PDA

View Full Version : Vertex omega 130

Chase31
12-14-2013, 06:12 PM
So I got this skimmer a couple of days ago and got called out to work before I was able to get through the 24 hour break in. now my girlfriend says it's still overflowing. from what she's sent me and what Iv read there are bubbles below the bubble plate, this means there is something in my water? My first step when I go home is to replace my carbon. Am I on the right trac or should I be looking in a different direction?

Rice Reef
12-14-2013, 06:35 PM
So I got this skimmer a couple of days ago and got called out to work before I was able to get through the 24 hour break in. now my girlfriend says it's still overflowing. from what she's sent me and what Iv read there are bubbles below the bubble plate, this means there is something in my water? My first step when I go home is to replace my carbon. Am I on the right trac or should I be looking in a different direction?

Breaking in a skimmer takes more than 24 hrs. If new it can take couple weeks. Best to dial it back and gradually adjust until you find the sweet spot. You may also want to check the water height level... I think it recmds 7-9 inches...

Chase31
12-14-2013, 06:41 PM
The hight is about 7 inches or 7 1/2. The standpipe is open all the way and it's still overflowing is the problem I'm having

Rice Reef
12-14-2013, 06:43 PM
The hight is about 7 inches or 7 1/2. The standpipe is open all the way and it's still overflowing is the problem I'm having

You may also want to try raising it to see if it makes a difference.. Each system is different.

Chase31
12-14-2013, 07:35 PM
You may also want to try raising it to see if it makes a difference.. Each system is different.

If I raise it much more the outlet will be out of the water, might make a lot of noise that way and I can't see it having to be out of the water like that. Is my bubbles below the bubble plate a hunch or am I totally wrong with that. If you look at the pic you can see the bubbles all the way down and below the plate.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/15/7ama3ezy.jpg

Rice Reef
12-14-2013, 07:38 PM
If I raise it much more the outlet will be out of the water, might make a lot of noise that way and I can't see it having to be out of the water like that. Is my bubbles below the bubble plate a hunch or am I totally wrong with that. If you look at the pic you can see the bubbles all the way down and below the plate.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/15/7ama3ezy.jpg

I meant raising the water level, not raising the skimmer higher... That will reduce the water level.

Chase31
12-14-2013, 07:42 PM
If I raise the water level will that not just make it just a overflow worse?

mrhasan
12-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Put it in freshwater with vinegar in it and let it run for couple of days and then put it back into water...helps with the breaking in :)

Chase31
12-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Put it in freshwater with vinegar in it and let it run for couple of days and then put it back into water...helps with the breaking in :)

I was told to try that, I am away for work so won't be home to wed, at that point it will have been in the sump overflowing for 7 days. And I'm only home for a few hours so should I put it in vinegar and let it run for 4 days?

spit.fire
12-14-2013, 07:48 PM
I wiped mine down with vinigar and water, worked perfect afterwards, no break in

Chase31
12-14-2013, 07:58 PM
I wiped mine down with vinigar and water, worked perfect afterwards, no break in

What do you mean whiped down?

mrhasan
12-14-2013, 08:00 PM
I was told to try that, I am away for work so won't be home to wed, at that point it will have been in the sump overflowing for 7 days. And I'm only home for a few hours so should I put it in vinegar and let it run for 4 days?

Sure no harm in that (given that your tank wont suffer from less oxygen level due to no skimmer).

Craigdillman
12-14-2013, 08:42 PM
This is totally normal man my skimmer took like a full 7 days of overflowing before it settled in

Chase31
12-15-2013, 04:25 AM
This is totally normal man my skimmer took like a full 7 days of overflowing before it settled in

even with it fully open?

Craigdillman
12-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Has it calmed down at all? Or still going crazy

Chase31
12-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Has it calmed down at all? Or still going crazy

Just texted the GF for an update, and she says its still overflowing, been 5 days now. trying to get more information from her

Chase31
12-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Here is the latest picture. I think it will fill up very fast judging do you guys think this is actually skimming now or just overflowing mostly now?http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/16/ude2a5a2.jpg

Chase31
12-16-2013, 04:43 AM
Just overflowing and filled up in a couple of hours so it looks like it's getting better but still no dice

Chase31
12-24-2013, 03:14 AM
So finally got a chance to get home and change my carbon and 10 mins later it was low in the chamber. As I suspected the bubbles were 2-3 inches above the bubble plate. As before they were below. Well I started adjusting it and came back after 20 mins and it was below the plate and overflowing. So should I change my carbon again? I have a dual brs reactor and filled them both up about half way, carbons only been in for an hour or so at this point. Also like to add that I dosed my prodibio today before the carbon

Ryanerickson
12-24-2013, 03:21 AM
One of the bikes in prodibio make skimmers go crazy don't remember what one

Ryanerickson
12-24-2013, 03:22 AM
Sorry viles

Chase31
12-24-2013, 03:23 AM
I thinks that's reef booster should have mentioned reef booster wasn't dosed

BlueTang<3
12-24-2013, 04:08 AM
So finally got a chance to get home and change my carbon and 10 mins later it was low in the chamber. As I suspected the bubbles were 2-3 inches above the bubble plate. As before they were below. Well I started adjusting it and came back after 20 mins and it was below the plate and overflowing. So should I change my carbon again? I have a dual brs reactor and filled them both up about half way, carbons only been in for an hour or so at this point. Also like to add that I dosed my prodibio today before the carbon

The skimmer would have lost the head because of you in the tank, oils from you skin will cause the skimmer to drop down.

BlueTang<3
12-24-2013, 04:12 AM
Have you tried to pull the hose off the bottom of the silencer, its not uncommon for shipping stryfoam to partially block the air intake causing to bubble over. Are you using ro water? I was told with my first bubble king that I needed ro water as so as I switched it stoped bubbling over.

Chase31
12-24-2013, 04:19 AM
Always used ro/DI on my tanks like I said the bubbles were above the plate and it was creating head, I will check the air intake but I did a pretty thuro check when I got it, didn't put my hands in the water when it started to skim as normal. Sorta baffled as it was skimming like I wanted it to for maybe 15-20 mins then started overflowing again. Still overflowing

Chase31
12-24-2013, 04:21 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/24/8a9aru5e.jpg

This is what I mean by bubbles below the bubble plate

Chase31
12-24-2013, 05:07 AM
Also have lots of bubbles out of the riser T

BlueTang<3
12-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Silly question but looking closer at the pics I see you have a red hose off the second num on the pump volute, did it come with that or did u add that where is it going to ?

All my skimmers from vertex/ royal exclusive have had a cap on that or it's been opened under the water.

Chase31
12-25-2013, 04:34 AM
The red hose is for ozone and came with it, the top has a black cap on it. It has gotten better and skimmed for a bit then lost it's head when cleaned some algea with a toothbrush.

reefwars
12-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Anytime you put your hand in the water the head will collapse , most good skimmers will do this

Try this

Set your omega water level really low walk away for two days this will dirty up the neck then slowly raise it the omegas are touchy so msll adjustments and allow it to settle for 15 mins before touching it sgain remember don't put your hand in the water

Feeding and cleaning are they same;)

Proteus
12-25-2013, 03:09 PM
A frien. Of mine has a csc skimmer and it was doing the same. I told him to pull his filter floss and it stopped almost immediately

Also are u putting any prime or like chemicals in water

Chase31
12-25-2013, 04:19 PM
I only use ro water. Never any chemicals in my tank. It seams to be skimming this morning. Not really thick but it is taking lots of green out will take a pic after breakfast

Chase31
12-27-2013, 09:01 PM
For anyone wondering the carbon did the truck, just need to make sure the bubbles are above the bubble plates

Chase31
12-29-2013, 04:32 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/30/sy5aseqe.jpg

Does this look like it's skimming to wet to anyone or does it look good? That's about a day? To much?

Proteus
12-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Being that u only had it 2 weeks it'l. Take a while to properly break in.
Yes it is skimming wet you can open it a little but it may not start properly skimming for a couple more weeks

Is the venturi closed?

Mine is skimming about the same atm

Chase31
12-29-2013, 05:08 PM
The Venturi as in on the pump? Yes it's fully closed. Not sure how to adjust that. The standpipe is about half? I believe. I have had it for 3 weeks now or so.

The Guy
12-30-2013, 03:14 AM
I just got a new Vertex Omega 150 after reading all this I'm putting it in ro/ vinegar mix and let it run for a few days in a tote tub before I put it in the sump, hopefully that will help the break in process. :lol:

Chase31
12-30-2013, 03:20 AM
I would deffs do that. My biggest issue was that I needed to run some carbon

Blink
01-02-2014, 04:12 AM
I'm having the same issue on my wife's tank with the same skimmer.
It's been overflowing like mad for two weeks since we got it and raising or lowering the water level hasn't helped.

It's at about 7.5" right now and there are bubbles under the plate, I guess I'll try some new carbon tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Chase31
01-02-2014, 04:46 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/24/8a9aru5e.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/30/sy5aseqe.jpg

The first photo is the bubbles below that was causing it to overflow. Make sure you run carbon and give it a day or so, depending it may fix the issue within hours like mine. The second picture with the bubbles above the upper plate is how it should be to create head. Make sure the venturi is screwed all the way in. And the stand pipe is fully open, fixed my issue! GL

Blink
01-02-2014, 06:09 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/24pggua.jpg

That's at 7.5", standpipe fully open and after two weeks of running with the venturi fully in. I've got the venturi out right now and it seems to have SLIGHTLY reduced the problem but obviously we still have an issue.

Chase31
01-02-2014, 02:57 PM
I'd try the carbon forsure

Chase31
01-05-2014, 06:48 PM
So now that this is finally working good, what's the best way to tune it? How do I know if I'm getting dry skimmate or none at all should it have to walk up the neck a lot? What's the best way to tune it?

Proteus
01-05-2014, 11:21 PM
So now that this is finally working good, what's the best way to tune it? How do I know if I'm getting dry skimmate or none at all should it have to walk up the neck a lot? What's the best way to tune it?

Once its where ypu like it you can thenadjustthe venturi first turning it out one full turn. But leave it.for a day or two

Chase31
01-05-2014, 11:39 PM
What does the Venturi adjustment do?

BlueTang<3
01-05-2014, 11:42 PM
Does this model had the black dots on the Venturi? If so it should be screwed in all the way then one complete turn out the factory calibrates the pump to this setting for best performance. If the skimmer just started to work normal I wouldn't touch it let it work for a few weeks and see I usually have the outlet open almost full on my skimmer. Should be a line on the standpipe with where the recommend the bubble level be kept at.

Chase31
01-05-2014, 11:56 PM
I don't see any lines on the Venturi or the stand pipe what exactly does the Venturi do? Does it allow more air in or less air in? And what are the advantages, it seams as it's making head but the head doesn't really color up. It stays white.

Proteus
01-06-2014, 12:26 AM
No Wes. No markings at all. Funny though as I had a nac 7 prior and liked that feature.
The manual states 1 full turn after break in for fine tuning. (on venturi)

Yes the venturi will/shouldincrease or decrease air

When I set this skimmer up and priors. I put the stand pipe in the middle and find a height it works good at. Then I can adjust up or down for best skimmate.
Im notsaying this is correct. Just how I do it

Chase31
01-06-2014, 12:54 AM
I turned it about 1 full turn out now, so this lets less air in? I'm trying with the standpipe fully open then slowly close it till u like it