PDA

View Full Version : Blotched anthias

TRUONGP15
09-29-2013, 07:07 AM
Just wanted to start this new thread about these amazing little guys. I've been doing my due diligence with as much research as I can about them before I pull the trigger and grab some for my tank. My understanding is that these guys are not the easiest kept and do go for a hefty price. I've also heard they were seasonal as well and come a bit cheaper during certain times of the year when there are more around... I hear the prime season to find these guys are around November? If anyone can confirm this. Also if anyone knows the best place to purchase these guys for a good price in the greater toronto area... As much info about these guys is much appreciated as well as where is the best place to get them. :lol:

MadJellyCorals
09-29-2013, 07:17 AM
RR had them in!!! talk to jay he might be able to order some more for you. The last order Taipan and Bigshow grabbed them quick:D

~Tony

TRUONGP15
09-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Yeah I was there at RR a few weeks ago and he told me to look up bigshow frags (who apparently bought them all). Wasn't sure how much they were going for at RR but bigshow marked them up to 300 per fish... Kinda steep when you're looking to buy a group of them.. :laluot_08:

thmh
09-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Honestly I prefer Bartlett and dispar mix or sunburst anthias over any other.

~Tony

albert_dao
09-29-2013, 09:02 AM
They fight as they get older, so I'd stick to one or two.

*I use to have four of them. Then I had two. Then I had one.

DAVE
09-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Yeah I was there at RR a few weeks ago and he told me to look up bigshow frags (who apparently bought them all). Wasn't sure how much they were going for at RR but bigshow marked them up to 300 per fish... Kinda steep when you're looking to buy a group of them.. :laluot_08:

Maybe you should inquire with BIGSHOW and ask for what kind of price he can do on a group of them?

Price can be reflective oflosing a few due to swim bladder issues which is very common. Do you want to pay $200 and risk a swim bladder issue? Or a higher price and be guarenteed there healthy?

albert_dao
09-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Price can be reflective oflosing a few due to swim bladder issues which is very common. Do you want to pay $200 and risk a swim bladder issue? Or a higher price and be guarenteed there healthy?

Listen to this man! Collection of this fish can be extremely variable. Probably not something you want to hear when you have a bloated/dead wisp of a fish in your QT system.

DAVE
09-29-2013, 05:50 PM
Listen to this man! Collection of this fish can be extremely variable. Probably not something you want to hear when you have a bloated/dead wisp of a fish in your QT system.

Thanks Al!

A lot of time you can't point out the swim bladder issue until a few months after you get them.

You are also correct about small groups, not a good idea unless you have a Large tank and lots of rock work. I keep 8 in my 225 and they seem to do well, 3 larger ones keep tabs on the rest of them.

A good Anthia to keep by itself, not shy at all.

Borderjumper
09-29-2013, 07:35 PM
I had one and I loved him! he was fine for months, then developed swim bladder problems. Mine would feed from the surface whenever I fed flakes, just like a if mouth bass. I don't know if he swallowed to much air feeding that way, or if it was his swim bladder. He lived for years with the problem.. He coped well and would auger himself in a rock or something to keep from surfacing..I called him Bob;)

TRUONGP15
09-29-2013, 11:33 PM
Maybe you should inquire with BIGSHOW and ask for what kind of price he can do on a group of them?

Very true! I've learned the hard way that its always better to spend a bit more to get quality rather then just paying the cheapest amount possible. However i do find that $300 is just too much to pay per fish. At the same time I've both read and heard that swim bladder issues could take some months to develop even though they seem perfectly fine for the first little while. With this particular fish I'm not really sure the higher price means it's guaranteed to be perfectly healthy but I guess thats the risk that comes with getting a deep water fish species...

albert_dao
09-30-2013, 12:43 AM
Very true! I've learned the hard way that its always better to spend a bit more to get quality rather then just paying the cheapest amount possible. However i do find that $300 is just too much to pay per fish. At the same time I've both read and heard that swim bladder issues could take some months to develop even though they seem perfectly fine for the first little while. With this particular fish I'm not really sure the higher price means it's guaranteed to be perfectly healthy but I guess thats the risk that comes with getting a deep water fish species...

You don't have to buy ten of the if that makes you feel better :)

IN FACT, if I were given the opportunity to do it again, I'd just get one. I honestly didn't need that $900 lesson four years ago, lol.

Taipan
09-30-2013, 02:55 AM
Sound advice. There's a reason he's "Good Guy Albert" ;) . I have no problems admitting that I lost 2 in the process of finding several ones in good health and without issues. I keep 1 in my display and the others went to good homes (friends, relatives) after they were eating. Of the 2 I lost.....1 was completely my fault. I bought it knowing it was swimming a little funny (diagonally pointed downwards).

The other - I lost about a month after to an eye infection.....AFTER what I considered to be a successful swim bladder operation. Yeah....I was brave/foolish enough to attempt to rectify a swim bladder issue via surgery. It swam just fine afterwards.....until it was chased by another Borb about a month afterwards. It cut itself on an acro and the cut to the eye never healed properly.

A school would look very cool...but you need the room for the inevitable 'pecking' order that ensues. I agree with MJC that Fat Head/Sunburst Anthias look cool too. Hydrologist summed it up well too.....sometimes its well worth a proven conditioned specimen. I'm a perfect example of how 2 went up in smoke (or was that flushed down the toilet?). My 1 specimen ended up costing the price of 3 moderately priced ones.