Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-26-2015, 04:26 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

I'll still get some stuff from the LFS but with the prices online for equipment being sometimes a 1/3 off, I'm going to the internet.

Livestock I rely on Canreef members so hope the forum stays strong.

For info, books or the internet but not taking everything as truth. Given and overhead heard from the LFS not overly trusting there either.

Last edited by mark; 05-26-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:53 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

The trend, in my experience over the last 15 years, has been on the decline.

I can't imagine were more than 10 or 15 years away from only being able to stock captive bred or cultured livestock and paying an incredible premium just for that.

slection is getting worse and prices are going up.

all but the best run lfs can't seem to stay in business.

I'm just enjoying it while I can...
Old 05-26-2015, 05:50 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Well when it comes to livestock I think retailers and wholesalers as well use the same suppliers time and time again it's sooooooo repetitive it's sad ......customers want fresh items that the other 35 stores don't have lol

Imo selection is better overall sure it cones with a price but the selection is wayyy better just not quite there yet locally unfortunately
Old 05-26-2015, 05:57 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

I've been reefing for 5+ years and what I've noticed most is the massive rise in cost for fish/coral. I spoke with a friend who's a local retailer and he told me it's mostly shipping that kills them. To ship 4 fish in a box you're paying for the cost of the water to be shipped overnight and that's what Wrasses that were $20 5 years ago are now $50.

I've also noticed that LFS's sell fish in days. If a store gets a good shipment of tangs in you better grab one that day. the problem with that is the survival rate at home. The last 3 Tangs I bought all had intestinal parasites. I QT'd and prazipro'd them but they didn't last. That's over $150 worth of cool fish dead before the display tank. That sucks but it seems more and more common. I'd like stores to QT fish before they sell but if you go to JL in the evening after a shipment you can see them acllimating the fish in the shipping boxes and the next morning they are for sail. Roll the dice...

So because of the price and the turn over we have started counting on each other for frags ect. This is great in one respect but it also hurts LFS's which isn't great. If JL, King Ed, ect go out of business we'll have no place to quickly pick up a pump or test kit when we need them.

If I was confident my fish would live I'd have no issue paying $100 for that cool fish I always wanted but lately I just don't feel its a good idea at any LFS in the lowermainland.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:08 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
So because of the price and the turn over we have started counting on each other for frags ect. This is great in one respect but it also hurts LFS's which isn't great. If JL, King Ed, ect go out of business we'll have no place to quickly pick up a pump or test kit when we need them.
Actually, it is the locally grown hobbyist frags that keeps the hobby alive. Besides expensive, I have found LFS frags to be hit and miss, and always worried about pests from them. I would like to see the LFS buy more hobbyist surplus frags rather than the expensive imports. Would be better for them (margins) and would help support their customers. Win/win for all.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:20 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

Have you seen JL's frag tank lately? Thats all local frags for sure and they charge between $40-80 a frag. Coral is crazy expensive compared to few years ago. I get that we drive the prices, how many of us (me excluded) have paid $40 a polyp for utter chaos palys? Think about that for a minute...

I'm not really complaining, I drop $100 on an acan here and there but honestly I think frags of sps or single polyps of coral should be like $10 - $15 when we're clipping them out of our tanks but I'm an old hippy...lol

I do remember when blue tangs were like $30 though and now one that isn't a 1 inch at JL is closer to $70.

Its all a matter of how big you want to go to, my daughter has a 14 gallon biocube with 2 clowns and after the first set up hasn't cost very much, some salt and carbon, thats about it.

Seriously though, $40 for one polyp?
Old 05-26-2015, 06:26 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Yeah, J&L is good about that. I have sold them frags as well (and then watched them go for 2 to 3X what they paid me (credit). But hey, am not complaining, as they were not exactly flying off my own frag rack...
Old 05-26-2015, 07:11 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

This hobby is full of people who love to pay as much as they can for things...

Complain about pricing and expect to get at least a couple "you're in the wrong hobby" gems.

I would thin with the exchange rate, Canadians may feel a bit more of a price increase than hobbyists elsewhere.

I do. Is the days a bit where you went into an lfs and might see something you had never seen before because it came in on live rock or something.

That just does not seem to happen anymore.

Not sure if it's more stringent inspections at the border or prior to shipping or if the bio diversity out there has just depleted to this point.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:35 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

A trend I have started to notice and I'm not sure if it's driven by economics or supply is tiny fish.... Not as in gobies but 1 inch hippo tangs etc. That makes it tough if you want to add a fish to your display but realize with its size it would have a tough time surviving.

I love it when the LFS gets trade ins or surrendered fish due to tank shut down. I bought a giant Royal Gramma a few weeks back that was traded in. Didn't even blink at the wee over priced aspect, the size sold me. I also didn't mind paying a little extra for what I call tank tested fish. No guarantee but survival rate is way higher vs. newly arrived fish.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:44 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

Those little tangs you talk of usually go to the higher paying Asian markets we are lucky to be getting them in. Smaller tangs in my experience adapt better to aquariums.