Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-26-2018, 02:46 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road
Default RO Water Shut off saftey

Hey guys,

Just cleaning up a mini RO water leak that could have been much more.

My Ro machine is fed into 2 brute blue barrels and stopped using a float valve... you can see where this is going.... float valve failed and blue barrel slowly over filled dumping probably 5-10 gallon of water on the floor before I noticed. Never had issues before

Just wondering what everyone does to add redundancy to the system? Is there an electronic eye float valve kinda like the tunze has that can directly shut the water off that wouldn't fail like a float valve ? Is there a way to have two float switches into the RO machine

I know I can do a leak detection one with a direct water shut off but id rather stop the water in the barrel before it starts to leak

What does everyone else do?

Thanks
Old 12-26-2018, 05:14 PM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer

Damn. I had the exact same thing happen!

Do you use a controller? I am using a Neptune now (first time using a controller).

Thinking will need 2 optical sensors and a solenoid.
Optical sensor 1 will be a low water sensor so it will trigger the solenoid to open and fill the tub until new RO/DI fills to the top and reaches Optical sensor 2 which in turn will trigger the solenoid to close.

Voila.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:32 PM

I do have a Neptune but the tank is upstairs and the RO machine and water change system is in the basement and I pump the water upstairs
Old 12-27-2018, 02:56 AM

Ace Storman is on a distinguished road
Default fail safe RODI...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdillman View Post
I do have a Neptune but the tank is upstairs and the RO machine and water change system is in the basement and I pump the water upstairs
I set my system so that the RODI is on the Neptune Apex power bar. I put 2 float switches in the RO reservoir tank (2nd one for redundancy). Programmed Apex so that if one or both switches is closed, it powers off the RODI unit. No power = no more water production. Works well and provides some fail safe redundancy. I have a fresh water tank upstairs, joined a couple of BLUE USB 3 cables together and daisy chained the Apex Neptune EB8 power bars together using the Aquabus ports. I control all my main lights, moon lights, canister filter, CO2 solenoid valve and main water pump.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Storman View Post
I set my system so that the RODI is on the Neptune Apex power bar. I put 2 float switches in the RO reservoir tank (2nd one for redundancy). Programmed Apex so that if one or both switches is closed, it powers off the RODI unit. No power = no more water production. Works well and provides some fail safe redundancy. I have a fresh water tank upstairs, joined a couple of BLUE USB 3 cables together and daisy chained the Apex Neptune EB8 power bars together using the Aquabus ports. I control all my main lights, moon lights, canister filter, CO2 solenoid valve and main water pump.

Yea that seems ideal but my tank is too far from where my RO set up is
Old 12-27-2018, 03:52 AM

https://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-s...ller-8555.html

Was thinking something like this but it seems stiff for 233$ but kinda the idea I'm looking for
Old 12-27-2018, 05:31 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

I use high tech. I put my 5 gallon bucket in the sink and set a timer for 50 minutes. If I forget it overflows into the sink.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:49 AM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Except for the one time the bucket sits on top of the drain... people I know had a $30,000 flood claim due to that.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:37 AM
Proofed by Wheelman

Cujo#31 is on a distinguished road

I have yet to see a float valve shut off that works for any longer than a month. They are a waste of time and money. Like has been said before, set a timer. It’s way more reliable than anything else.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:41 PM

brotherd is on a distinguished road

Check this out. Genesis Reef Systems | Automated Aquarium Water Handling Systems