PDA

View Full Version : New setup skimmer overflowing week 6

zv3n
12-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Hi, i recently started a new setup using a small amount of my old live rock from my cube and 80% marco rock, i have a swc 250a1 cone that has been overflowing since day 1. I tried letting it overflow in 5g bucket for 20 gallon to try and remove whatever is in the water. I haven't used chemicals or epoxy.
Skimmer is sitting in 6.5" of water valve is fully open I'm not new to this so i was curious to know if any one has experienced this.

When i replace the water that i skim out (5g x 4 times now) it settles for 45 min but then its starts overflowing again!

Any ideA's?
Thanks

BlueTang<3
12-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Have you checked the air intake to ensure its not blocked? My last new skimmer had some packing insulation fall in the intake. Are you using ro water? I had a issue with tap water and my bubble king never went away till I went to ro water. I assume you have the outlet open all the way.

Proteus
12-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Are you using any filter floss in your sump. I found this can also make simmers go nuts

zv3n
12-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Have you checked the air intake to ensure its not blocked? My last new skimmer had some packing insulation fall in the intake. Are you using ro water? I had a issue with tap water and my bubble king never went away till I went to ro water. I assume you have the outlet open all the way.

not blocket, ro/di at 0 tds and yes the outlet is fully open. could it be cause of the marco rock.. ?

intarsiabox
12-11-2013, 12:38 AM
not blocket, ro/di at 0 tds and yes the outlet is fully open. could it be cause of the marco rock.. ?

I've never had any skimmer issues using marko rock. Have you tried cleaning the skimmer body out with vinegar?

zv3n
12-11-2013, 12:40 AM
I've never had any skimmer issues using marko rock. Have you tried cleaning the skimmer body out with vinegar?

after 6 weeks in the tank ? i dont know if it will do anything othen then kill the slime no?

intarsiabox
12-11-2013, 12:46 AM
Platics and O-rings sometimes have an oil on them that is typically water proof, worth a shot if you are still having issues after 6 weeks. Have you tried contacting SWC directly to see what they suggest?

zv3n
12-11-2013, 01:17 AM
Platics and O-rings sometimes have an oil on them that is typically water proof, worth a shot if you are still having issues after 6 weeks. Have you tried contacting SWC directly to see what they suggest?

im kinda sure its the water chemistry, if i put my hand in the tank for a bit it stop overflowing and actually goes down 4" under the neck. but then it come back. right now its not overflowing by much... i guess either patience or waterchange.. im il be doing another bigger one this weekend..

Cal_stir
12-11-2013, 01:36 AM
My alk got low in my tank because my doser was slipping and my skimmer was overflowing a bit till I got it back up.

BlueTang<3
12-11-2013, 01:43 AM
im kinda sure its the water chemistry, if i put my hand in the tank for a bit it stop overflowing and actually goes down 4" under the neck. but then it come back. right now its not overflowing by much... i guess either patience or waterchange.. im il be doing another bigger one this weekend..

I think this is from our skin oils my bubble king takes hours to get the head back after I reach in the tank.

Are you running carbon? Another thought is my skimmer had a ozone port I never noticed and was always overflowing so I only ran 1 pump then I figured out the hole had to be plugged.

zv3n
12-11-2013, 01:55 AM
I think this is from our skin oils my bubble king takes hours to get the head back after I reach in the tank.

Are you running carbon? Another thought is my skimmer had a ozone port I never noticed and was always overflowing so I only ran 1 pump then I figured out the hole had to be plugged.

ya well actually my skimmer has a recirculation option in it witch i plugged. now i just put a valve on the air intake and its skimming for now.. but i kinda find it a bit stupid i need to run it not at 100%.. hopefully it will remove what ever is in the water and tomoro morning it will be be better lol.. i just have tons of sps and im worried a bit .. but it is what it is.. im sure it will be fine eventually .. just never taught i could take so long to settle down...

oh and yes im actually runing passive carbon in a mesh AND i got another 150grams of rox 0.8 in a reactor... but that dint help a bit.