Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-06-2010, 05:17 AM

zum14 is on a distinguished road
Default Tylers ~30 gal system build.

So with the large system build failing, I was pretty upset. My wife got tired of me mopeing around the house and told me to setup a small system upstairs and keep a couple pieces. All the fish had to go unfortunately as there too large for this tank. So it started with a 20Gal tank. I convinced my wife to let me do it perpendicular to the wall for more coral real estate. We will see how it goes. I notched the one wall for a sort of coast to coast, more of an external box overflow. I really like them as there really quiet. I know my plumbing is again probably overkill but thats pretty much who I am.

So heres the stand in the freshly painted living room. Man there has been a lot of work done in this house. Still lots to go as you can see but its getting there. I figure this smaller system will be easier to move around when we do our floors. ( wont be for a while hence the reason im even considering this upstairs.) Its going to get some plywood where the tank and sump sits and a piece on the back for some structure and a barrier from water. I also threw a coat of primer on it tonight. I probably wont be skinning it with some walnut till the spring when I can work outside but the wife might get tired of the wood by then so we will see.

The tank will sit sort of inlaid into the stand. I have some ideas for skinning but its hard to explain. The stand was sort of a build on the fly as well. Im contemplateing waiting for the nano contest this year but not sure if I want to wait for 3 months to start stocking. It might be the best and smartest way to go to let the system stabilize even though its only going from upstairs to downstairs theres still lots of commotion and probably some dieoff and small cycle so I dunno, It depends on whats going to go on with the current livestock. Also contemplating custom LED fixture for this tank too. Might be a good tester to try.

Oh and gotta trim up the top trim for the overflow. Ill update again later with some more specs and such. Should be working on the plywood and plumbing tomorrow. Anyone think an ASM G3 will be too overkill for skimming?? Can you over skim? Hmm this will require some investigation.

"Nah, unless they got any big, giant robot camels I think were ok."

"Ah.....Jim.......robot camels"

Last edited by zum14; 02-25-2011 at 04:34 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:35 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Looking great so far. I'm always very impressed at the stands and tanks you build/modify for someone relatively new to the hobby. I still haven't ventured into the realm of glass cutting...

I think you will do fine with a G3 on a small tank like that. I used to use one on my 120gal but it couldn't keep up. For a heavy bioload I would rate the G3 good for a 75gal. The skimmer I have now is comfortably rated for twice my system volume so your situation is relatively the same as mine. However Alan has a G2 or Euroreef equivalent on his 90gal so if you want to downsize you might be able to trade with him.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 12-07-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Looking great so far. I'm always very impressed at the stands and tanks you build/modify for someone relatively new to the hobby. I still haven't ventured into the realm of glass cutting...

I think you will do fine with a G3 on a small tank like that. I used to use one on my 120gal but it couldn't keep up. For a heavy bioload I would rate the G3 good for a 75gal. The skimmer I have now is comfortably rated for twice my system volume so your situation is relatively the same as mine. However Alan has a G2 or Euroreef equivalent on his 90gal so if you want to downsize you might be able to trade with him.
Thanks. I have to thank the old man for that, hes a jack of all trades kinda thing. Started as a carpenter, hes a trailer mechanic now but we have all the tools for a nice woodshop, tablesaw, jointer, lathe, planer, saws and such. Its handy. I got used to just diving into projects, try it first kind of thing. You should try some glass work. I havent gotten the cutting the sheets down yet but as for holes and notching and stuff its really not that bad.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:20 AM

So got the stand all primed up last night. I realize its not 100% waterproof but I dont have that kind of money to be epoxy coating everything. It should help and be better then nothing.

Last night I also tried painting the back of the tank black. Now im not sure how I got away with it on my last tank and really wasnt sure how I would like the results of this one with the external overflow I figured what the hey. Well I failed. No surprise there.

Even if the paint stuck to the silicone I still just dont like seeing the overflow box and glass ends on the back of the tank. I think im going to see if I can track down a piece of black acrylic and I can even get a rake cut into the top for the overflow to stop critters from getting in. I know the risk of an overflow is higher with a rake but as long as its clean I think the risk is minimal. A float switch will be in the near future to shut the pump off should the water level get too high. Really any tank with a sump should have one in my mind. Sooo with that out of the way I decided to move on. Started working on mocking up the plumbing.

The two on the left are 1" drains. I dont have really any water level in the overflow downstairs on the 90gal with 2 1" drains so I figured Id be ok on this one with just two. Plus the high water level switch yada, yada, you get the idea. I havent decided on wether Im going to try and put a ball valve or two in the lines to play with a herbie style as the only noise I get downstairs is the water hitting the sump. The 1" bulkhead on the right is for the pump output to the ocean motion. Im using the bulkhead as a mount of sorts I guess. It was planned as an emergency overflow but figured with the switch, yada, yada again, I could use it as a return as tolerances are tight in the back of the stand for plumbing.

Heres what I have planned for the ocean motion to sit on. I was going to go with 45's but run into height problems so 90s will have to do. Should be pretty sturdy. Im going to try to fasten the longer outlet runs ,that go to the front of the tank, to the stand somehow. Ill figure it out better when they get mocked in. The hardest part im finding with this is really the compact size. Trying to get an ocean motion in with all that plumbing but stay out of the way of a potential lighting fixture. Downstairs it was kinda frankenstein it together, who cares if it sticks out 2". Well that cant happen up here. Not a huge deal so far, just taking a bit more time to make sure its going to get done right.

Oh and I have to mention a HUGE thanks to whatcaneyedo as hes helping me out with the coral end of things (babysitting a few things for me) and Madreefer for helping me out with the fish situation and finding some good homes for them. Took a lot of stress off now that I can do it right and make sure im not throwing a bunch of stuff into a tank thats not ready or too small for them.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:26 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

Looking good. Keeping an eye on this build.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:16 AM

So had to work late. Got the plumbing all finished up. Got the sump cleaned and ready. Just ran out of time to get water into it for a test. I didnt really feel it would be a good idea for 30 gal of water to be tested while I'm not home. Oh well, tomorrow should be a water test and possibly get some rock in it if the test goes well. I'll post the pics tomorrow when the cameras charged. Still need to do some tweeking. Build some mounts for the outlet piping. Looks like I'll have a bit of room in the sump for whatever rock I have left over Which will be nice as I won't be using it all in the display.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:22 PM

Dang. Water leak at the bulkhead fitting on the return line through the overflow. It drips into the sump but I cant be leaving that. Crap. First time ive had one of them leak. Oh well get the saw out. Gonna set me back a couple days but this ones the upstairs show tank so gotta do it right. Pout. Everything else seems to be working pretty good. Gotta put a valve on the overflow. Im going to get it done up tonight and ask if I actually did successfully do a herbie overflow as Ive read about it and have tried to do it but not sure if I succeded.

Last edited by zum14; 12-10-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:08 AM

Well......frack. So got all the plumbing done up tonight for the overflow. Got the valve in to play with the herbie. I know the system will drain from one overflow so the emergency line should handle anything if the main line happends to get plugged. Went to reseal the bulkhead for the return, something wasnt right when I put it together the first time, I thought i heard a click, wasnt sure. Well I am now.

Crappy part is I dont have another bulkhead here, I work tomorrow from 7am till around 6pm tomorrow and the wife wont have a vehicle tomorrow to run to the pet store to see if they have another one. Another day dead.

On the plus side of things nothing else seems to be issues with plumbing, got everything secured properly now and like the flow. Pumps actually not noisey either. One issue ill have to work on is the small amount of bubbles from the water going over the baffle are creating micro bubbles, not sure how im going to tackle this one but will figure something out.

The 2X4's have been replaced with some blocks and clamps to secure the piping.

Anyone have a 1" bulkhead for a 1 3/4" hole they want to sell?? haha.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:22 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I've got your bulkheads.

While I'm holding your coral I'll see if I can clean them up of aptasia. A day each with my CBB might work...

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 12-11-2010, 04:10 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Lookin good Tyler. Whats your plans for livestock? That would look cool plugged with zoas.