Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 12-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default Profilux vs Apex

I'm thinking of jumping on the controller band wagon, and I'm looking at the Profilux 3 kit or the Apex gear. Anyone have opinions on which is more suited to my needs over the other?
I won't ever use the dosing function, mostly want to control power to lights, control temp with heater and fans, control 2 Tunze streams, time a solenoid for ATO, maybe control pH on my Ca reactor. Not sure what else I would use on either...
The Apex is a bit cheaper, and both have a software interface for PCs, so on unit screen isn't that impartant (I think??)

Thoughts??
Old 12-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I've been looking at getting a new controller too (cause imma win the lottery soon). Old one isnt broken but a pain in the arse and limited capabilities without spending $$ (ethernet/powerbars, I can buy a new apex system for the price of these) . IMO, the profilux seems wildly overbuilt for what most peioke use it fir and any expansion (extra modules, powerbars) are pricey. The apex seems like a better deal and easier on the wallet, a;though when thay day comes when you buy a dosing pump (and it will ) it wouldnt be integrated into the system (which isnt really a huge problem anyways,

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:13 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

I have a brand new RKL that i was going to use but after hearing all the issues with product updates and reliablity/ lacking customer support I am hesitant to get it wet.

I too was thinking profilux or apex. Profilux seems like it will cost me more than all my other tank gear combined but they seem to come out with new add ons quite regularly. Apex is at a standstill for new modules but it looks like your really dont need anything else. I have read that the PRofilux can be tedious to setup and takes a real tech savy user to use. Apex seems more plug and play.

As for dosing pumps... you dont need it to interface with the computer. Just plug one of those Drew's Doser or BRS Two Part dosers to the powerbar and setup timer intervals on the controller. The dose rate on the pumps i mentioned is very accurate so its just up to you to determine time intervals and you are good to go.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:01 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

I like the Profilux because I use dosing and it can control my Christmas tree.

It is more controller than I need now, but I don't feel like my ever changing system will be limited by the controller.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:22 PM

Rus is on a distinguished road
Talking

I recently just purchased an Apex to upgrade from my Aqua 3 controller , to be honest it was mostly for the option to have the display setup remotely , mine will be setup outside the fish-room on the wall by the tank. This way I can glance at the settings without going in the room to check. I will then be using my net book comp. in the fish-room for controls and settings

I like the fact the main unit can be setup out of site from it. I also have a dosing system setup for a while now , but went with the Profilux standalone ( In my opinion this is by far the best , easiest to use and so far most reliable one I have seen )

I also now have an AQ3 for sale as well for a good price.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:37 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

I have an RKL+ on one tank and a RKE on another, I haven't had a single problem with either of them, easy to setup, inexpensive, reliable and great customer support through their BB (www.forum.digitalaquatics.com).
Old 12-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
a;though when thay day comes when you buy a dosing pump (and it will ) it wouldnt be integrated into the system (which isnt really a huge problem anyways,
Ya, that day is right after I switch from metal halide No, I won't go with dosing ever, my reactor has done well for 7 years now, can't see a reason to change.
Other than that, I pretty much agree with your logic!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cale262 View Post
I have an RKL+ on one tank and a RKE on another
Sorry, those are what exactly? I'm new at this -lol
Old 12-30-2010, 02:00 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

removed my post - i was de-railing the thread, my bad

Last edited by phi delt reefer; 12-30-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
Rus - can you control the Tunze adjustable pumps directly with the APEX out of the box or do you need an additional module? This is the selling point for me - i can get mp10es' for $185 US shipped so if i am spending $400-$500 for two pumps and an add on module the APEX isnt as attractive as an option for me.
I was told that the full unit would do this out of the box with a simple additional cable (to control two pumps)