ago and not that great.

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Finnex-800W-Deluxe-Titanium-Heater-and-Controller-Combo.html

Magickiwi
02-28-2014, 02:45 AM
At reef central the "experts" drone on about how they fail etc. I just ordered one myself so I'll let you know.

Madreefer
02-28-2014, 03:22 AM
At reef central the "experts" drone on about how they fail etc. I just ordered one myself so I'll let you know.

Thanks man. I'll have it hooked up to my controllor as well as the one it comes with. I'm getting some stray voltage from one of the three heaters in my sump now. Out they come and hoping this one will do the trick on it's own.

paddyob
02-28-2014, 03:35 AM
Worst heater I ever owned. Within weeks I noticed it could not regular the temperature at all. It was very inacurate.

I use it for my salt mixing reservoir only now. It's good for nothing else.

Not saying they all suck. But I should have listened to the poor reviews. I would have sent it back but I ordered from BRS and I would have had to pay return shipping. Not worth it.

Hope yours is better.

Stones
02-28-2014, 02:30 PM
I've run both the digital and analog versions of the Finnex titanium heaters and have been generally pleased with both. I initially tried out a 50 watt digital heater for my small FW planted tank however the digital versions come pre-programmed to power back on at 81F after a power outage. Since I only wanted my tank to run at 76F, this was obviously an issue and ended up causing unnecessary stress to the tank inhabitants following power outages.

All of my finnex heaters since have been the analog versions as you simply set the dial and don't have to worry about the heater coming back on at a temperature that you didn't pre-set.

Obviously if you are using an external controller, you won't have to worry about this anyway but I just wanted to make this fact known as I wasn't aware of this when I originally purchased the digital heater.

The build quality of the heating unit itself looks to be very solid and watertight and I've had no problems whatsoever regulating my water temperature using the analog versions of these heaters.

One of my family members did have a 300 watt unit burn out on them however I suspect that water may have entered the control box as their tank was consistently leaking from the HOB filter.

Madreefer
02-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Yea it appears as though most of the bad reviews are for the 800W heater that I ordered. Oh well, just a couple more months left and heaters are usually unplugged until December.

Magickiwi
02-28-2014, 04:07 PM
I'll be using my Apex to control the temperature as well. I mostly went with this heater because it is much shorter than my JBJ titanium and it will fit in my sump.

Madreefer
02-28-2014, 04:16 PM
I'll be using my Apex to control the temperature as well. I mostly went with this heater because it is much shorter than my JBJ titanium and it will fit in my sump.

So did you just order the heater or with the controlor as well?
I ordered both with the idea of having my Neptune turning on the Finnex controllor. Looks like a may have wasted some money:redface: Well at least I have a spare than, i'm a bit of an equipment hoarder:lol:

Azzkr
02-28-2014, 04:53 PM
I was going to order thw 800w heater as well but went with two 500w analog ones instead for the same price as the 800w. this way I had a back up

Reef Supplies
02-28-2014, 05:04 PM
We no longer carry the problematic digital Finnex controllers. The ones we do carry have had a zero% return rate in the 2 years that we have been selling them.

Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Ray

Madreefer
02-28-2014, 05:12 PM
We no longer carry the problematic digital Finnex controllers. The ones we do carry have had a zero% return rate in the 2 years that we have been selling them.

Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Ray

Yea thanks Ray. I spoke to Johnny this morning and he explained that to me.

Reef Supplies
02-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Yea thanks Ray. I spoke to Johnny this morning and he explained that to me.

Ahh, cool. Thanks

paddyob
02-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Yea it appears as though most of the bad reviews are for the 800W heater that I ordered. Oh well, just a couple more months left and heaters are usually unplugged until December.

Sorry. mine was 300w analog dial.

But I bought it against bad reviews. And it was a mistake.

I've not used this particular heater by finnex.

MitchM
02-28-2014, 09:58 PM
I've owned 2 or 3 Finnex heaters and all of them had an end come off within two years.
I'll not be buying another one.
They looked good though (before the end popped off and left exposed wires in the sump) and I controlled the temperature through my Profilux controller.