PDA

View Full Version : Baffles anymore?

mark
01-12-2014, 08:38 PM
Other day was putting the skimmer back and always been little tight so was thinking really don't need that bubble trap on the drains anymore since converting to Herbie. Now just read spit.fires build and noted his/wardogs comment about baffles.

Figure I could do a bubble trap about the size of a 2 litre pop bottle for skimmer and pull all the baffles or just keep the last "over" baffle. Either way would be gaining room in my skimmer/return section. Might be loosing some gas exchange but another plus for running a Herbie.

mrhasan
01-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Other day was putting the skimmer back and always been little tight so was thinking really don't need that bubble trap on the drains anymore since converting to Herbie. Now just read spit.fires build and noted his/wardogs comment about baffles.

Figure I could do a bubble trap about the size of a 2 litre pop bottle for skimmer and pull all the baffles or just keep the last "over" baffle. Either way would be gaining room in my skimmer/return section. Might be loosing some gas exchange but another plus for running a Herbie.

My sump just have a 3 baffle bubble trap before the return and that's all. Even bubble traps wouldn't be needed with a good skimmer that doesn't throw too much micros. I do prefer atleast one baffle/bubble trap in the sump so that the ATO can more quickly understand the change in water level.

christyf5
01-12-2014, 09:36 PM
I haven't had baffles in my sumps for years. I run the overflow into a filter sock and the skimmer effluent is at the opposite end of the sump from the return so bubbles don't return to the tank.

Now if I could just do something about the fish stirring the detritus in the tank the water would actually be half decently clear :wink: