Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #2

Old 06-17-2009, 04:10 AM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

Meh - Hijack away... The emails saying the theres a new post in the thread reminds me i've got to get off my tookus and get going
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:14 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

I honestly can't wait to see this going! I remember watching the video and being like 'Wow, that's cool!'.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
Meh - Hijack away... The emails saying the theres a new post in the thread reminds me i've got to get off my tookus and get going
Well here's another one

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:43 PM

Well finally got off my duff and pulled the tank out of the storage room - redid the plumbing in a temporary form to sort out some of those fun challenges of the overall system.

Still using the herbie on the displays overflow - but the emergency overflow got a modified version of the stockman (reduces a bit of the noise from the surge). Playing around with the CSD to see if I can't find a nice borderline between a big surge & reduced syphon break noise. Looks like I'm getting about a 1.3g surge at roughly 40 second intervals.

Tossed some nice fine aragonite in it too - to see what kind of sandstorm I'd have going with the surge... Surprisingly not as bad as I figured...

I'll post up pictures later today of the revised system - with a video of the surge in action.
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:03 PM

Ok... As of today - tank itself:

Setup for now on my 110g's equipment shelf (spacing of the shelves was pretty close to what I wanted) Ignore the mess

Revised overflow

Video of the revised surge in action... I'm getting a bit happier with it's operation - but still sucking in a lot more air than I'd like (yet if I rework it to not suck the bubbles - surge is dramatically reduced - 1.5L).

Still have some finalizing to do then do a full rebuild of the plumbing and build the stand - but there is saltwater running through the system at least
Old 06-21-2009, 05:37 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Looking good, But to noisy for me.

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 06-21-2009, 05:53 PM

Get a minor sucking sound from the stockman as it knocks off the syphon; the big one's still from the CSD - might just have to add some insulation into the stand to see if I can't eliminate that one...
Old 06-21-2009, 09:19 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

pretty neet, how does it work, although I think the sound of the toilet flushing ever 30 to 40 seconds would drive me nuts haha

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:27 PM

Physics

Basically just a U tube; surge bucket fills until the U tube is covered, once water pressure is high enough - air's forced out of the u-tube - syphon starts... Syphon drains until sucks enough air to stop it - and process begins again...

Not quite toilet flushing, but yeah, there's a syphon break that's either rather annoying or rather soothing depending on how you feel about surges
Old 06-24-2009, 04:23 AM

Current FTS - 06/23:

Ok, Think I've got things mostly sorted out... Truck was broken into last night - and the good camera walked away - so appologies for the crummy P&S pictures...

For the record - hardware I'm using:

Custom built 5g tank (Colby @ Elite built) - 50$ (?ish? been a while)
Standard 5g Sump - 25$
Sterilite Brand plastic file cabinet (roughly 5g capacity) - 5$
Older than god mag2 pump w/ mag3 impeller - ???
Won Bro's 150w heater - bought in 2004 think it was 20$(Christian's big group order back from the days) <fingers crossed>
Old Odyssea 180 Skimmer body I had lying around - ???
Odyssea 250 needlewheel pump - 13.99 (thanks Red Coral)

Lighting - To be determined... Right now using some old flourescents I had kicking around - if I can scrape up some $ I'll be doing some LED lighting... Darn weddings - take all the spare $ away.

Current stock... Little bit of live rock from the main system; tossed in a hunk of digi & some colt (it'll look sweet in the surge)

If you are wondering - skimmers up in the surge tank as it displaced water - thus less time between surges (down to about 15 seconds now) also reduced surge down to ~ 1gallon.

Still need to do a final revision of the plumbing - thinking about doing a pair of locline nozzles for the surge outlet.

Overall system:

Yeah I really need to clean up don't I?