PDA

View Full Version : Ok, let's hear it!

Pages : 1 [2]

Reef Pilot
10-29-2013, 01:52 AM
Like I said in my earlier post, I probably shouldn't have waded into this discussion....LOL. I don't have time for another "What is a corporation" debate.

mrhasan
10-29-2013, 01:53 AM
Like I said in my earlier post, I probably shouldn't have waded into this discussion....LOL. I don't have time for another "What is a corporation" debate.

:lol: I had to unsubscribe from that thread.

Aqua-Digital
10-29-2013, 02:01 AM
To Michael: LEDs doesn't necessarily eliminate chiller like I have mentioned earlier with proof. And there you go :) I didn't make that up ;)

Then I have concerns about that LED. why would my tank running on LED be any different to the next, I dont need a chiller and never have running LED.

LED's give out heat when driven hard, if the lamp does not have enough sufficient cooling which in turn effects the lamps PAR output then its not designed correctly.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-29-2013, 02:15 AM
Then I have concerns about that LED. why would my tank running on LED be any different to the next, I dont need a chiller and never have running LED.

LED's give out heat when driven hard, if the lamp does not have enough sufficient cooling which in turn effects the lamps PAR output then its not designed correctly.

My second generation DIY light uses a lot more Aluminium bars for the heat sink and so it dissipates the heat extremely well with NO fans whatsoever. Its all passive heat dissipation and just warm to the touch, even at full blast (280w) after 8 hours. My tanks were much warmer in the summer with halides.

I wonder if Brad and the others who experienced heat issues with LEDs have them inside an enclosed canopy with not enough air movement?

Aquattro
10-29-2013, 02:28 AM
I wonder if Brad and the others who experienced heat issues with LEDs have them inside an enclosed canopy with not enough air movement?

Yes, I had mine in a canopy.

kien
10-29-2013, 02:37 AM
Okay so what's the consensus? Should I switch to LEDS? Maybe I should ask in a poll.

jorjef
10-29-2013, 02:42 AM
Okay, but it needs to be he best poll ever or it's not even worth voting. :lol:

Aquattro
10-29-2013, 02:44 AM
Okay so what's the consensus? Should I switch to LEDS? Maybe I should ask in a poll.
Absolutely.

Doug
10-29-2013, 04:42 AM
:faint2:

lastlight
10-29-2013, 04:57 AM
I'm finding the colours I'm getting with my mitras to be just as good if not better (finally) than with my radiums. tank seems to be on an upward swing which I believe has nothing to do with the lights.

one thing that still stand out to me is how much better halides look over tanks during daylight hours. my LEDs just don't look bright enough to make the tank pop when it's light in the room. once evening rolls around my tank looks so much better in a dark livingroom.

Aqua-Digital
10-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Yes, I had mine in a canopy.

well that will explain the heat issue, unless specified otherwise LEDS are not designed for canopies.

Aqua-Digital
10-29-2013, 10:58 AM
one thing that still stand out to me is how much better halides look over tanks during daylight hours. my LEDs just don't look bright enough to make the tank pop when it's light in the room. once evening rolls around my tank looks so much better in a dark livingroom.

Under energy saving option switch the lamp to high output mode and 100% max power, then go to composer and press 100% full spectrum and 100% brightness ;)

Place supplied glasses over eyes before pressing save :mrgreen:

Reef Pilot
10-29-2013, 01:13 PM
well that will explain the heat issue, unless specified otherwise LEDS are not designed for canopies.
I've always had my Radions enclosed, incl my Gen 1s, and never had any issues. They are well vented, of course, and a lot cooler than the T5s that used to be in there.

mike31154
10-29-2013, 01:48 PM
And, that's a wrap. Thanks for coming out everyone. Hope everyone had a good time! Mod please close.

I...

mike31154
10-29-2013, 01:49 PM
+1 :mrgreen:

... should....

mike31154
10-29-2013, 01:50 PM
No no, now just hold on a minute. One more thing. If you're currently using Halides or T5s (or considering ditching LEDs), consider this.... in a few years you'll more than likely have a hard time finding replacement bulbs/tubes & if you do, they'll be very costly, especially the ones specific to our hobby. There's going to be a period of time where halides & T5s are going to be dirt cheap because all the distributors will want to purge their stock. In time, LEDs will take over. You read it here first.

... not have posted this! I've read through this thread almost all the way once again & is it just me, or are we repeating ourselves over and over and over and over? Like sphelps said, just do whatever you decide & get it over with. I think we've flogged this to death, no?

Here's what I did, I like it & won't change back. I'll just keep improving/modifying this.... or not! DIY, relatively low cost, not too many bells & whistles, been running almost two years with no issues other than the cheap fans which are starting to go. I have plenty of spares & could probably run the LEDs without fans since I'm underdriving them. Don't have the budget for $1000 light fixtures.

https://ojcrhq.blu.livefilestore.com/y2pE9wTDLQKoYeuksgMydu69kQvzgFMrqcET7x8OyYiUM9pxSV xgN7fl2x_Z9pqBaSeG9K5gpRQ3ErcqLGvH_lLY8etIEvaGDtF-AN8eR1ubRs/P1040678e.JPG?psid=1

almost forgot, I added a couple of strips of these SMD5050 RGBs...

https://ojcrhq.blu.livefilestore.com/y2pLADmEeXqpMasD7ByH4xHzKE2I4ooN3RJSNEZ6yzcUqWb1Wk 4v3-71EV5k-l0MdrNK-3RZ6CMpOpBRhRyUL0FamiN8Wsq6u_7FDtfCaC_Z08/P1060144e.JPG?psid=1

Aquattro
10-29-2013, 02:44 PM
I think we've flogged this to death, no?

Perhaps. :) Ya, I'm done, I'm happy with my choices. My time is limited in the hobby, so if T5 are not available in 5 years, I'm ok with that.

And Keener, if you'd taken the job, you could have closed this yourself. Just sayin' lol

kien
10-29-2013, 03:16 PM
And Keener, if you'd taken the job, you could have closed this yourself. Just sayin' lol

but it's so much more fun this way! :twised:

kien
10-29-2013, 03:17 PM
This has officially turned into a Zombie Thread :lol: .. just like the 'Corporation' one.

reefwars
10-29-2013, 03:26 PM
This has officially turned into a Zombie Thread :lol: .. just like the 'Corporation' one.

your saying i should bump up the zombie thread:mrgreen::mrgreen:.....it has been a while and alot of breakthroughs have happened since the last prepartion update:)

ok youve got me convinced ill get on it sorry about that:twised::twised::twised:

Aquattro
10-29-2013, 03:46 PM
.. just like the 'Corporation' one.

Huh? What's a Corporation??

kien
10-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Huh? What's a Corporation??

Exactly! We're still working on that question.. stay tuned! We should have the answer soon*

* never.

Madreefer
10-29-2013, 03:50 PM
your saying i should bump up the zombie thread:mrgreen::mrgreen:.....it has been a while and alot of breakthroughs have happened since the last prepartion update:)

ok youve got me convinced ill get on it sorry about that:twised::twised::twised:

No please don't. How's bout just keep building those tanks. Preferably the one that's goin to PG:lol:

kien
10-29-2013, 03:58 PM
No please don't. How's bout just keep building those tanks. Preferably the one that's goin to PG:lol:

and preferably with the correct dimensions? :lol:

mrhasan
10-29-2013, 03:59 PM
I am buying LEDs tomorrow!

Aquattro
10-29-2013, 04:03 PM
I am buying LEDs tomorrow!

Awesome! You'll save tons of money :)

reefwars
10-29-2013, 04:05 PM

and your corals will never be happier:)

lastlight
10-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Under energy saving option switch the lamp to high output mode and 100% max power, then go to composer and press 100% full spectrum and 100% brightness ;)

Place supplied glasses over eyes before pressing save :mrgreen:

We all know how gross that looked. I'm sure you recall the reef builders article lol.

StirCrazy
10-29-2013, 04:23 PM
I have been following this thread and it is turning into another advertising campaign by aqua digital, frankly the mitras are a OK led, and if they wern't so over priced I would consider buying one, are they better than other grouped cluster LEDs nope, do they have a few more features maybe but software functions don't increase the cost of the hardware. I am really getting tired of lighting discussions turning into advertising so companies please try to keep your soap box advertising to your own forum area so the rest of us can read unbiased posts.

now it may be just me getting tired of this and if so I am sorry, but I don't think it is just me.

Steve

lastlight
10-29-2013, 04:28 PM
FREE PUKANI!

reefwars
10-29-2013, 04:29 PM
FREE PUKANI!

haha :twised:

wayner
10-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Kien - please reconsider the job offer.

Proteus
10-29-2013, 04:42 PM
I have been following this thread and it is turning into another advertising campaign by aqua digital, frankly the mitras are a OK led, and if they wern't so over priced I would consider buying one, are they better than other grouped cluster LEDs nope, do they have a few more features maybe but software functions don't increase the cost of the hardware. I am really getting tired of lighting discussions turning into advertising so companies please try to keep your soap box advertising to your own forum area so the rest of us can read unbiased posts.

now it may be just me getting tired of this and if so I am sorry, but I don't think it is just me.

Steve

Nailed it

jorjef
10-29-2013, 06:12 PM

Steve

HEY that's what i wanted to say a few pages back, but in a less diplomatic way. Due to my two strike status i opted for the short outburst request and subtle hinting of an over zealous poster hoping for some traction to get it shut down.. Glad to see it's elevated to the much more entertaining gong show.. :lol:

lastlight
10-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Due to my two strike status i opted for the short outburst

is this a metric we can check under our profiles somewhere? i'm curious now...

reefwars
10-29-2013, 06:19 PM
+1

i think im in the same ...canoe?

jorjef
10-29-2013, 06:20 PM

Oh... that would be a nice touch.....

Madreefer
10-29-2013, 06:21 PM
HEY that's what i wanted to say a few pages back, but in a less diplomatic way. Due to my two strike status i opted for the short outburst request and subtle hinting of an over zealous poster hoping for some traction to get it shut down.. Glad to see it's elevated to the much more entertaining gong show.. :lol:

Hey I did'nt get any strikes. I just got the boot for a couple weeks or month i think.

jorjef
10-29-2013, 06:21 PM
+1

i think im in the same ...canoe?

I would give you my paddle but I only have one.....:lol:

jorjef
10-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Hey I did'nt get any strikes. I just got the boot for a couple weeks or month i think.

That "is" considered "strike one"

mrhasan
10-29-2013, 06:38 PM
and your corals will never be happier:)

Who cares! Its all about LEDs! :twised:

Nailed it

With a drill :mrgreen:

:lol:

mrhasan
10-29-2013, 06:40 PM

Umm....yah....why not. :razz:

Someone wanna donate a LED fixture and a MH fixture to me to pop some bubbles? :mrgreen: For 2 months and I will donate it back to you :smile:

thmh
10-29-2013, 08:11 PM
In before thread get close!

~Tony

lastlight
10-29-2013, 08:30 PM

~Tony

try this:

http://i.imgflip.com/4h41v.jpg

Aquattro
10-29-2013, 08:57 PM

You're on about strike 9. But you have redeeming qualities. I think..:razz:

lastlight
10-29-2013, 09:04 PM
You're on about strike 9. But you have redeeming qualities. I think..:razz:

my rep must offset the strikes lol.

Aqua-Digital
10-29-2013, 09:44 PM
We all know how gross that looked. I'm sure you recall the reef builders article lol.

You know nobody could ever replicate that photo, hmmm go figure:question:

kien
10-29-2013, 09:45 PM
You know nobody could ever replicate that photo, hmmm go figure:question:

That sounds like a challenge!

Aqua-Digital
10-29-2013, 09:46 PM

Steve

Oh here we go was waiting for that gem. Steve you are wrong, I am actually being a hobbyist that has played with LED's for years, funny I can join in on RC with the same thread and I am welcomed and my views taken as a hobbyist, but canreef, its a different breed. Cmon buddy I am allowed to be a human being also I dont need anyones permission, just because we distribute a product, so what least we can give accurate insight on the flip side of the coin.

Fyi no post on here is unbiased we all have our own "biased" views to share, thats what a personal opinion is.

Lets not turn this into a personal attack, this thread has been fun lets not ruin it. I stayed up late last night joining in the banter as a hobbyist and it was a pleasure to be involved. Lets not ruin this. Why should my interest in the hobby be sidelined just because you feel I am not one of you guys. I apologise for not asking permission first.

Aqua-Digital
10-29-2013, 09:51 PM
That sounds like a challenge!

which model do you have?

Oh hell no dont answer I am advertising clearly ;)

kien
10-29-2013, 09:53 PM
which model do you have?

Oh hell no dont answer I am advertising clearly ;)

I have the Mitras Air. But I was thinking it was more of a challenge for Brettski.

Aqua-Digital
10-29-2013, 09:53 PM
agh rare breed the air ;)

Borderjumper
10-29-2013, 10:28 PM
FREE PUKANI!

IM IN!!

Borderjumper
10-29-2013, 10:33 PM

~Tony

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Carrida/542a6a2557c6d38400e55bb7b5a3d190.jpg

kien
10-29-2013, 10:37 PM
Kien - please reconsider the job offer.

If I did that then I would have to start being more respectable. Probably cut back on inudendos and such. That would be so hard. So very, very hard...

wayner
10-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Accept the job, close the thread, then quit, it's getting ugly :Banane26:

lastlight
10-29-2013, 10:47 PM
If I did that then I would have to start being more respectable. Probably cut back on inudendos and such.

if that was all it'd take brad would have knighted half the board as mods by now lol.

mrhasan
10-29-2013, 10:49 PM
I hereby declare that I snatched the right and appoint myself to bestow upon this thread the title:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/lamistressa/thread-of-the-year.jpg

Doug
10-29-2013, 11:08 PM
:focus:

Just leave this thread alone......:ban: Im waiting for it to get back on topic. Lots to be discussed here. Im more confused than when I started.....:twitch:

And yes, Im reading the RC one to Michael. Its a good thread also.

Madreefer
10-29-2013, 11:39 PM
Well I still think you should try the Mitras Brad. Ever thought about that route? Rumor has it theyre supposed to be good. Just a throwin it out there. :lol:

sphelps
10-29-2013, 11:46 PM
I'm still confused what this thread is about and exactly what the purpose is.... Ditch LEDs for T5s then start a new thread to talk about putting LEDs back in the mix?? Is it just me or would it have been better just to add T5s retros to the LEDs :rolleyes:

Madreefer
10-30-2013, 12:20 AM
We're all confused. Could be the start of a corporation

Aquattro
10-30-2013, 12:22 AM
I'm still confused what this thread is about and exactly what the purpose is.... Ditch LEDs for T5s then start a new thread to talk about putting LEDs back in the mix?? Is it just me or would it have been better just to add T5s retros to the LEDs :rolleyes:

No, not at all. T5 for main lighting, looking to add back the sunrise/sunset features of LED dimming. But barring that being possible, I prefer the T5 look to the LED.

Doug
10-30-2013, 01:13 AM
It has a lot of purpose, besides the odd pile of gybrish posts.

Im still undecided between a Mitras, the 2080 or 6 bulb sunpower. I liked t-5s when I ran them before. Between all the guys changing on RC and Brad, who as mentioned, knows his sps, switching has me looking at other options.

Whats better than absorbing all the info in threads like this and on RC

Also imagine how many are reading it for info, that are not posting.

And most important, it has me posting again and thats good.....:biggrin:

StirCrazy
10-30-2013, 02:59 AM
And most important, it has me posting again and thats good.....:biggrin:

your just lonley :mrgreen: hey when we going to do coffee again, you need to show me your tank so I can see how your leds look.

Steve

StirCrazy
10-30-2013, 03:25 AM
Steve you are wrong, I am actually being a hobbyist that has played with LED's for years, funny I can join in on RC with the same thread and I am welcomed and my views taken as a hobbyist, but canreef, its a different breed.

not a different breed on canreef at all, it is actually tame compared to what RC used to be like before I stopped going there.

there are a few people who have been playing with LEDs for years, I started 12 years ago with 5 mm leds and have been experimenting ever sense, I have 3 different prototypes designs and a friend of mine who moved to china to oversee a Canadian manufacturing company has already worked out the build and costs to my spec's, but I will probably never have them brought in as I could never get away with selling a fixture that would be just as good if not better than anything out there for 1/3rd the cost. I have seen what happens to people who try bring in a high end produce at a sub bargain price from other producers and its not worth the hassle, but thats neither here nor there, my comment was not a personal attack at all but a observation that every time you get in a lighting discussion the thread turns into a discussion on how good the leds your company sells are. we all know that, canreef is a small board and gets saturated quickly.

I actually like what you have done for the "high end" market in Canada 15-20 years ago we were very limited on what we could get and hence if the archives still work you can find my posts on testing on lighting solutions for people who couldn't afford high end stuff. the weird thing is I had a 90 gal tank at the time and over 3 years I spend over 10000 on lighting and test equipment alone. at that point in time we didn't have a sanjay to tell us what lights works and what kind of output they had.

I have been semi out of the hobby myself for about 5 years, due to retiring, moving and a new job so I mostly just follow along or take the odd jab at Brad or Doug but lately I have been looking at my 1/2 finished tanks in the garage and testing to see if there is to much vibration from the train tracks in the basement to set up a new system, so my interest is once again peeked. I am sure your mitras would be a good LED for my needs but I think they have been priced out of the range of the average guy, but I get it your a high end product guy.

so take me with a grain of salt, I'm old and sometimes I just get tired of weeding through advertising to get to the meat and potatoes of the topic.
and trust me if I could aford it I would have a proflux and a 4 station dosing pump on this new setup.

Steve

Doug
10-30-2013, 04:01 AM
your just lonley :mrgreen: hey when we going to do coffee again, you need to show me your tank so I can see how your leds look.

Steve

You dont know how true that is. And yes we need to do coffee again

Aqua-Digital
10-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Im more confused than when I started.....:twitch:

Perfect, the plan worked then :p

mike31154
10-30-2013, 03:38 PM
The thread lives on! Ok, so perhaps a bit of additional food for thought. I mentioned in an earlier post that T5HO tubes would eventually get more difficult to source, particularly those with the specific phosphors that benefit our hobby. And fine, if you're ok with that possibility, then you'll be in good shape for a few more years, perhaps even longer. However, if not mistaken, the USA gov't has pretty much legislated the old Ben Franklin filament bulb out of existence. In Canada we're usually a few years behind that type of stuff, but the US is arguably the biggest economy in the world & when Uncle Sam says you can't sell a normal light bulb here anymore, manufacturers take notice!

I'm just guessing, but I have the feeling that fluorescent lamps, with their mercury content will come under the same scrutiny fairly soon, once LEDs have been accepted for general household use. And that's happening at a very quick pace. I can recall only a year or two ago, the LED bulb shelf at your local hardware store was pretty minimal, if there even was one. Mind you, LEDs are not totally clean either unless they're using lead free solder, but mercury is nasty stuff & released whenever a fluorescent tube bursts. The lead in solder connections is more or less contained as a solid and is easier to recycle & reuse.

So for you folks with the banks of T5HOs over your tanks and those considering a return to that technology, be careful with them & please do dispose of them properly. Don't just toss them into the trash, even the broken ones.

Aqua-Digital
10-30-2013, 03:53 PM
You highlight an accurate point, in Europe, I think it is by 2016 that Fluorescent tubes will be banned. GHL mentioned this to us a while back, not followed up with the story since to be honest.

lastlight
10-30-2013, 03:56 PM
so this hasn't been touched on in ages but are the bazillion of LED fixture makers licensing technology from Orbital Technologies or did people all just ignore that and carry on?

mike31154
10-30-2013, 06:32 PM
so this hasn't been touched on in ages but are the bazillion of LED fixture makers licensing technology from Orbital Technologies or did people all just ignore that and carry on?

Good question! Best I could come up with was an article that's already a couple of years old, but it looks like there are just too many new players out there for Orbital to prevail with their patent much longer. I suspect PFO lighting was merely the sacrificial lamb because they had the misfortune of being the first innovators to come up with a large controllable LED fixture. As far as I can tell, Orbital still hasn't come up with anything for Marine Tanks, but they do have some 'plant' growing offerings. Wonder if they've considered taking on some of the grow op light manufacturers??!

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/12/02/aquarium-led-patent/

Ron99
10-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Orbital's bogus patent was invalidated. So others are free to develop and market as they see fit.

Jakegr
10-31-2013, 09:32 PM
Has anyone had any experience with Pacific Sun's LED/T5 combo fixtures (and knows of a dealer!)? I'm a big LED lighting fan, but I find the lighting so point source (especially with my Kessil) that shadows can become an issue. Adding T5 seems like a easy solution to that, but I'm not willing to spend over $1000 on the 24" ATI T5/LED fixture... just seems over priced.

Aqua-Digital
10-31-2013, 09:46 PM
I have! we subsequently dropped them from distribution. PM me if you want any further info but some previous end users may post their own experiences.

chromakey
11-01-2013, 02:30 AM
Good Day:

Here is an interesting article from Advanced Aquarist:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/10/aafeature

Aquattro
11-01-2013, 02:33 AM
KInda lost me at

The light spectrum on the surface can be defined as a function I0(λ), where λ is the wavelength and I0 is the intensity for corresponding wavelength at zero depth. Hence the adsorption spectrum Ia(λ) at the depth D can be determined as
Ia(λ) = I0(λ) · K(λ) · D (1)

Delphinus
11-01-2013, 02:46 AM
Does it say if I can grow SPS under LED?

Aquattro
11-01-2013, 02:48 AM
Does it say if I can grow SPS under LED?

I coulda told you that without all the math!!

Madreefer
11-01-2013, 02:57 AM
KInda lost me at

The light spectrum on the surface can be defined as a function I0(λ), where λ is the wavelength and I0 is the intensity for corresponding wavelength at zero depth. Hence the adsorption spectrum Ia(λ) at the depth D can be determined as

One corona two corona three corona wwhat?????

No you lost me

Aquattro
11-01-2013, 02:59 AM
One corona two corona three corona wwhat?????

No you lost me

Coronas I understand!! Una mas Corona, por favor!!

Delphinus
11-01-2013, 03:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YozC8yFrZKI

mrhasan
11-01-2013, 03:03 AM
KInda lost me at

When one cannot make someone believe something, starting putting complex equations.....and it works :lol:

Doug
10-06-2014, 07:32 PM
:wave:

StirCrazy
10-07-2014, 03:17 PM
a update to this thread, Brad has also decided T5's suck (which we all knew) and has gone to MH.

Steve

Skimmerking
10-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Im starting to think the LED's are sucking I My corals have been looking like crap all levels are good to what I have known to be good.

My scollies have receaded to nothing and on its way to croak. my zoo's are also croaking some of them seems like the lower light par ones are doing ok.
leather is doing ok not growing staying at one level.
Acans some of them are receading and the higher end ones are pretty much died off

I think my Mitras isnt what it it.

might go back to the 250 w MH
Mitras 6200, and the 6100 sell them.

Doug
10-07-2014, 07:00 PM
a update to this thread, Brad has also decided T5's suck (which we all knew) and has gone to MH.

Steve

Did he just say they were to bland for his taste? Mine are that also in comparison to my 2080 but hoping the acro colour makes up for it. Not to mention the coverage my 3ft tank now has.

Aquattro
10-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Did he just say they were to bland for his taste? Mine are that also in comparison to my 2080 but hoping the acro colour makes up for it. Not to mention the coverage my 3ft tank now has.

Too flat for my tastes. I like the dimension and ripple that MH give. Colors were fine, just looked to static.

Samw
10-07-2014, 07:54 PM

Steve

Is this for real?

I just put my MH back on yesterday. Such a big difference in brightness. I had no success under T5HOs. Hoping to get back to this kind of growth again.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38715&highlight=growth

Here is 2 months in growth that I was getting under MH in the past.

http://www.aquarianet.com/reef/corals/acropora/insignis/p1040305_std.jpg

http://www.aquarianet.com/reef/corals/acropora/insignis/p1050303_std.jpg

The above started out from this frag:

http://www.aquarianet.com/reef/corals/acropora/insignis/img_8465_std.jpg

Aquattro
10-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Is this for real?

Me going back to MH? Absolutely!

Doug
10-07-2014, 11:33 PM
That I will never do.....:lol:

Aquattro
10-08-2014, 12:56 AM
That I will never do.....:lol:

your loss :)

Doug
10-08-2014, 02:12 AM
Actually I was looking for a fixture with a pair of 150 HQI,s and t-5 :lol:

Amadod2
12-02-2014, 05:48 PM
i currently have a 6bulb tek t5 fixture and thought about switching to LED, its just too expensive right now, if the prices came down i would do it, but then again i do have to replace the bulbs every 6-8 months on my current fixture.

would you guys just add an LED strip to the fixture and wait a few years until the LED technology gets better and more affordable?

ScubaSteve
12-02-2014, 07:15 PM
i currently have a 6bulb tek t5 fixture and thought about switching to LED, its just too expensive right now, if the prices came down i would do it, but then again i do have to replace the bulbs every 6-8 months on my current fixture.

would you guys just add an LED strip to the fixture and wait a few years until the LED technology gets better and more affordable?

It's almost at that point now, so you might not have long to wait. Really, it comes down to what you are wanting. If you want that POP! from the royal blue LEDs, or hate changing T5 bulbs, or want more oomph to your lighting... then maybe consider making the switch sooner than later. If you're concerned about cost, then wait it out a bit longer.

I had actually priced out a new T5 fixture for my tank (a nice ATI or Giesemann) and realized that once I bought the fixture and all the bulbs that it basically cost me the same as buying an LED fixture... but I'd never do that since I can make the darn thing! (I'm a product designer with a full machine shop at my disposal)

DIY LED fixtures have become brilliantly simple these days. If you are somewhat handy, I encourage you to look at MakersLED or LEDGroupbuy to see just how cheap you can build your own fixture. If you are super handy, I strongly encourage you to build you own! It's not too hard, it's very rewarding and you can customize it anyway you like!

Samw
12-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Since going back to MH from T5HO, I am now able keep Acros alive and growing again. Other corals also colored up from brown (including zoas). I restocked with Acros and they've been doing great. But with the awesome sales on Kessils this Black Friday (basically 20-25% off at various places after stacking with additional discounts) I will be converting from dual 150W MH HQI to dual 360 Kessil A360N-E. Hope to see similar results in growth and color of the corals.

Scythanith
12-02-2014, 11:08 PM
I'm working on supplementing my 3 Mitras with 4 4' T5HO bulbs. Just to fill in the shady areas ;)

SanguinesDream
03-04-2016, 10:40 PM
Those who went back to MH, did you stay with them?

Aquattro
03-04-2016, 10:59 PM
Those who went back to MH, did you stay with them?

I did, wouldn't leave again.