Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-23-2013, 04:20 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Default Soda ash vs bicarbonate for alk dosing

So I am a bit confused whether to use soda ash or bicarbonate for dosing. Read that soda ash slightly increases the ph while bicarbonate slightly decreases the ph. Mine stays around 8.0 to 8.2. Is a bit higher pH better than bit lower pH?

Advice please

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 02-23-2013, 04:25 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

I would use the soda hash. My Ph is about the same as yours and I use the BRS soda hash because I don't want my PH any lower than 8 if possible.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
I would use the soda hash. My Ph is about the same as yours and I use the BRS soda hash because I don't want my PH any lower than 8 if possible.
Yah that's what I was thinking too since I would prefer my pH to be above 8 instead of being below 8. Getting it from BRS is not possible for me so I will search local or else I will order that from RA. Thanks for the input

Old 02-23-2013, 05:30 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Agree about the soda ash. The majority of BRS users go with it rather than the bicarbonate.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:38 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
I will search local or else I will order that from RA
Make your own from baking soda

Courtesy of Randy;
Spread baking soda (594 grams or about 2 ¼ cups) on a baking tray and heat in an ordinary oven at 300°F for one hour to drive off water and carbon dioxide. Overheating is not a problem, either with higher temperatures or longer times. Dissolve the residual solid in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds dissolution. This solution will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH). I prefer to use baked baking soda rather than washing soda in this recipe as baking soda from a grocery store is always food grade, while washing soda may not have the same purity requirements. Arm & Hammer brand is a fine choice. Be sure to NOT use baking powder. Baking powder is a different material that often has phosphate as a main ingredient.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Make your own from baking soda

Courtesy of Randy;
Spread baking soda (594 grams or about 2 ¼ cups) on a baking tray and heat in an ordinary oven at 300°F for one hour to drive off water and carbon dioxide. Overheating is not a problem, either with higher temperatures or longer times. Dissolve the residual solid in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds dissolution. This solution will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH). I prefer to use baked baking soda rather than washing soda in this recipe as baking soda from a grocery store is always food grade, while washing soda may not have the same purity requirements. Arm & Hammer brand is a fine choice. Be sure to NOT use baking powder. Baking powder is a different material that often has phosphate as a main ingredient.
Yap but its too much hassle to save $30 :P Since my tank is small, one 4lb box should go for months. Manual preparation would have diminishing return for me

Old 02-23-2013, 06:08 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

for the first couple of years that I was dosing I just baked baking soda in the oven. Cheap and easy. I baked like 3 large boxes worth and stored the result in zip loc bags. I tried soda ash recently and it was nice because it mixed a lot easier than baking soda. However, I ran out of it and kinda find it a pain to have to order more form BRS. Instead I just went to Superstore and bought more baking soda and baked it again. Anyway, I am using recipe #1 because my pH tends to be lower (7.9-8). If your pH tends to be higher you can use recipe #2 which doesn't involve baking.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
for the first couple of years that I was dosing I just baked baking soda in the oven. Cheap and easy. I baked like 3 large boxes worth and stored the result in zip loc bags. I tried soda ash recently and it was nice because it mixed a lot easier than baking soda. However, I ran out of it and kinda find it a pain to have to order more form BRS. Instead I just went to Superstore and bought more baking soda and baked it again. Anyway, I am using recipe #1 because my pH tends to be lower (7.9-8). If your pH tends to be higher you can use recipe #2 which doesn't involve baking.
Yah looks like most of the people use BRS stuff but I saw that RA is also selling the same stuff at a very reasonable price. Tempted by that.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:13 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Yah looks like most of the people use BRS stuff but I saw that RA is also selling the same stuff at a very reasonable price. Tempted by that.
Ya, it's good stuff. I just find it very pricy to keep ordering it and alk is a major consumable that adds up fast. It has been much more economical to just run to the supermarket to grab more alk :-) And I'm actually kinda used to mixing it now as I use a hand blender to mix the bicarbonate/baking soda.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:49 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I bake up baking soda for alk as well. Different view of what a hassle is I guress, waiting for something to come in the mail as opposed to spending an hour of so of my time baking. As far as pH, I don't recall the last time I even checked that paramater (edit: I checked a month or so ago when I was about to add two cleaner shrimp). Whenever I check alk, it seems to be chronically low, so I'll mix some baked baking soda into my water top off. The lps & few sps I have still seem to be able to get what they need to grow. I look at the tank every day & if there's a problem with paramaters, my critters will usually clue me in with odd behaviour. My BTAs are a very good indicator that something is amiss. Thankfully, there hasn't been any odd behaviour in a very long time.

Last edited by mike31154; 02-23-2013 at 01:52 PM.