Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Contest 2012

Old 11-10-2012, 03:38 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

New toys!!! Finally!!!!!!!!

So for awhile now I have been wanting to add onto my eco pico led lights. My work (AI) had the 3 way splitter that I needed and the dimmer I wanted but no extra white and blue led strips. I waited awhile for them to order some in but unfortunately they didn't have enough items to place an order with. Thankfully Grizz came to my rescue and worked it out with Martin from Modular LED and brought me the 2 extra light strips I wanted! YAY

New toys

3 way splitter

dimmer

back of extra led strip with 2way sticky tape for easy attachment

before

after

let there be light
Old 11-10-2012, 06:11 PM

ensquire is on a distinguished road

Laurie , What do you have for lighting in your fixture now. I have the same tank and was thinking of 2 blue and one white ? Did you just go with 3 mixed ??
Old 11-10-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensquire View Post
Laurie , What do you have for lighting in your fixture now. I have the same tank and was thinking of 2 blue and one white ? Did you just go with 3 mixed ??
What you see in the above pics is what I have. A total of 3 led mixed strips (white blue white) the original one it came with and the 2 I added. They are EcoPico LED Strip - 12,000K White & 453nm Blue. http://http://www.modularled.ca/ecopico-led-strip-12-000k-white-453nm-blue/

Last edited by fishoholic; 11-10-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:45 PM

So after a month of trying to meet up with Ken for some tiny clownfish and the timing never working out I was beginning to think it was going to take forever to get a little clown for my tank. Thankfully while Doug was at work (RC) yesterday he mentioned they got tiny clownfish in so lucky for me he brought one home thanks hunny He's about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in size, super tiny and super cute! He fits well in the tank for now (may have to re-home him later as he gets bigger) but for now I get to enjoy watching a fish in my tank. Hasn't shown interest in the bta yet but hopefully he will, althought atm the bta isn't happy (stupid crab ****ed it off) and is moving around trying to find a spot he'll be happy in. On the plus side my new clown eats .5mm pellets

Crappy iphone pic for now, will post better pic later after the lights are on and the glass is cleaned.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:56 PM

I forgot to mention earlier that when removing a porcelain crab from a tank full of maxi minis be careful your hand doesn't get to close! Needless to say it's been about a week and I still have a rash on my hand! Oddly enough when I put the maxi minis in that I bought from RC and when I removed the maxi minis from my 230g tank to put in this tank I never got stung.

The day after I got stung (iphone pic but you can see how red my knuckles are)

Today (not as red but still a bumpy rash that is itchy and irritated)

Last edited by fishoholic; 11-11-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Ouch!! Hand looks sore, hope it's better soon! Love your little tank, looking great!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
Ouch!! Hand looks sore, hope it's better soon! Love your little tank, looking great!
Ya it stung like an SOB for a few days, now it's just itchy and annoying. First time since I've been in this hobby that I got hurt by something in my tank.

I'm glad you like the little tank I have to say its my favourite tank to maintain

On a side note I was just looking at the tank and I noticed that the clownfish is just a tad bigger then my large sexy shrimp

Last edited by fishoholic; 11-11-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM

Bit of a sad update, I checked on the tank just now and found my little clown dead He had some spots on him when I got him, so I'm not sure, but maybe that's what did him in He was eating well so I had hoped he'd pull through.

I did go into the room the tank is in earlier this morning and turned on the overhead room light. When I did that I thought I saw the clown dart to the back of the tank (thinking he's going to hide behind the rock) so at the time I just thought "oh shoot I spooked him" but now I can't help but wonder if I spooked him into one of the maxi mini's and the maxi mini stung him and killed him. My 2 scarlet crabs were eating him when I found him so it's hard to say what happened for sure.

I also noticed that even though the clownfish was very tiny the tank was a bit small for him. Not sure which direction I want to go with this tank now. Debating on selling all the nems (after a fishless QT period) and turning it into a reef tank. For now it will be fishless for awhile just in case it was a disease that did him in.

On the plus side I got a benadryl anti-itch cream for my hand and within a few days the rash the maxi mini stung gave me was gone.

Last edited by fishoholic; 11-19-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:21 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

sorry to hear Laurie
Old 11-19-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
sorry to hear Laurie
Thanks Kien