Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-11-2021, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer
Default APEX ATO w Solenoid, need programming help

OK, so I have limited experience using the APEX and am having some challenges with my ATO.

I'm just setting it up again and seem to have gotten it to get the ATO running, but I think something is amiss.

I use a solenoid inline of the PMUP to prevent any siphoning. Even though I've now got it properly topping off water, the programming seems off.

I can see the Solenoid toggling on and off repeatedly. And just hearing the mechanical clicking the APEX makes when this happens makes me feel like this can't be good for the APEX or the Solenoid.

The Solenoid should open when the low optical sensor is open. And should close and remain closed while the low optical sensor is closed. This is where the issue seems to be. It doesn't seem to be staying closed, while the PMUP is remaining off, the solenoid is toggling on and off repeatedly.

Here is the programming I have for the Solenoid:
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Swx3_3 OPEN Then ON
If Swx3_3 CLOSED Then OFF

Swx3_3 is the low optical sensor to trigger the ATO.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:23 AM

Fishman is on a distinguished road

What programming do you have to run the PMUP?
Old 03-12-2021, 04:38 AM

As the surface water flutters up/down on your low optical sensor (Swx3_3), the solenoid turns on and off ... this would also be happening with your PMUP if you have the same programming, although if you have an Apex ATK and set it up using the Apex wizard, the programing would have a few more steps to keep this from happening. Using the Apex set up wizard, your ATK (ATO) programming should look “something” like this (some comments in brackets):
Fallback OFF (safeguard if apex becomes disconnected or loses control, the PMUP won’t run)
Set OFF (safeguard if no program conditions are met, PMUP will not run)
If Swx3_3 OPEN Then ON (this should be your low-level sensor and does all the work … turning the PMUP on when the water is below and turning the PMUP off when the water reaches the center of the sensor)
If Swx3_4 Closed Then OFF (this is a sensor positioned slightly higher than your low-level sensor and acts as a safeguard in case the low-level sensor fails … turns the PMUP off if the water gets to this level – in this statement the sensor is plugged into port 4 on you FMM)
When On > 005:00 Then OFF (This is the maximum amount of time the program will run before turning to the off position. Be advised that your slider will move from AUTO to OFF position and you’ll have to reset back to AUTO before the program will run again if you exceed this time – the example shown here is 5 minutes). Make sure it’s enough time to fill back to the low-level sensor (loss to evaporation) and not too much time to flood something or drastically dilute your saltwater.
Defer 000:10 Then ON (This is the continuous amount of time that the water has to be below the sensor, before it will turn the PMUP on – the example here is for 10 seconds)
Defer 000:04 Then OFF (This is the continuous amount of time the sensor has to be detecting water before it will turn the PMUP off … the example here is for 4 seconds)
Min Time 060:00 Then OFF (this is the amount of time the program has to wait before allowing the PMUP to turn on again - this keeps the pump from turning on/off with every little water fluctuation … this example has the pump turned off for an hour before it can turn back on.

If this is what your ATK (ATO) programming looks like, I would copy and paste these steps for the solenoid programming and then your PMUP and solenoid will run in unison.
As with any programming (and without seeing your system), no guarantees and proceed at your own risk.
Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:41 PM
Gold Member

OK, I ran the wizard and the programming now looks as you described.
I've also copied and pasted it to the Solenoid programming.

I went for a quick observation annnnnnd I think we have a winner!
Old 03-12-2021, 05:43 PM
Gold Member

Thanks Fishman!

I'm giving you a virtual fistbump, high five and a Millivanilli chest bump!

Appreciate the help.
Old 03-13-2021, 01:38 PM

Glad it's working out.

You can "log" both of these outputs to ensure they are turning on/off simultaneously.

The "powerplug" icon allows you to "check" any of your outputs that you wish to log. The logged info can then be seen by clicking the Output icon (it has 2 checkmarks and a dot on the leftside followed by lines on the right). This gives a bit more peace of mind knowing they are both turning on/off at the exact same time.