PDA

View Full Version : Speedwave warranty who to contact and am I screwed

riceboy
01-17-2014, 02:49 PM
Do you guys know what the warranty is and what does it cover? Have a speedwave dc 2640 pump go out I think it's the power supply as there is no light on the unit. (Turned of the pump to feed and it won't turn back on) I bought it June 4 2013 and still have reciept.

Aquattro
01-17-2014, 02:58 PM
I'd say that contacting the seller might be the best action.

lastlight
01-17-2014, 03:09 PM
check to make sure the impeller isn't seized. mine does that every couple months which is a real joy.

Aquattro
01-17-2014, 03:28 PM
I have one of these pumps still new, really not sure it's a good idea to hook it up :)

FishyFishy!
01-17-2014, 03:41 PM
If you want, I have a dry unit sitting around that we could do some tests with. I have two controllers and power supplies that we could test with just to find out what the issue is. Text me if you want to try that out tonight.

riceboy
01-17-2014, 04:31 PM
If you want, I have a dry unit sitting around that we could do some tests with. I have two controllers and power supplies that we could test with just to find out what the issue is. Text me if you want to try that out tonight.

thanks man i'll take you up on that gonna give concepts a call and see what they can do lol

riceboy
01-20-2014, 05:45 AM
Well just an update went to concepts on Friday and Dave and Matt were professional and helped me out ( no hassle questions, or tried to beat around the bush lol). Thanks guys!! Pump is working again and all is good!!! Turned out it was the power supply.

albert_dao
01-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Concept can contact Proline if they require additional assistance.

PSA - IF YOUR PUMP SEIZES, YOU ARE NOT SCREWED.

lastlight
01-20-2014, 08:14 PM
Concept can contact Proline if they require additional assistance.

PSA - IF YOUR PUMP SEIZES, YOU ARE NOT SCREWED.

no but if it seizes while i'm away i probably am lol.

glad it worked out for you victor.

gqlmao
01-20-2014, 08:19 PM
The more I read up on these pumps the more scared I am.... This wasn't the only thread about these pumps ceasing to work. I was informed by Dave at Concepts never to run these over 80 percent or I will risk the power supply shorting out and over heating. The last thing I want is a failed return pump.

denny_C
01-20-2014, 08:25 PM
The more I read up on these pumps the more scared I am.... This wasn't the only thread about these pumps ceasing to work. I was informed by Dave at Concepts never to run these over 80 percent or I will risk the power supply shorting out and over heating. The last thing I want is a failed return pump.

speedwaves have been discontinued so i think your safe little buddy;PPP

gqlmao
01-20-2014, 08:36 PM
They are??? Wow I just got one like 4 months ago... That was fast.

speedwaves have been discontinued so i think your safe little buddy;PPP

denny_C
01-20-2014, 08:49 PM
They are??? Wow I just got one like 4 months ago... That was fast.

warranty wont be an issue, they arnt going to continue on with them though.

cheers

denny

lastlight
01-20-2014, 08:53 PM
denny what will concepts carry as a replacement then?

I love the performance vs power draw of my pump and would replace it with something more reliable if it retained performance and low power draw.

denny_C
01-20-2014, 09:02 PM
denny what will concepts carry as a replacement then?

I love the performance vs power draw of my pump and would replace it with something more reliable if it retained performance and low power draw.

glad you asked :) we actually have the reef-octopus diablo dc water pumps coming to us hopefully right away , weve been eyeing these for some time and waiting for its release:)

denny_C
01-20-2014, 09:04 PM
the diablos are def going to be more reliable, thought about going into the jebao's head on but alot of mixed reviews so we may still in the future, the powerheads we already stock:)

cheers

denny

The Grizz
01-20-2014, 09:51 PM

That is the main reason I put fans on all my power supplies to keep them cool. They run around 50*c without cooling but mine are running at 28*c with the fans on them.

albert_dao
01-20-2014, 10:14 PM
Edit: asdfjka;skljafsdf

Nevermind, what am I so irate today...

Ron99
01-20-2014, 10:25 PM
glad you asked :) we actually have the reef-octopus diablo dc water pumps coming to us hopefully right away , weve been eyeing these for some time and waiting for its release:)

Speedwaves and Diablos are the same pumps. Well, ok, they use different coloured plastic :)

denny_C
01-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Speedwaves and Diablos are the same pumps. Well, ok, they use different coloured plastic :)

ummm ok i guess lol my friend youd be surprised whats the same pump lol

Doug
01-21-2014, 12:03 AM
Oh great...more fans..:lol:

Ron99
01-21-2014, 12:03 AM
ummm ok i guess lol my friend youd be surprised whats the same pump lol

http://www.coralvue.com/diablo-dc-10500-variable-speed-water-pump

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/speedwave-dc-pump-2640-gph.html

Looks the same to me :) Same controller. Same housing. Different colours.

reefwars
01-21-2014, 01:12 AM
http://www.coralvue.com/diablo-dc-10500-variable-speed-water-pump

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/speedwave-dc-pump-2640-gph.html

Looks the same to me :) Same controller. Same housing. Different colours.

it is the same thats what i was getting at lol...as far as the housing goes anyways........ power supplies to my understanding are a better quality which have been a huge pain so far for these dc pump...all dc pumps in fact.

at the end of the day its the same body and housing , for us with warranty the power supplies are causing us the most grief and the controllers are a close second, the pumps themselves we have had some good luck with:)

darkreef
01-21-2014, 01:17 AM
interesting ...

albert_dao
01-21-2014, 06:46 AM
it is the same thats what i was getting at lol...as far as the housing goes anyways........ power supplies to my understanding are a better quality which have been a huge pain so far for these dc pump...all dc pumps in fact.

at the end of the day its the same body and housing , for us with warranty the power supplies are causing us the most grief and the controllers are a close second, the pumps themselves we have had some good luck with:)

It's the same power supply. Ron's got the inside scoop on this stuff, so I hear...

input80
01-21-2014, 07:06 AM
So here's my dumb Q. Are we sure its a "crappy" power supply ? If it is/can be proven, why not just go back to the manufacturer(s) & get them to replace/recall them with better ones ? I just got a 1320 replaced under warranty & would have been willing to change out the power supply, for a trial, after reading these posts.
Albert, you're up ;) lol.

spit.fire
01-21-2014, 07:37 AM
So here's my dumb Q. Are we sure its a "crappy" power supply ? If it is/can be proven, why not just go back to the manufacturer(s) & get them to replace/recall them with better ones ? I just got a 1320 replaced under warranty & would have been willing to change out the power supply, for a trial, after reading these posts.
Albert, you're up ;) lol.

Yes, it is a crappy power supply

And as far as a recall.... Good luck

input80
01-21-2014, 07:51 AM
Does anyone have any ideas on an appropriate replacement or even #'s that I should be looking for ?

reefwars
01-21-2014, 01:05 PM
I replaced mine with another power supply then my controller died

A electrition friend of mine built his own and rewired the controller then his pump siezed

All these pumps have a life line of about 6 mths maybe a year lol

Still though new gens seem to do better then the first did wave line was no exceptiom and their new models seem to do good more time will tell though

riceboy
01-21-2014, 01:38 PM
reading more and more of this i kinda wish i kept my ehiem 1262 lol

ronau
01-21-2014, 01:42 PM
I plan on using a Jebao DC-12000 as my return pump. It will probably only be run on the second setting to supply my required flow and I ordered a spare.

FishyFishy!
01-21-2014, 01:55 PM

Yeah for real. I just bought 2 of these used haha. Wondering if I'm going to have issues with them.

reefwars
01-21-2014, 03:09 PM

i actually love the pumps , i think were headed in the right direction with this idea , personally i would have paid more for a bit better components.

the power supply i bought i just matched up the numbers on the back , im no electrical genius so i didnt want to go different from what the original power supply had written on it , i took the original with me for comparison.

in all honesty i would buy one again but would pay more for a bit better quality.

ive never taken the pump apart its self as its sealed but i know a few have seized up and i hear this isnt an issue anymore with the dc pumps out right now,but its just what i hear from those who have them.

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/09/09/reef-octopus-diablo-dc-pump/

Ron99
01-21-2014, 04:30 PM
From my understanding the power supplies are probably the cause of 95% of the failures. I've seen a couple taken apart and they are pretty cheap. That's why RLSS is now sourcing Meanwell power supplies for their version of this pump. I may use a Speedwave on my 120 build but if so I will swap out the power supply for a locally sourced and better quality one.

All this being said, there have been countless thousands of these pumps sold under the three different brands (actually 4 if you count Jebao themselves) and while the failure rate is higher than say for Tunze or eheim or other more established brands, most of the pumps sold are running happily and without problems.

denny_C
01-21-2014, 04:39 PM
From my understanding the power supplies are probably the cause of 95% of the failures. I've seen a couple taken apart and they are pretty cheap. That's why RLSS is now sourcing Meanwell power supplies for their version of this pump. I may use a Speedwave on my 120 build but if so I will swap out the power supply for a locally sourced and better quality one.

All this being said, there have been countless thousands of these pumps sold under the three different brands (actually 4 if you count Jebao themselves) and while the failure rate is higher than say for Tunze or eheim or other more established brands, most of the pumps sold are running happily and without problems.

the new powersupply i got def ran cooler and had no more issues with the power supply failing afterwards.

the controller fried shortly afterwards though.

i think there are things you can do to prolong the life of these pumps , one of which is the better quality power supply , controllers have been modded by lots of people as well and documented as well as using them at a lower percentage seems to help. people like greg are finding fans to work.

at the end of it all though i think youll find these style pumps getting better and cost getting a little higher as well with the new gens to come out.

theres no doubt about it these two things are the biggest issues with the ones in the past though.