Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 05-07-2020, 09:15 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
As there are many people using any of the salts available successfully, while others using the same salts have problems, it leads me to think the problems lie somewhere OTHER than the salt.
To be fair I'm not complaining about anything other than the incredibly high Alk in the mix... and not every bucket I've had mixed super high to boot. I'd like consistency and parameters that match my own as closely as possible. The goal is stability and large swings (especially with Alk) aren't good. At least my corals tell me they aren't good. If I ran my tank at 11 dKH RC would be perfect most times I've mixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
All in all, i'd say try out Red Sea Blue Bucket. Wai's in town always carries it.
I think I'll give it a shot thanks =)
Old 05-07-2020, 09:41 PM

crimper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
I have the same complaint you do with IO Regular

If you can get your hands on it;
I've used Red Sea Blue Bucket and the listed parameters were true in 2 buckets.
Here the cost is about 0.50 before tax for their claimed 175g bucket.
But @ 38.2grams/litre for 35ppt, math tells me the bucket will only yield 152g
So actual cost is around 0.57/g, based on their mixing instructions

Only reason I recommend it is because of their parameters @ 35ppt
No shock to your tank, just your wallet.

https://www.redseafish.com/red-sea-salts/red-sea-salt/
To me salt is salt, however they are not created equal. That is the same sentiment why I switched to the Redsea Blue Bucket due to the high Alk of IO.

I agree with Greg, I never have to deal with the Alk swing during water changes and what's advertised on the bucket is what I get each time. I maintain my Alk Around 7.7 and 8.0.

I've been using this for more than a year now. My acro dominated tank is a testament to that.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:37 PM

msjboy is on a distinguished road

Noticed canadacorals sells Tropic Marin and the Fritz salts. A lot of reefers now like the tropic Marin and their various additives as well in the USA. As for fritz, some reefers swear by them as well. They are suppliers to the large public aquariums the claim....and produce in limited product lines to be consistent with the chemistry.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:10 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Picked up a bucket of the Red Sea Blue bucket today. I'll be sneaking a bit of my Reef Crystals into my next few water changes to use the rest of it up. If the parameters are consistently as advertised on the bucket I'll be very happy.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:21 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I think you'll be very happy with the Red Sea Blue Buckets. I can't attest to consistency throughout buckets, just that when I used portions of the bucket it was true, and over the use of the whole bucket again it was true when I checked my records.

I can't afford it regularly, but when I did use a couple buckets it was Exactly as advertised.

In my case, I found it best to use when filling a new tank, or when performing a large WC.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:41 PM

msjboy is on a distinguished road

However, watch out for the Red Sea Coral Pro salt if you decided to step up and buy this salte; it is great for accelerated growth but for ongoing water changes, it might do some weird undesired consistencies.