Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 07-29-2014, 03:30 PM

deeznutz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanerickson View Post
The GHL was a good unit. But the screen thing ****es me off. $500 + tax and you can't pony up a screen.

Exactly what I thought I used mine for 6-8 months put in in storage another 8 months or so packed up nice. When I unpacked and plugged in screen was so brutal could not make out anything it said. And some how this was my fault I was ****ed.

Hahaha, you must have stored it in a high humidity area. I guess you must have dealt with Digital Aquatics. What a _________(add your description here)
Old 07-29-2014, 04:11 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Any electronic device regardless where it's made will have parts from China in it, that's just how the world works. Open up a Libra and you'll find the same. The product is still designed and assembled in Germany and ultimately despite your issues the GHL brand is a good line of high quality products.

I do agree about the service though, there's a high level of arrogance involved with claims made regarding the best support in the industry yet when you have an issue it's instantly turned against you in a defensive manner and yes it can be very insulting. It's not until you make your concerns more public on forums like this do you get any real attention or credibility. Getting parts is also a complete joke, you use to be able to order parts direct which worked fine but now you're forced to order through a dealer which really don't exist, nobody stocks parts and nobody wants to order just one part for you either. I've been attempting to order a new temp probe for over a year but it's completely hopeless, no response from the recommended dealers from GHL and even some of the local dealers in town came back to say the part is back-ordered and they can't order it.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:30 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy

Humidity? Imagine that: a product designed for the aquarium trade is working in a humid environment! What a shock!

I've had some similar dealings with Digital Aquatics; not this bad, but still a pain! I do hope more people share their experiences on forums like this one, because this is the only recourse we have, in spite of shelling out hundreds of dollars on defective or poorly designed products.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:37 PM

mikepclo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I do agree about the service though, there's a high level of arrogance involved with claims made regarding the best support in the industry yet when you have an issue it's instantly turned against you in a defensive manner and yes it can be very insulting.
Same experience here!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Any electronic device regardless where it's made will have parts from China in it, that's just how the world works. Open up a Libra and you'll find the same. The product is still designed and assembled in Germany and ultimately despite your issues the GHL brand is a good line of high quality products.

I do agree about the service though, there's a high level of arrogance involved with claims made regarding the best support in the industry yet when you have an issue it's instantly turned against you in a defensive manner and yes it can be very insulting. It's not until you make your concerns more public on forums like this do you get any real attention or credibility. Getting parts is also a complete joke, you use to be able to order parts direct which worked fine but now you're forced to order through a dealer which really don't exist, nobody stocks parts and nobody wants to order just one part for you either. I've been attempting to order a new temp probe for over a year but it's completely hopeless, no response from the recommended dealers from GHL and even some of the local dealers in town came back to say the part is back-ordered and they can't order it.
This is all true and for that matter all electronics are pretty much the same inside nowadays. All using foreign parts from all around the world. The power supply should have been at least german made.

It just bugs me when people, post about the GHL being so much better then the eastern counter parts. etc etc. You know the post I'm talking about. People pay the premium and for what?

Heres the ad I speak of(buy once lol)

If this was true, why am I paying again?

As for the product itself. It's a decent product. Not the worse I've seen, but the units and screens do not scream quality. I'll have to order another set of tubes though. I just found out that one tube has collapsed again
These are wear and tear issues and I can't blame the product. Just saying though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrazorguy View Post
Humidity? Imagine that: a product designed for the aquarium trade is working in a humid environment! What a shock!

I've had some similar dealings with Digital Aquatics; not this bad, but still a pain! I do hope more people share their experiences on forums like this one, because this is the only recourse we have, in spite of shelling out hundreds of dollars on defective or poorly designed products.

That's what I'm trying to say! They do make you feel like you're stupid and that's what brought this tread into existance. I'm no hater. Just give the consumer what they deserve.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:56 PM

I would think the power supply issue relates more to international sales, a European power supply would not likely work here since the supply voltage and frequency would be different. Even if it could work here the certification would also probably be different so ultimately not really feasible. I wouldn't be surprised if GHL has nothing to do with the power supply here in NA and leaves that to the distributor to supply. At any rate I think pretty much every power supply I have is from China and some are much better than others so being that it's from China doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. They are also very easy and cheap to replace, not that you should have to but it is what it is.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:05 PM

Yeah you are right. Let it be known. By no means am I saying product made in China are bad. It's economy and I get it. Just had to vent and document my findings.

Quality is quality, just be cause it made in a certain area doesnt mean its not quality.

For what I paid for this unit, it should have be perfect from the begining and I should not have to replaced the screen ever. Other than smashing it and/or getting it wet.

I hope everyone found this thread entertaining, humours and informative. That's the main goal here. At the end of the day, it's just a hobby.

-deez
Old 07-29-2014, 06:34 PM

Yeah I know what you mean but it happens, my new BMW has been in the shop all summer, haven't seen it since June and still have no idea when it will be done. Disappointing for sure considering I haven't even had it a year yet and it was the furthest thing from cheap. But that said my last one was completely flawless, pretty much bulletproof and cost nothing to maintain so I can't say they are all bad.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:29 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

Last time I talked about this issue on this forum I found this in my user cp area not sure what it means maybe brad can tell me but I got 10 points pretty sure it was to do with me speaking my opinion.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:26 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

Yep , apparantly you can't voice your opinion here on Canreef when it comes to Michael or aqua digital. The last time I did my post was removed.