Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tips and Tricks

Old 04-28-2010, 05:40 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Ya, once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. I had the luxury of learning when I worked in a large retail store, so that helped me figure it all out.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:15 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Thanks Myka
Old 07-13-2010, 04:05 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap View Post
OK a couple of shipping questions.

1. How long can a coral frag last shipped with the above instructions? I have always assumed 24 hours, I have never exceeded 8 to 12 hours myself, it it possible that corals could last 2 to 3 days in shipping as long as they don't get too cold?
... no one has answered this question yet? In Calfo's Book of Coral Propagation he says that the average coral can survive shipping for up to 36 hours if properly packaged. Although I'm sure most of us would prefer it if they made it to their destination in half that amount of time.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 07-13-2010, 03:35 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I remember seeing that question, I thought it had been answered.

When I packaged corals "professionally" we had the odd package that would "get lost" in shipping. We had one particular Greyhound package that got lost in the winter months (in BC) for 5 days, and both fish and coral survived. Not to say that is typical, but I always pack to assume the package will get lost. When shipped from overseas, packages are often in transit for 18-48 hours, sometimes quite a bit longer, and that's not including however long they sat in the package before they got their plane papers with the date and time on them. They ship the same way we do, except usually with less water and smaller bags.

SPS fanatic.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:17 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I remember seeing that question, I thought it had been answered.

When I packaged corals "professionally" we had the odd package that would "get lost" in shipping. We had one particular Greyhound package that got lost in the winter months (in BC) for 5 days, and both fish and coral survived. Not to say that is typical, but I always pack to assume the package will get lost. When shipped from overseas, packages are often in transit for 18-48 hours, sometimes quite a bit longer, and that's not including however long they sat in the package before they got their plane papers with the date and time on them. They ship the same way we do, except usually with less water and smaller bags.
Happy to see your advocating good shipping practices Myka, I have read far to many horror stories about people just being plain lazy resulting in problems. If you take the time and effort not only do you prevent head aches in the future but you ensure the health and safety of the livestock (And in the end that's what really counts).

As a tip placing a small amount of activated Carbon in the bottom of your bag will greatly help for shipping that takes more than 24 hours (Such as shipping from the states).
Old 07-14-2010, 07:07 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

i like your nails (finger nails that is LOL)!
Old 08-15-2010, 02:21 PM

phyto4life is on a distinguished road

thanks for the post I hope to ship some zoo/paly frags in late fall

"Corals,corals,corals-they are as fascinating as candle lights."
PHYTO4LIFE
Old 07-20-2014, 07:35 PM

johnnyriker22 is on a distinguished road

Great post. Shipping can be tricky with livestock and you've demonstrated how to do it properly with this write-up.

Here is some more info on shipping as well:

Shipping Corals
Old 01-28-2015, 01:50 AM

Fishy! is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAbyss View Post
Hey trilinear...

I read an article a while back that stated they shipped Acropora frags from a collection site in the Caribbean (or Gulf of Mexico, can't remember exactly) and had a 100% survival rate when packed damp (wrapped in damp newspaper and then bagged) after 48 hours (I believe). I'll try and track down the article, but it seems completely plausible as many corals spend hours exposed to the sun and wind at low tide and so should be fine as long as they don't dry out or get cold.

EDIT: Found the article, my mind twisted it a little http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-11/eb/index.php
Good read!!!^^^