PDA

View Full Version : BRS media reactors - input from owners please

gregzz4
01-27-2014, 01:50 AM
Do you run a single or double BRS media reactor ?
If so, do you have issues with air getting into your canister(s) over time? That is to say, does the level in your canisters drop ..... ?

I've bought some Aqua FX single units from J&L and am having issues with the water level in the canisters dropping over a matter of hours
I've double-checked all hoses and gasket/o-ring mating surfaces to be sure there is contact/sealing happening

I can't figure this out for the life of me

If I can't solve this issue, I'm going to buy the BRS ones if they work better

Thanks for your help

LoJack
01-27-2014, 02:19 AM
I use a Deluxe Single reactor from BRS. It has worked flawlessly since the day I bought it 2 years ago … and I've never had air enter the reactor.

Its quick to clean and change the media … and the deluxe is built very well, I can't speak about their regular reactors … but the Deluxe Single is a beauty.

Coralgurl
01-27-2014, 03:07 AM
I have the brs dual reactor, been running it for not quite 2 years and I'm not impressed. When I first set it up, the connectors leaked, I contacted brs and they sent me new ones, same issue, so I just lived with it. Right now I think the pump is gone, it's not moving the media around at all, even though it's running. Last media change it was working fine, check a few days later and nothing is moving. Tried adjusting the flow but it's pretty useless ATM.

When it did work, it was fine and notable improvement in water clarity from running carbon. But it's been more of a hassle than anything.

I'll pull the pump out tonight and see if there's something plugging it up that I can't see/ feel while it's running.

The other thing I noticed, that if the flow is too much at first, the carbon gets pushed to the top and will clog the sponge. I've found the only way to fix this is to pull it apart again. Because my connections leak, mine is in my sump so not the easiest to mess around with after cleaning. I do turn the flow down and adjust but i find it pretty sensitive and if too much adjustment, it's clogged.

My opinion, I'm sure others have different experiences.

1eyedjyde
01-27-2014, 03:21 AM
I have been running the brs dual reactor for around 2 years without issues, I do recommend ensuring the sponges are tight to the carbon cause if you increase the flow to tumble the gfo it is too much for the carbon. As far as the quick connects leaking you need to seat them by pushing them in firmly and then pulling back on them. Similar tubing and connectors are used on commercial air brake systems, so they should be reliable.

LoJack
01-27-2014, 03:23 AM
I have the brs dual reactor, been running it for not quite 2 years and I'm not impressed. When I first set it up, the connectors leaked, I contacted brs and they sent me new ones, same issue, so I just lived with it.

I had read a lot of people having the same issues. This is why I went with the deluxe. Better built, higher quality fittings. I haven't had any issues (knock on wood) and mine has never leaked or not sealed properly.

Coralgurl
01-27-2014, 03:40 AM
I have been running the brs dual reactor for around 2 years without issues, I do recommend ensuring the sponges are tight to the carbon cause if you increase the flow to tumble the gfo it is too much for the carbon. As far as the quick connects leaking you need to seat them by pushing them in firmly and then pulling back on them. Similar tubing and connectors are used on commercial air brake systems, so they should be reliable.

Trust me, I've done this many times. Once I get the reactors back in the sump, i can usually fiddle with the connectors to stop or minimize the leaking. My fiance has tried as well with no improvement. I'll move the sponge on the carbon next change and see if that helps. Thanks for the tip.

I had read a lot of people having the same issues. This is why I went with the deluxe. Better built, higher quality fittings. I haven't had any issues (knock on wood) and mine has never leaked or not sealed properly.
Nice when equipment works well. :lol:

gregzz4
01-27-2014, 04:05 AM
C'mon people :twised: I didn't ask for reviews

Re-read my post

I'm specifically looking for info on whether or not you get air building up over time that causes the water level in the canister to drop

Please stop posting about your experiences with usage unless it is directly related to the level in your canister dropping

Coralgurl
01-27-2014, 04:43 AM
No, water level in canister remained consistent, never noticed air in the canister, so from that standpoint it shouldn't be a problem. Disregard the other issues noted and sorry if thread was hijacked:redface:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-27-2014, 04:53 AM
C'mon people :twised: I didn't ask for reviews

Re-read my post

I'm specifically looking for info on whether or not you get air building up over time that causes the water level in the canister to drop

Please stop posting about your experiences with usage unless it is directly related to the level in your canister dropping

Me thinks too much caffeine there bud.

babnika
01-27-2014, 06:03 AM
no air hear

duncangweller
01-27-2014, 06:09 AM
I always get air in mine too. I fiddle with the ball valve a bit and I can normally get it to disappear.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The Guy
01-27-2014, 06:16 AM
I bought and one made by "Next Reef", it works flawlessly no air build up at all.

gregzz4
01-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Now we're getting somewhere
Thanks everyone :smile:

I always get air in mine too. I fiddle with the ball valve a bit and I can normally get it to disappear.

Does the air stay gone, or does it come back over time ?

Simons
01-27-2014, 03:18 PM
running two deluxe BRS reactors, no air, no leaks.

mseepman
01-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Bought the Deluxe BRS reactor a number of years ago. I've run it for GFO and Carbon through the years. I have had the issue of air and the level drop. Mine has an air bleed at the top in the form of a red button. When i get the problem you describe...I push the bleed and the level goes back up. You can't hold it long or water comes out the bleed nozzle.

straightrazorguy
01-27-2014, 08:11 PM
I bought and one made by "Next Reef", it works flawlessly no air build up at all.

I bought two NextReef reactors too, because I read some pretty bad reviews of the BRS ones on other forums.

H2o2
01-27-2014, 08:38 PM
Just thinking maybe it is siphoning out to some degree so maybe put the flow valve on the outlet inside of canister to keep the under pressure just thinking and not being able to try right now

MitchM
01-27-2014, 10:03 PM
I used to use the BRS reactors, but I never had any air problem with them.

gregzz4
01-28-2014, 12:12 AM
and sorry if thread was hijacked
I wouldn't call it hijacked so much as off track :lol:
I was a bit snarky last night as I've been frustrated lately with posts getting sidetracked and having to read through a bunch of unrelated stuff
I guess it showed :redface:

Anyway, thank you - all of you - for your input

I've just finished setting up the second unit plumbed from a bucket of RO
I'll know before bedtime if I have a faulty unit or there's a design flaw to deal with, or whatever
I hope I don't have to order a different brand - I hate paying for freight

gregzz4
01-28-2014, 12:14 AM
Just thinking maybe it is siphoning out to some degree so maybe put the flow valve on the outlet inside of canister to keep the under pressure just thinking and not being able to try right now
Not a bad idea Harry but if air is getting in through say the head then it won't help
But if it is still happening in a couple hours I'll give it a shot - can't hurt to try

1eyedjyde
01-28-2014, 12:40 AM
I do get some air in the canister when I do a change but it works it self out. Not sure how your sump is laid out but if you can move the inlet pump as far away from your drain line that would at least eliminate air entering through the pump.

duncangweller
01-28-2014, 08:39 PM
If I unscrew the canister a little the air disappears but sure enough it will come back pretty quick. I just live with it but maybe I'll email BRS and see if there is a reason why it happens.

AdamsB
01-29-2014, 06:48 AM
On mine (9 months old) there's a little red button on top that releases air.

gregzz4
01-29-2014, 01:28 PM
On mine (9 months old) there's a little red button on top that releases air.
Do you use that button only after a media change, or do you have to purge air between changes ?

mseepman
01-29-2014, 03:41 PM
Usually I have to use the red button after a media change and about a quarter of the time I have to use it again during regular use as some air builds up.

gregzz4
01-31-2014, 05:07 AM
Looks like I may have found/solved the issue

I ran the second reactor through a bucket of RO for a couple days
At first it had issues, but upon re-seating the canister it behaved properly

Tonight I took them both apart to compare stuff and there it is ...

The sealing gasket on top of the trouble cartridge was up and sideways a bit
I've put it back where it belongs and it's been good for a few hours now

I'll report back tomorrow with the final results

Fingers crossed ....

If it looks good I'll write a review as I'm pleased with everything else about them

gregzz4
02-02-2014, 08:11 PM
I don't want anyone to be mislead by my previous post as my diagnosis was incorrect. It has nothing to do with the cartridge sealing gasket

What 1eyedjyde said makes perfect sense
... Not sure how your sump is laid out but if you can move the inlet pump as far away from your drain line that would at least eliminate air entering through the pump.
but I ignored it as my pumps are in my last chamber and I've never had air going through either my return or my chiller

After days of still getting air in the reactors I think I've found the issue.
My pumps were quite close to the last baffle and it looks like they've been picking up micro bubbles. It was never an issue with the TLF150s as any air introduced can burp out on it's own, but the 'RO' style canisters trap any introduced air which then builds, and builds and ...
I had to use a flashlight with my sump room lights off to spot the bubbles

I've moved the pumps as far as possible away from the baffle and hope to report back that the issue is solved. I'll give it a couple days before I do so

I'm loving this reactor style for ease of use, and in my case the spread through the media is far superior to that of the TLF150s

gregzz4
02-06-2014, 03:34 AM
Another update ...

Looks like microbubbles in my sump have no bearing on this setup, but there may be a fix, and it may apply to all you BRS media reactor owners ... :smile:

It was mentioned earlier on in this thread about putting the flow valve on the 'outlet' side of the canister

It may turn out that Harry, and some other peeps Jeff and I spoke with in-store, were spot on ...
Something about keeping pressure in the whole system, tubing and fittings included, seems to solve the problem. But stay tuned to see if I've been successful over the next few days ....

I've installed the flow valve 'after' the canister and have over 3 hours of runtime now with no water level drop in my GFO canister :lol:
In the meantime, my Carbon canister has dropped approx 1/2-3/4"

If you go with this 'after the canister valve setup' you should be aware that the water coming out is quite a bit more violent than having the valve before the canister

Good luck to all of us :biggrin: