Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Old 10-19-2017, 07:39 PM

Tigweldpro is on a distinguished road

Well after calling around to some more glass shops I found one that will "try" to cut the hole @ 90$hr shop rate and if they break the piece I still pay the shop time and go home with broken glass. wow now that's customer service at its finest
Old 10-20-2017, 07:41 PM

Well who would have thought that an old dull starrett wood/metal holesaw and a handful of sand/water would grind through glass.... My $10 powerfist drill definitely paid for itself today. The hole is a bit oversized but I put a bead of silicone around the inside and the sock fits nice n tight.

Success has been achieved for $0

POST CLOSED!
Old 10-20-2017, 08:11 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Wow, my hat is off to you. Can you please explain how you did that?

Interestingly (to me anyhow, lol) is that I'm sort of in the same boat. I want to build a sump insert to hold a filter sock or two but the larger size. I've been stuck at the "do I go glass or do I go acrylic for this" decision point for a couple weeks. I'd prefer glass, just .. "because".

Just go slow and let the sand go under the drill bit as often as possible?
Old 10-20-2017, 08:46 PM

yes build a playdoh or plumbers putty dam around the hole to hold sand/water. you need a 1/4" glass bit to make a pilot but you can get a set of small sizes for a few bux on fleabay. I used a cheap 1/2" electric drill but I think a drill press would work best. you don't want much pressure just enough to feel the sand rolling between the saw and glass. drill 1/3 of the way through from one side then flip it over so you don't get breakout on the bottom side. I used pool filter sand mostly quarts but if you could get a fist full of sandblasting grit it would probably work better. took me over an hour to grind my way through but whateves its a hobby.

I think unless you already have an old holesaw/sand/drill. buying the $50 one on amazon would be the best bet as you can resell/rent it out after. The hole size you want is 3 7/8" anyway my 4" was a bit big.

You can also go to crystal glass and have there "experts" break your glass and send you home with a $90 bill.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:38 PM

Last edited by Tigweldpro; 10-20-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:31 AM

slider9969 is on a distinguished road

congrats bro ive never seen that done before . too bad i saw this post so late i have full access to a glass shop i would have done it for 20 bucks . PM me if you need anything in the future