PDA

View Full Version : Lighting is tripping GFCI...help!

duncangweller
02-11-2014, 03:38 AM
Hi All,

I have recently changed the order in which the lights turn on using my apex controller on my 6 bulb t5 tek light fixture.

It used to be:

2 bulbs>2 bulbs off and 4 on>all 6 on.

I have now changed it to:

4 bulbs on> 6 bulbs on > 2 off down to 4 bulbs again.

Now, all switches over fine until it tries to go from 6 bulbs in the eve down to four. When the two bulbs go off, it trips my GFCI and everything shuts down.

Even if I turn the bulbs off manually at any time going from 6 to 4 it trips the GFCI.

It never did it on my previous schedule and now I'm really stumped as to what's happening. The last thing I want is for it to happen when I go to work and have no flow or heat all evening.

Hope someone can help.
Thanks,
Dunc

neoh
02-11-2014, 04:04 AM
what is the power draw from the lights? What is the breaker? What else is on the outlet?

duncangweller
02-11-2014, 04:09 AM
Its a 6 bulb 54w t5 light. My whole system is running from one outlet. I've not had any problems in a year and a half with this. Its only been in the last few days when I changed the bulb timings.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

mike31154
02-11-2014, 04:12 AM
Fluorescent & MH ballasts are sometimes prone to tripping GFCIs. Almost impossible to troubleshoot most fluorescent ballast issues since they are sealed units. Could be a capacitor in one of the ballasts or could be the GFCI itself, coincidentally. Have you tried going back to the original schedule to see what happens?

duncangweller
02-11-2014, 04:15 AM
I haven't tried the original schedule again yet. I don't like the original schedule as the two bulbs are pinky in colour and don't look that great on their own so I would like to keep as is if I can.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk