PDA

View Full Version : fish vs coral poll

reefwars
08-18-2013, 03:52 PM
If things were different if the two couldn't exist in the hobby which would you do a coral tank or a fish only?

reefwars
08-18-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm a coral fiend ill admit it lol:mrgreen:

marie
08-18-2013, 04:32 PM
I would have a tank for each. I have gone through stages where the coral was the most important and only had a few fish and a time where the fish was the most important. Now I like both :mrgreen:

jorjef
08-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Coral, a fish is a fish is a fish. Tell someone that all the corals in the tank are alive, that they eat meaty items, can move, kill each other and eat fish. Those tidbits really get people's attention. They don't even see the fish after that. Lol.

Reef Pilot
08-18-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm like Kien, those options don't work for me. If I could only have one, I would choose neither, and not be into SW.

misty s
08-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Fish for me! Love my fish, the coral are just a decoration to make a more natural environment for my fish :)

kien
08-18-2013, 07:08 PM
I want to know who the imposter kien is!!??

Also, I had a REALLY hard time deciding which to vote on. My head hurts. Thanks Denny! :-p

kien
08-18-2013, 07:11 PM
I would have a tank for each. I have gone through stages where the coral was the most important and only had a few fish and a time where the fish was the most important. Now I like both :mrgreen:

I'm like Kien, those options don't work for me. If I could only have one, I would choose neither, and not be into SW.

I'm totally with you two. I don't think I can have one without the other. I'd likly lose interest if I just had corals or just had fish. Thank god for the 'kien' option.

thmh
08-18-2013, 07:18 PM
Yah for kien option!

~Tony

Dearth
08-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Kien is gonna get a swelled head again.....:biggrin:

Proteus
08-18-2013, 08:29 PM
I only keep fish to feed my coral.

Rice Reef
08-18-2013, 11:25 PM
Kien option for me too! Need fish to feed the corals and catching nasty bugs and worms while corals adds the challenge and beauty to the tank.

MitchM
08-18-2013, 11:50 PM
Corals please, Denny.:smile:

darkreef
08-19-2013, 03:45 AM
corals!!! .. and a few Awesome fish.. to enhance the corals ;)

Baker
08-19-2013, 01:17 PM
I would definitely have the coral tank. Ive gone through stages as well, first it was the whole reef, then I was into z' and p's, then I bought my first acro(big mistake but you warned me that day). I think your exact words were "dont blame me if you get addicted to sps". Well now im addicted to sps and theres no 12 step program for it. Now my tank is half frag rack and half a reef tank(to keep the girlfriend happy). If it wasnt for her I would probably have a COWLR tank. Fish are cool and all but like someone said, a fish is a fish.

tang daddy
08-20-2013, 04:36 PM
I love both but if I had to give up one it would be fish, corals are so much more enjoyment for me.

Ask yourself this, how long can you seriously stare at a fish.... And how long can you stare at your favourite coral?

brotherd
08-20-2013, 11:34 PM
I only keep fish to feed my coral.

Yep. And they entertain the kids. Corals for me.

Kraken
08-21-2013, 12:52 AM
Just need a giant ball of clownfish for me.....huehuehue

naesco
08-25-2013, 01:24 AM
I am a bit surprised by the posts to date.
Who could compare the bright eyes of a loving tang as she observes her reefer to a bunch of immobile sticks and brown wavy thingies.

Fish rule! Coral are just decorations and occasionally something to nibble on.

MitchM
08-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Wayne, of all people, you should know that no matter how big your tank, it's just not big enough for our fish. The bigger the fish, the bigger the guilt.
:smile:

sunoka
08-26-2013, 08:23 PM
I feel they need each other...both for me:biggrin:

91Atrac
08-31-2013, 02:03 AM
Coral, a fish is a fish is a fish. Tell someone that all the corals in the tank are alive, that they eat meaty items, can move, kill each other and eat fish. Those tidbits really get people's attention. They don't even see the fish after that. Lol.

Funny to see people's reactions when they know its ALL alive. Feed them and they want a tank like that hahha. So funny to me. But then they wouldn't take care of it.

If have a refugium. Even tho it's not in the option. The bugs that live with it is awesome. Pods :)

Proteus
08-31-2013, 02:10 AM
Funny to see people's reactions when they know its ALL alive. Feed them and they want a tank like that hahha. So funny to me. But then they wouldn't take care of it.

If have a refugium. Even tho it's not in the option. The bugs that live with it is awesome. Pods :)

Lol I've had people ask if coral is rock, plants. You name it

91Atrac
08-31-2013, 02:16 AM
Well literally everything is alive aside from the rock matter itself. Algae, coralline. It's so fascinating!

Dearth
08-31-2013, 02:19 AM
Lol I've had people ask if coral is rock, plants. You name it

Everyone who comes to see my tank is amazed to see what coral actually is they never expect it to be what it is

Wheelman76
08-31-2013, 03:05 AM
Everyone who comes to see my tank is amazed to see what coral actually is they never expect it to be what it is

+1 so true , " Those things are alive !?!?" Lol

BackPackHunter
12-11-2013, 05:34 AM
I've been out of the hobby for over 4 years now...
I love corals, but I really miss the fish, how they come to the front when you walk into the room, I like that each and every fish has it's own personally like a person. Some become very tame, some don't ...
I thought I wanted a true reef tank on my next tank, but after talking with the wife last night I'm going fish, and working around the main ones on what I can have for corals,

I'm going to have a French & Emperor Angel, n maybe a clown trigger, n a mix of tangs
The better half said she wants clown fish again
My wife likes the fish more then coral, so if I can keep her into it, the better off the tank will be, if she doesn't like it, then I know I'll hear about the $ going into it.... Well I know I'm still going to hear about it ....

Leah
12-11-2013, 10:25 AM
I would have both...and do...and then some. :twised:

Leah
12-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Can't have cake without the icing.

straightrazorguy
12-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Kien here too; I just can't have one without the other...

SanguinesDream
12-13-2013, 02:16 PM

+1

The whole "Everything is alive! Bwahahahah!!!" really intrigues us.

Poseidons Reef
12-13-2013, 02:32 PM
I get tired of explain it's all animals and then being asked, is that one too? How about that one?
So I just saying anything with colour is an animal haha :)

Def need fish and coral though,
In a perfect future I'll have a huge fowler tank and a huge mixed reef tank :)