Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 12-30-2010, 02:59 PM

Rus is on a distinguished road

That is correct Brad. With my AQ3 I had to purchase the aquasurf module to do this.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
removed my post - i was de-railing the thread, my bad
Since I already quoted your post, there wasn't much point Besides, it was kinda related to the topic!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:17 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rus View Post
That is correct Brad. With my AQ3 I had to purchase the aquasurf module to do this.
do you guys know if you throw the korila controllable pumps on the apex controllable output made for the tunze?

tunze pumps are $210 - Koraila is like $30-$50

i am going to guess the answer is no but does anyone know why? any electrical experts know of a work around?
Old 12-30-2010, 03:20 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Sorry, those are what exactly? I'm new at this -lol
Reef Keeper Lite and Reef Keeper Elite from Digital Aquatics.
http://www.digitalaquatics.com/

Don't know much about any of the controllers on the market though as Ive never used any of them.

Last edited by muck; 12-30-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:38 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

Hydors are not DC motors and not compatible with APEX as they run 12 volt AC so if you got it going it would ramp 0 to 10 volts. Tunzes and Vortecs are true DC motors. Yes you do have to buy the Apex module for wireless control of your Vortecs. Apex comes with outlets for Tunzes you just need to buy or make the cable. The profilux is an excellent product and fully capable and flexible interms of programming. Alot of the Apex system is carried from the Neptune lines. It is programable at the unit but is better done through their dedicated web server. Programming is striaght forward. Most of the modules are plug and play. It can't change the TV channels for you. I bet you can get the profilux to do it. If cost is your concern then choice is obvious. Support is good in both products.

Last edited by fencer; 12-30-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:00 PM

doch is on a distinguished road

+1 on the RKE (digital aquatics Reef Keeper Elite) I have one, and I love it!

I had done a little research prior to my purchase, and this is what I found.
Profilux
-Expensive
-Need a decent understanding of programming language to set it up
-WAY more advanced than we need

Between the Apex and the RKE, it came down to price. The RKE is a little cheaper. On top of that, once I got it I found it to be VERY user friendly and easy to set up. Apparently the Apex can be a little more difficult to get the email notifications working and the web stuff running (if you plan on using it). Both of these will do everything that you want them to, and more.

As far as modules and support for the RKE, I have recieved a prompt response from DA every time I've asked, and as mentioned there is a Support forum on their website (similar to canreef... go on, ask a question, do some searching, etc). The only problem that I know of through them is the salinity probe. THey are having troubles getting a new and reliable one put out for a decent price. By the sounds of it, you don't need it, and most people won't.

Don't count the RKE out... I HIGHLY recommend it... FWIW

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 12-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doch View Post
Don't count the RKE out... I HIGHLY recommend it... FWIW
I'll look at that too, hadn't really considered it.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:36 PM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

I'm on the controller fence as well, would like to start traveling and like to have the ability to monitor things while away. I am going to hold off until Vertex releases the Cerebra before I make the final choice, will most likely be a toss up between the Cerebra and Profilux for me.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Just a guy..

With the limited info on the Vertex, I wonder if it controls non Vertex hardware. So far I've only read that it CAN control Vertex lighting, etc...

I like the Profilux, but for my config, it's almost double the price as the Apex gear...
Old 12-30-2010, 05:43 PM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
With the limited info on the Vertex, I wonder if it controls non Vertex hardware. So far I've only read that it CAN control Vertex lighting, etc...

I like the Profilux, but for my config, it's almost double the price as the Apex gear...
That's why I am going to wait, either the Cerebra does what I want it to or the extra competition on the controller market reduces prices on existing units.