PDA

View Full Version : Time in..

Aquattro
01-01-2014, 09:23 PM
I made a comment where I stated that most reefers don't last 5 years. Let's have a poll to check :)

Dez
01-01-2014, 09:30 PM
I made a comment where I stated that most reefers don't last 5 years. Let's have a poll to check :)

Time in being time that a reef tank is set up without crashing or time in the hobby?

Dearth
01-01-2014, 09:44 PM
I won't say I'm in it for the long haul things happen and desicions have to be made but as of right now I am planning to be in it for a good while.

Skimmer Juice
01-01-2014, 09:44 PM
started in 2003 :biggrin: had at least 2 tanks running at all times, dont plan on stopping ever. I have had my gold/grey dogface for a decade now.

Aquattro
01-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Time in being time that a reef tank is set up without crashing or time in the hobby?

Lets say time in total. I noticed while browsing the FTS thread from a few years ago that so many of the people are gone.

Coralgurl
01-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Just coming up on 3 years. It was an accidental hobby for me....can't say what the future holds, but no plans to quit anytime soon.

brotherd
01-01-2014, 10:08 PM
9 months.The first 6 of which were very trying on my patience lol.No plans to stop now.

WarDog
01-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Have had freshwater for 30 years, but this is my first go at salt. I love fish-keeping so I can see myself doing this forever. If my system fails I will just try again!

Borderjumper
01-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Still in.. But at a much easier level. Sold off my big tank and not growing frags any more. I still have my RSM, 2 deep sea nanos and a small nano. I'm too busy ( insert old and lazy ) to spend as much time with my tanks as I used to.

Proteus
01-01-2014, 10:15 PM
Three years now. And im hoping to figure it all out soon and keep on keepin on

spit.fire
01-01-2014, 10:27 PM
ive had fresh for over 10 and salt for 4 now, didnt really get into sps until last year tho

mrhasan
01-01-2014, 10:40 PM
1.5 years (only :redface:). And I may quite if T5s/MH are no longer manufactured (heard that Europe will stop producing T5s by 2015; just heard).

chef
01-01-2014, 10:52 PM
It'll be 3 years in february. Many challenges. The more I know, the less I realize I know. Guess I'm a sucker for punishment. Still love it tho and don't expect to quit any time soon.

BlueTang<3
01-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Started in 2006 had many tanks learned a lot of lessons and hope to continue to learn. Went for a few months without a tank in this house it was running in the other house while we moved and as frustrating as they are at times we really missed having the fish.

As for reefers disappearing, I think a lot of it is no longer on the website I j ow of a lot of tanks still running and the people left canreef, mostly because of political reasons.

jorjef
01-01-2014, 11:20 PM
About four years. For the most part keeping it simple has kept me in it. That and genetic gene disorder called obsessivecollectoritis

Tom R
01-01-2014, 11:21 PM
I have 2 Display Tanks in my system.

The 180G was set up in January of 2003 when I moved into my current house.

The 125G was set first set up in 1995 in my old home. When I moved into my current home in January 2003 I moved its contents of the 125G to the new 180G just set up in my new home. In March of 2003 I completed the move of my old 125G by adding it to the display in my new home.

One could easily say that I am in for the long haul.

Tom R

The Grizz
01-01-2014, 11:55 PM
4 yrs in October & this year is going to be a GREAT yr for my new system.

H2o2
01-02-2014, 12:05 AM
I got a sea turtle off Ancient Mariner on Fraser st. in Vancouver in 1973 that I raised until it started chasing my 140$ Flame Angel so I gave it to Vancouver aquarium and they raised it to breeding age then sent it to Japan for breeding. It was a Hawksbill and time flys

mark
01-02-2014, 12:36 AM
since 2002. Started FOWLR, >corals, >crash, >FOWLR but starting back towards a reef, just not sure what type (SPS vs LPS/soft)

brotherd
01-02-2014, 01:24 AM
I got a sea turtle off Ancient Mariner on Fraser st. in Vancouver in 1973 that I raised until it started chasing my 140$ Flame Angel so I gave it to Vancouver aquarium and they raised it to breeding age then sent it to Japan for breeding. It was a Hawksbill and time flys

Wow!!!!

RSM
01-02-2014, 01:56 AM
Fresh water 20+ years and salt 5+ and hopefully longer :)

MitchM
01-02-2014, 02:20 AM
1st freshwater aquarium was glass with stainless steel frame and I bought my fish from Woolco (now Walmart) in Calgary. 40 years ago.
1st saltwater aquarium was in 1983 bought from Brighouse Pets in Richmond, B.C. I had a couple of clowns and an anemone. They sold me a bottle of liquid brown goo to "feed invertebrates" , the anemone basically. Skimmer with an air stone and Instant Ocean salt. Incandescent bulb.
I've had some kind of aquarium or lived on the ocean ever since.

Dearth
01-02-2014, 02:27 AM
If you want to include my fresh water days been keeping tanks since I was 16 1986 had a goldfish tank for 3 yrs finally killed it(learned hard way dish soap and fish do not mix)

got back into it 1997 ran 33 gallon then 2 yrs later a 10 gallon by 2000 had 46 gallon, 33 and 10 going finally quit in 2010

July 2012 entered the empty wallet phase been looking for money ever since

Aquattro
01-02-2014, 02:30 AM
1st freshwater aquarium was glass with stainless steel frame

Sounds like my first tank, got it in '69 or '70. Moved into salt around 1997. Gawd, I'm old!!

Doug
01-02-2014, 02:38 AM
Sounds like my first tank, got it in '69 or '70. Moved into salt around 1997. Gawd, I'm old!!

Ha. You're just a pup.

Myka
01-02-2014, 04:15 AM
I remember reading somewhere awhile back that the average reef enthusiast has been in the hobby for 18 months. Of course, when polling an online community you don't get a real accurate representation. I think you will find a good many on here over 5 years. :)

Aquattro
01-02-2014, 04:17 AM
I remember reading somewhere awhile back that the average reef enthusiast has been in the hobby for 18 months. Of course, when polling an online community you don't get a real accurate representation. I think you will find a good many on here over 5 years. :)

Ya, it seems we have a lot of 5+ members. But from what I've seen, I see a lot more leaving in under 2. Maybe they just stop coming here (not that I think anyone would not want to come here!!)

Madreefer
01-02-2014, 05:59 AM
Had to ask my wife. Time flys spring of 1999 for me.

whatcaneyedo
01-02-2014, 01:07 PM
I just hit 10 years as of this month.

Myka
01-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Ya, it seems we have a lot of 5+ members. But from what I've seen, I see a lot more leaving in under 2. Maybe they just stop coming here (not that I think anyone would not want to come here!!)

Brad, I think that might be because people have a reasonable handle on their tank by year two, and don't need daily advice such as, "What are these bugs on my glass?!?!" I've found most reefers are quite happy keeping a basic reef with a bunch of softies and some fish.

Leah
01-02-2014, 01:16 PM
1 break-up, daughters graduation + 1 year, too many tanks to count, a couple of up grades, a few new pets, a few less pets, many grey hairs...to sum it up 5 + years for me and no intentions of giving up now.

DAVE
01-02-2014, 01:58 PM

+1, the pole will be very bias. The average reefer is not on a forum. Typically its just the hardcore people and they will be in the hobby for a longer period of time (typically)

Reef Pilot
01-02-2014, 02:09 PM
I think if you can get past 2 years, you will be in the hobby for a while. Lots of people have big ideas at the beginning, and then get frustrated and lose patience when they run into problems. And they don't like the mundane tasks like cleaning and changing water...

Then there are those that have climbed every mountain, and just got bored. Those are the 5+ years people. Don't know what the solution to that is.

But the true long timers, I think, just go slow, minimize/automate their maintenance, and don't set any big goals. They just enjoy the beauty and serenity that the reef tank adds to their home.

I am still in between. I still have some mountains to climb, and some goals. But some day hope to reach the serenity plateau.

mike31154
01-02-2014, 02:36 PM
This week will be the 7th anniversary of my system. I recall my daughter & I driving to Richmond to pick up the used rig. Borrowed my Mom & Dad's station wagon 'cause there's no way a 77 emptied of LR with all the assorted parts were going to fit into the Saturn I owned at the time! A hectic day or two, drive to OK Falls to pick up station wagon, on to the coast & back to Vernon over snow covered highway passes same day, then bring station wagon back to OK Falls...

I was always fascinated by aquariums but never owned a tank until I found out about salt water a few years before jumping in. Once I knew I'll never move again, it was an easy choice. My previous career had me moving every 4 years, so tear down/setup every few years would have been too much of a hassle.

Dearth
01-02-2014, 03:36 PM

I love using the forums it is a great way to keep in contact with people, learn new ideas and new tech, learn why some things work and not others, keep abreast of news related to the hobby and even though get xx amount of questions on basic IDs daily/weekly I enjoy it because people new to the hobby are worried and I rarely tire of answering those simple questions.

Also many people are worried about getting yelled at or ridiculed or may have limited knowledge of using forums and their search engines(Case in Point...Reef Central)

For every person that posts on an average forum there is an average 5-7 people who lurk which when you think about it is a huge number of people who browse but rarely if ever post.(BTW this stat comes from online gaming community which is a pretty standard representation of most of the popular online forums)

As to the hobby if you get past the 18month to 2 yr mark I think it is a fairly safe bet that the person will be in the hobby for many yrs to come. Many people as it was stated earlier get frustrated by prices, crashes, basic husbandry and then get out of the hobby mostly because it I believe is a lack of proper knowledge and asking the wrong people for advice.

Dez
01-02-2014, 03:48 PM
I believe it's been just over 10 yrs of reefing for me.

kien
01-02-2014, 04:10 PM
ya, unfortunately we're not going to see the results from all of those people who in fact, have left.

I've been kicking this can since 2001.. yikes.

Delphinus
01-02-2014, 04:43 PM
I think my first SW tank was online in 1998, so 16 years now. :eek:

lastlight
01-02-2014, 05:21 PM
since 2006 for me with many breaks. i don't have the brainpower to calculate my time spent actually being salty.

ToshAlexandra
01-02-2014, 06:10 PM

OMG lol this is the greatest story I've ever heard Harry!!!! How big was it when you got it?

StirCrazy
01-02-2014, 07:34 PM
moved to salt water in 2000, took that tank down in 2009, looking at starting up another (but smaller) tank now.

Steve

Werbo
01-03-2014, 12:55 AM
moved to salt water in 2000, took that tank down in 2009, looking at starting up another (but smaller) tank now.

Steve

How long do you have to look? Been too long Steve.

Skimmerking
01-03-2014, 02:45 AM
lets see first board was Canreef in 2001 Mar and still going strong. lots of salt and skimmers here

BlueTang<3
01-03-2014, 03:08 AM
Well a few of you have been keeping fish since well before my time about 15 years before lol. As for the people in 2001 I was in gr 6, never had fish growing up always my parents think I am crazy for keeping fish now. At our last house our neighbours thought we sold drugs and no one understood. Where we live now the neighbour boy has a interest in fish and we have been helping him out, usually pump my water change water to his house for his clown fish. I think it's a good hobby to be in great people, teaches you a hard lesson the value and fragility of life.

StirCrazy
01-03-2014, 03:16 AM
How long do you have to look? Been too long Steve.

well to tell the truth I have been to busy with other stuff, now life is slowing down a bit, and I have come to terms with not being able to do a big tank.

I have to do a vibration text downstairs, we live a little to close to the tracks here and I wold hate to have a tank fail on me because of my own stupidity, so I want to see how much they will make the water move in the basement before I start into it again. then it will be a long process as I am building my own reactors and skimmer and such, I still have about 1500 bucks of raw acrylic tube in the garage that I need to use up, and 4 reactors and a monster skimmer than just need me to finish them up.

Doug, how close to the tracks are you? and does it move your water?

Steve

StirCrazy
01-03-2014, 03:18 AM
lol. As for the people in 2001 I was in gr 6, never had fish growing up always my parents think I am crazy for keeping fish now.

my dad got me into it as we used to have a 900 gal Oscar tank when I was 10, have had fresh water at one time or another all through my life.

Steve

BlueTang<3
01-03-2014, 03:35 AM
well to tell the truth I have been to busy with other stuff, now life is slowing down a bit, and I have come to terms with not being able to do a big tank.

I have to do a vibration text downstairs, we live a little to close to the tracks here and I wold hate to have a tank fail on me because of my own stupidity, so I want to see how much they will make the water move in the basement before I start into it again. then it will be a long process as I am building my own reactors and skimmer and such, I still have about 1500 bucks of raw acrylic tube in the garage that I need to use up, and 4 reactors and a monster skimmer than just need me to finish them up.

Steve

Your just going to either tell the train the move or slow it down, nothing a little speed bump won't take care of :wink:

Just curious as I have seen you post that before how close to the tracks are you?

H2o2
01-03-2014, 03:36 AM
OMG lol this is the greatest story I've ever heard Harry!!!! How big was it when you got it?

It was maybe 3" as for age not sure but it was about the size that we let go in Ixtapa

StirCrazy
01-03-2014, 04:12 AM
Just curious as I have seen you post that before how close to the tracks are you?

well there is the tracks, then about 100 feet to the road, then the house behind me and mine, so 700ish feet I would guess.

Steve

Doug
01-03-2014, 05:04 AM

Closer than you. Sometimes in the summer, it like someone is kicking your bed to wake you. :lol:. Stuff here and there vibrates. My granddaughters laugh at the earthquake....BUT...it never bothers my tank. I assume the larger one in the living room will be ok to.

Doug
01-03-2014, 05:05 AM
And as for the original question, guess I have been at this longer than many on the board have been alive.....:lol:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-03-2014, 05:53 AM
And as for the original question, guess I have been at this longer than many on the board have been alive.....:lol:

I know what you mean Doug.

My own first fw tank I bought in 1976. My first sw tank was in 1981. My first seahorse tank was in 1982.

Doug
01-03-2014, 06:51 AM
I know what you mean Doug.

My own first fw tank I bought in 1976. My first sw tank was in 1981. My first seahorse tank was in 1982.

:mrgreen:

michika
01-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Its been 10+ years for me in SW and now I feel old.

carnut
01-03-2014, 09:26 PM
2006 for me,2007 for the wife. many upgrades with maybe one more to come.

The years seem short compared to the money spent. We bought that cute little fish that won't stop growing, darn newbie choices!!!!!!

untamed
01-04-2014, 01:27 AM
Hmm... I have run only two tanks...both reef setups. 20 or so years in all. I have some coral that is that old.

asylumdown
01-08-2014, 12:46 AM
Holy jumping, I just did the math. I started collecting equipment for my first 90 gallon reef in late 2008, but had two 180 and 20 gallon planted freshwater for 2 years before that.

I keep thinking I'm still new at this.

Spyd
01-22-2014, 05:52 PM
Hmm... I have run only two tanks...both reef setups. 20 or so years in all. I have some coral that is that old.

That is very cool! Any pics of the corals?

I have been in the hobby for 3 yrs now. Started with my 75G and jumped to a 180G after 2 yrs. I think that will be my only upgrade for a long, long time.

Baldy
01-23-2014, 01:39 AM
wow i didnt realize so many people upgraded that much! Ive had my 75g set up for just about 4 years now. the only upgrades i made were to it. canister to sump, skimmer, PC to LED lights. I love the hobby and it also does a bit to satisfy the tech geek in me too.

molotov
01-23-2014, 02:15 AM
3 years. I lost interest for a bit and did the minimum for upkeep. My interest is back and I have plans to bring in some new fish next week.

sumpfinfishe
01-26-2014, 06:11 PM
17 years and counting minus a couple for sanity breaks:biggrin:

soapy
01-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Ive been doing salt for 5 years now, but had freshwater tanks a few times in the past. In fact my sump is made out of an old 55 gallon long that was my freshwater tank previously. I didn't realize my reef was 5 years old until I opened my tank journal recently and saw the dates.

Slick Fork
01-26-2014, 11:46 PM
Since 2006, usually have had either something running or something in the works.

MMAX
01-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Just coming up to 6 years...started Feb 2008.

Madreefer
01-31-2014, 03:58 AM
Ever wonder about those super enthusiastic people who start out and figure they need every possible piece of equipment and gadget for their new tank? Thinking that's what will give them a nice tank and disregard the advice given to them. What is it usual a year or two and it's all for sale? The sad part is all the fish and coral that perish during that time.

paddyob
01-31-2014, 02:17 PM
About 7 years. And the battling Dino's. still.

I almost have it. But it almost beat me 6 months ago. It was so bad... I almost quit.

Reef Pilot
01-31-2014, 02:24 PM
Ever wonder about those super enthusiastic people who start out and figure they need every possible piece of equipment and gadget for their new tank? Thinking that's what will give them a nice tank and disregard the advice given to them. What is it usual a year or two and it's all for sale? The sad part is all the fish and coral that perish during that time.
+1. And going big to start off is not necessarily a good idea either. Remember Hustler, a couple years ago?

Treebeard
01-31-2014, 02:38 PM
Thanks for reminding me how much cash I have poured down the drain since I started this madness. Should have taken up coke instead, probably would have been cheaper!:biggrin:

StirCrazy
01-31-2014, 02:49 PM
And going big to start off is not necessarily a good idea either.

nothing wrong with that as long as you are going to stick with it. the only difference between big and small is the amount of money.

Steve

Reef Pilot
01-31-2014, 03:03 PM
nothing wrong with that as long as you are going to stick with it. the only difference between big and small is the amount of money.

Steve
Yeah, and cost of mistakes are much bigger, too, incl all the livestock that perish due to inexperience and bad decisions. Much easier to manage and correct a smaller system than try to fix a 100+g system that is not working out as planned.

I think the major reason people get out of the hobby is they underestimated the effort and attention needed to learn about and properly care for a good looking and successful reef system.

mrhasan
01-31-2014, 03:22 PM
Yeah, and cost of mistakes are much bigger, too, incl all the livestock that perish due to inexperience and bad decisions. Much easier to manage and correct a smaller system than try to fix a 100+g system that is not working out as planned.

I think the major reason people get out of the hobby is they underestimated the effort and attention needed to learn about and properly care for a good looking and successful reef system.

I thought many people say or flame people who start with sizes they can manage (usually on the smaller side) with a very common saying: The bigger, the better ;)

Reef Pilot
01-31-2014, 03:35 PM
I thought many people say or flame people who start with sizes they can manage (usually on the smaller side) with a very common saying: The bigger, the better ;)
Yes, and sometimes that is true, too. A small system, <30g can also be hard to manage with rapidly fluctuating parameters, esp if you don't have a sump or skimmer.

I think a good starting size for a 1st tank is around 50g with a sump and skimmer. That still allows for fast reaction to mistakes (water changes, etc), and provides all the necessary elements for learning. Plus you have some room for fish and corals. And if you do decide to get out of the hobby, your lost investment is not as bad.

But if you do get past all the learning and inevitable frustrations after the 1st year or so, then you will be in a much better position to properly plan and move to a larger system.

mrhasan
01-31-2014, 03:41 PM
Yes, and sometimes that is true, too. A small system, <30g can also be hard to manage with rapidly fluctuating parameters, esp if you don't have a sump or skimmer.

I think a good starting size for a 1st tank is around 50g with a sump and skimmer. That still allows for fast reaction to mistakes (water changes, etc), and provides all the necessary elements for learning. Plus you have some room for fish and corals. And if you do decide to get out of the hobby, your lost investment is not as bad.

But if you do get past all the learning and inevitable frustrations after the 1st year or so, then you will be in a much better position to properly plan and move to a larger system.

True that. I always say that a manageable tank is always better than a bigger tank (but who cares, I am a noob after all and my words are of no value :) ). When I moved from 20gallon to 70gallon, it was bit of a shock, esp with burning pumps (hence gave up on 2nd hand things), buying new salt bucket every 2-3 months (and I have been using non-IO salts), dosing a LOT, not to mention it takes a lot of corals/fishes/time to fill up a big tank :razz: One just have to know what it takes to have a saltwater tank; surprise is the biggest enemy in this hobby :) Having money is not the solution like many thinks; its all about dedication :)

Coralgurl
01-31-2014, 03:51 PM
One thing that has kept me in rather than giving up is the amount of money invested is too much just to walk away. The first year I think is the most challenging and if anyone was like me when I started - zero research. Wasn't until AFTER we had set ours up and things weren't going well did we start researching (5 months after set up). I also think people don't realize how much this hobby actually costs to set up and maintain especially when most newbies as some point make mistakes that are costly to fix or suffer substantial livestock losses. Easy to give up and throw in the towel. Thank goodness for forums (esp Canreef) with good people always willing to offer advice and help!!

Interestingly though, the poll shows a lot of long timers here, not a lot of newbs....

Reef Pilot
01-31-2014, 04:14 PM
Interestingly though, the poll shows a lot of long timers here, not a lot of newbs....
Yes, poll shows only 9 people with less than 1 year in the hobby. You would think the 1st year would be higher. Maybe it is because some newbies still haven't discovered Canreef?

It would have been interesting, too, to see the yearly poll increments extend beyond 5 years. I think at some point, people do get bored (or life gets too busy) and get out of the hobby, at least for a while. Unfortunately, the poll doesn't capture all the people that drop out, since they are also not likely to be on Canreef and participate in this poll.

If I was an LFS, I would pay attention to this as well, with what advice and support I provide to newbies. I think the temptation to make sales can backfire in the long run, if the newbie drops out of the hobby.