PDA

View Full Version : Question of the Day: Do you wish that you could change your aquascape ?

kien
09-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Do you wish that you could redo your aquascape?

duncangweller
09-18-2013, 02:33 PM
I really like my aquascape, one thing I do wish I could do more easily is remove a few of the corals I put in, or where I put them before they fused to the rock work.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

kien
09-18-2013, 02:39 PM
I really like my aquascape, one thing I do wish I could do more easily is remove a few of the corals I put in, or where I put them before they fused to the rock work.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

I hear ya! I'm pretty happy with mine too but find I'm in a similar predicament once frags grow in. Sometimes (all the time) it's hard to predict their growth patterns. When that frag you planted doesn't grow straight up into a beautifully uniform colony, but rather decides to table right into your prized Purple Monster frag I start to get annoyed. :twised:

Reef Pilot
09-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Yup, with me, it was more placement of the frags that was wrong. SPS like lots of light, so I used up the real estate up top first. Then they start crowding into each other, and shading everything below, so putting new frags down lower doesn't work either now. Had to do some pruning already, and more to come. May have to start rearranging some rocks, too.

michika
09-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Yes, but usually I've lost the urge once I've forced myself up from the couch...

I need to move some rocks around...my clams they be growing fast.

thmh
09-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Yup, worst mistake in my reefing hobby is doing "semi" pennisula! I found out really quickly how little space I truly had and how annoying it is that you can't access the front side:-( I've broken countless of frags off because of my short trex arms!

~Tony

ponokareefer
09-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Yah, just did a minor change last week. I like to change it up every once in a while. It rips some of my soft corals, but they always recover.

AquaPin
09-18-2013, 04:22 PM
I love aquascaping, I do not mind spending several hours on a tank getting it just right. I have changed my layout a few times, each time I think it is an "improvement" on the last. It is nice to have 20-30lbs of spare LR in the sump to swap out. Corals can take a hit during reconstruction, but always recover afterwards.

kien
09-18-2013, 04:26 PM
I've broken countless of frags off because of my short trex arms!

~Tony

We need to start a 't-rex reefers' support group.. :hug:

thmh
09-18-2013, 04:49 PM

Omg I though I was alone! Let's do it! Team trex! Long makes fun of me all the time because I can not reach the front of my tank unless I put the scuba gear on:-( I even had to buy the extra long chop stick to help with my trex arms. Some days I feel like this picture! I really think the trex support group would really give me a boost!

~Tony

michika
09-18-2013, 05:12 PM

I know the PERFECT shirts to use too.

intarsiabox
09-19-2013, 01:18 AM
The best aquascape I ever attained was when I just started adding my LR to a new tank. It was so cloudy that I couldn't see a thing and just did it all by feel. My current scape is in a nano and is OK but I have a bunch of bubble algae that I just can't seem to get rid of so I'm think of scrapping all my LR and starting with new stuff.

Aquattro
09-19-2013, 01:23 AM
The best aquascape I ever attained was when I just started adding my LR to a new tank. It was so cloudy that I couldn't see a thing and just did it all by feel.

That's how I did my 180 :) Turned out great lol

Dearth
09-19-2013, 02:20 AM
For the amount of weight of rock sitting in the tank it doesn't look like much till I start to move it around 240lbs of rock can be so deceiving

gregzz4
09-19-2013, 03:37 AM
I feel my towers are too tall and I've lost room
It's also hard to get the 'scape right in a 75g Aqueon with the overflow in the way and MP10s blasting right at some of the LR

So, why is there a 'Kien' option in the poll ??? Am I daft ?

Proteus
09-19-2013, 03:42 AM
Since I used Marco Rick I was able to sit down and put it together chipping away at points to make it fit together like a puzzle.
Wouldn't change it at all

kien
09-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Since I used Marco Rick I was able to sit down and put it together chipping away at points to make it fit together like a puzzle.
Wouldn't change it at all

That's exactly what I did with my live rock. Don't be afraid to bring out the chisel and power drill! :lol:

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/muzanji/IMG_2795.jpg?t=1249495494

Although, your experience was probably a lot less messy than mine :neutral:

Proteus
09-19-2013, 05:00 PM
That's exactly what I did with my live rock. Don't be afraid to bring out the chisel and power drill! :lol:

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/muzanji/IMG_2795.jpg?t=1249495494

Although, your experience was probably a lot less messy than mine :neutral:

My you have a mighty large rock between your legs

mseepman
09-19-2013, 05:10 PM
I like my aquascape but wish I had a couple more pieces to "mountain" it out more. I may have to move some coral and put a couple pieces in soon before the coral really gets too comfortable.

The Guy
09-19-2013, 08:24 PM
I want to open my free area up in my 90g, so I'm going to remove some LR and open the center area up to establish more sand bed, I have a 4'- 120g oceanic RR that I planned on swapping out with my 90g, but am starting to rethink it because of all the work of mods to my built in cabinet to make it fit in. I love the 120 but it's a ton of work for 30 gallons of water.

spit.fire
09-19-2013, 09:29 PM
I get bored and change mine on a regular basis

SanguinesDream
09-20-2013, 06:20 AM
I just redid mine last night after reading an article on TRT regarding aquascaping having back, mid and foreground and the four different zones to hit with your eye and the color wheel.

It turned out pretty nicely but I have to reconstruct on side that slipped. Oh we'll, the ability to make improvements.

Spyd
09-20-2013, 03:21 PM
I love my aquascape! I took the time to find the right dry rock pieces though and knew exactly how I wanted it. Turned out great and lots of space for SPS and some LPS. I have higher ledges, middle ledges and lower ledges. It works great. Just make sure the highest pieces are set back so when the corals grow, they don't shade the levels below them.

Coral placing is definitely a challenge. I hear everyone about trying to remove a fused coral from the rock. I sit there with a tiny little flat head screwdriver and dig at the base for a while until I can just pop off the coral. Some are troublesome, while most just pop right off.

I try moving things around before they spread too far but hard to predict what shape the corals are going to grow like.