Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 05-27-2012, 06:48 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

flaggng this forfuture use..not to this point yet but i will be still trying to get my cat5 to the modem...only 30 more feet of strategic wire runs to go

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 05-27-2012, 07:17 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

This a great resource for how to setup your router to forward ports. Just find your router model and then follow the prompts and screen shots.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/
Old 08-09-2013, 08:09 PM

Ginu is on a distinguished road

Sorry to resurrect such old thread but I'm wondering if any of the posters above with Neptune Controller and Telus Actiontec router got the link out of the home network working...

I've spent countless hours trying to get this figured out and unfortunately its not working...

Ive followed the instructions on portforward.com before stumbling upon this thread and not working...
I spoke with telus staff and they are clueless when it comes to port forwarding... they want to send me to their "premier care" which costs 60$ or they want me to subscribe to a business package for a service which is offered on Shaw...

Anyhow at the moment I have a few ports open (80, 8080, 307, 2050, 9900) however none show up when I run a test on a port check website... I get the following messages :

Port 80 is closed on 23.xx.xx.xx
Port 8080 is closed on 23.xx.xx.xx
Port 307 is closed on 23.xx.xx.xx
Port 2050 is closed on 23.xx.xx.xx
Port 9900 is closed on 23.xx.xx.xx

Ive changed the port on the Apex to all of the above, reset the controller and linked my cell (LG Nexus 4) and my iPad3 through the house network without a problem, however cant get it to work with the external network.

I'm getting to the point where I want to bridge the Telus Actiontec V1000H and run my third party Netgear router in hopes this will fix the port forwarding issue, but I'm also wondering if there is a easier way, has anyone with Telus/Apex and Actiontec been able to set the external network up? Please let me know and sorry to resurrect an old thread, just getting really upset with Telus and their service...
Old 08-10-2013, 12:25 AM

makana is on a distinguished road

did you forward your port to the correct IP, or an IP? I didn't see anything in the instructions that said to set the IP it is forwarded to. Since you are attemptint to connect from an outside connection into a device you need to specify the device IP so the router knows where to sent the packets. You also need to select the correct protocol udp or tcp.

Livestock: clown fish, chromis, coral beauty.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makana View Post
did you forward your port to the correct IP, or an IP? I didn't see anything in the instructions that said to set the IP it is forwarded to. Since you are attemptint to connect from an outside connection into a device you need to specify the device IP so the router knows where to sent the packets. You also need to select the correct protocol udp or tcp.

Yup correct protocol was set to TCP and correct IP address is used.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:08 PM

makana is on a distinguished road

Are you using the same port to connect internally as you are trying externalling? Can you post a screen shot of your port forwarding settings? Have you tried connecting externally or just using the port testing tool?

Livestock: clown fish, chromis, coral beauty.

Corals: Toadstool, maze brain, candy cane, mushrooms (purple & green hairy), button polyps, green zoas, GSP.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:12 AM

TimT is on a distinguished road
Default Actiontec router warning

Just a word of caution to all those Telus customers using the Actiontec v1000H modem. There is a known security flaw with them. The Telus tech user and root user passwords are readily available on the internet. All a hacker needs to do is find out there is one of these routers at an ip address, then run a DNS rebinding attack on it and voila.... full control of the router. This was with the latest firmware as of this February.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 08-12-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Just a word of caution to all those Telus customers using the Actiontec v1000H modem. There is a known security flaw with them. The Telus tech user and root user passwords are readily available on the internet. All a hacker needs to do is find out there is one of these routers at an ip address, then run a DNS rebinding attack on it and voila.... full control of the router. This was with the latest firmware as of this February.

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Well yes that would make sense, however upon the 1st login to the router, you will be prompted to change the password, so even though its readily over the web just like any other router and their information (which is also on the net)... only issue here is to actually change the passwords for all the login usernames as well.

Well I actually got it all working without bridging the router, so if anyone has any questions I will most likely be able to answer them.

Now next issue, the email forwarding doesn't seem to work. Created a GMX account and all but it will not send emails out, any ideas on how that can be fixed?
Old 08-12-2013, 07:20 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu
however upon the 1st login to the router, you will be prompted to change the password
I think you misunderstood my comment.

The router has 3 users that I know of which will successfully log in to the router.

1. Admin. This is the one you are referring to and has limited access to certain router/modem features. You can change the password and make it secure.

2. Tech - This is what Telus uses to login to your modem/router to update the firmware or make modifications from their end.

3. Root - This is the highest level of administrative access. With it you can completely change any setting you choose.

The passwords for Tech and Root are readily available on the internet. I did not try to change those passwords so don't know whether it's possible or not. I suspect they are hardcoded into the firmware. Someone using one of these modems would need to verify if it's possible.

I got Telus to upgrade my modem to the Thompson and use my own router. As soon as I switched out the router the port forwarding for the Profilux and ip cameras all worked fine.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 08-12-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
I think you misunderstood my comment.

The router has 3 users that I know of which will successfully log in to the router.

1. Admin. This is the one you are referring to and has limited access to certain router/modem features. You can change the password and make it secure.

2. Tech - This is what Telus uses to login to your modem/router to update the firmware or make modifications from their end.

3. Root - This is the highest level of administrative access. With it you can completely change any setting you choose.

The passwords for Tech and Root are readily available on the internet. I did not try to change those passwords so don't know whether it's possible or not. I suspect they are hardcoded into the firmware. Someone using one of these modems would need to verify if it's possible.

I got Telus to upgrade my modem to the Thompson and use my own router. As soon as I switched out the router the port forwarding for the Profilux and ip cameras all worked fine.

Cheers,
Tim

Yup I know there are three passwords for the different logins and I havent tried changing the password on them either. Will probably play with it tonight see if I can change them

In regards to the Thompson, was there a upgrade fee or they just straight across changed it?

Thanks,