Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-26-2015, 02:17 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road
Default What is your opinion on the hobby's status?

From sustainable supply of livestock, to quality and likelyhood of successful acclimation of the livestock. From high priced new products, even present ones due to greedy manufactures or high exchange rate, call it what ever you want... To shrinking retailers, to unkept outdated websites, to frustrations of no clear instruction for new comers, which is very tough because every tank is unique and what works for one doesn't for another.

I see this hobby shrinking rather than expanding in western Canada or at least scaling back to where only the ones with deep alliances with livestock supplies outside this country will survive, depending on North American wholesalers for the sustainability of a saltwater specific shop is a short lived life.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:43 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Did someone pee in your Corn Flakes again?

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:48 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

I can't speak for the larger centres but here in PG the hobby is picking up with about 30-50 serious hobbyists with about another 60 or so who are dabbling or considering getting into the hobby so I would say here it is thriving.

However like anyone not in a major centre we suffer from not having a proper SW store and we have to order virtually everything in from the major centres which if you don't know who or what is available can definitely lead to issues.

With that being said I think that the hobby is increasing as it is becoming more affordable and it is becoming more accessible to the masses and with improvements in tech and survivability makes it easier than ever to keep a SW tank. Even with the restrictions in place of certain corals and fish more and more are going to ORA raised which I am a huge supporter of and although ORA raised is somewhat limited breeders and growers of coral are finding ways to make even the hard to maintain fish and coral survive and even breed.

When one door closes another opens so while the hobby goes through a transitition I believe that in the short term you will see retailers jump ship but those that stay will become stronger and I think you will see the hobby expand more outside the major centres.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:04 PM

I just googled P.G.'s population and to say have that many hobbiest is impressive. Regina with over double the population in my mind would be pushing 30 people. From where I sit the prices have gone up considerable. Blood shrimp at $50.00..... What's that about.

I'm not sure what's up Mindy, the corn flakes did taste a little off this am. More just frustration with the LFS. I continue to go in, stand there shaking my head, which develops into banging my head on the front on the tanks asking "why do I continue to come back". I have the day off and if I was motivated I would be driving up to to see Colby's cache of gems.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:12 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I think the advent of more good online retailers has enhanced and made the hobby more accessible. The problem, though, is that the masses are just not aware. You'd think with the all the cheap(er) social media advertising options available now, it should be easier to reach out to those that might have an interest. I would target the freshwater crowd. I was one, and succumbed (albeit more by accident)... haha.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:17 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

To me it all comes down to local support. Here in S'toon we have all of the support we could ask for, tied in with internet resources, it gives the hobbyist all they could need. Retailers just need to hold on until the new Finding Dory comes out... the market will explode again! Then they should have well made kits and informational pamphlets ready to go for the care and maintenance of clownfish & anemones

I do see a trend to more of your hobbyists fragging and trading, which will help strengthen the supply, but can hurt the local retailers.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:22 PM

I guess I'm being more livestock specific. Online for dry goods and equipment is easy to access but with me being in the market for livestock at the moment and very picky on what I buy can produce some very long dry spells.

I can't think of 5 or 6 online livestock sites but with sites being so outdated it's frustrating. I just let out a snort of derision when I read "site will be updated shorty"
Old 05-26-2015, 03:25 PM

Colby really needs to expand.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:07 PM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Honestly Colby has one of the best livestock supplies in Canada. It never ceases to amaze me at the corals and fish he regularly gets in! I think he ships all the time, just let him know what you want haahaa! From what I understand he is working on his site as well. He knows it needs to be revamped and regularly updated.

The problem with expanding in my eyes is that it's the people that make a shop succesful, and if you don't have the right people a shop won't float! Bayside is what it is because of Colby, without him it's just another shop.

Scott
Old 05-26-2015, 04:18 PM

I have Colby ship quite regularly believe me. Lol. But you can't replace buying in person vs. via online. Even your plate you posted that you bought from him recently varies from a posted pic. Don't get me wrong I trust Colby 100 percent, it just speaks to my picky nature when I write about my observation.

I agree, it would be very tough to open another shop outside of Saskatoon. Finding the right person dedicated to the shop would be near impossible, that's why Gustavo needs to move to Regina.