Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 07-27-2008, 06:42 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I've been fiddling around with this idea since you posted it, and I really like it. How would I go about figuring out the sizing for this evaporative cooler on a much much larger system?
Old 07-28-2008, 02:15 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Basically for larger systems I would simply go bigger than you may need, ideally it would be controlled by a some kind of temperature controller so you couldn't really go too big. Larger fans should be used, you probably wouldn't be able to get away with computer fans for larger units.

Also FYI, I tried using gutter guard instead of eggcrate and found the eegcrate to actually work better. It's less restrictive to air flow and it produces just as much surface area for contact if not more. A finner mesh will only increase the surface contact between the mesh and the water, not the air and water. It's not a bio-filter
Old 07-30-2008, 03:38 PM

drydock is on a distinguished road
Default Fan Power Supply

Hi,

Sorry for hijacking your thread...

I have seen those computer fans used in a number of applications. What do you use to power them? I would like to integrate a couple into a tank canopy to cool my lights.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drydock View Post
Hi,

Sorry for hijacking your thread...

I have seen those computer fans used in a number of applications. What do you use to power them? I would like to integrate a couple into a tank canopy to cool my lights.
An AC to DC adapter, usually 12VDC but anything from 6-14 will work but fan speed varies with voltage. The adapters with an adjustable output in that range are nice so you can adjust the fan speed as needed or until you get an acceptable noise level.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:12 PM

slakker is on a distinguished road

This is really cool (pun intended)...

I was wondering, would you play with putting a peltier device on this?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakker View Post
I was wondering, would you play with putting a peltier device on this?
I don't really see how a this device would serve a purpose in an evaporative cooler. Can you maybe explain your idea?

You're basically taking about a thermoelectricity but how would it be applied, to there air or water? Air would be better warmer and cooling the water inside the cooler would be difficult since it's dripped through and it would actually cause the system to work less efficient since the idea is to evaporate water. Basically I'm a little confused with your suggestion, it's a different system all together, kind of like combining a chiller and an evaporative cooler, I'm just not sure how they could be integrated.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:44 PM

I was thinking maybe making it a "combo" cooling device. I like how compact you made the whole sump unit and maybe to increase the cooling capcity more by putting the peltier in contact with the outflow. So one of those iCA nanochiller or "ice probes"... they're small and can be controlled with a Neptune... not sure how much more effective it would be, but wanted to see if you have any experiemental info/data on it.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:03 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I ran one of those iceprobes for many years on my 30 gallon hex. It wasn't very effective, even on a 30 gallon system. I don't think it wouldn't make any significant difference to the performance of this idea.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 08-20-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakker View Post
I was thinking maybe making it a "combo" cooling device. I like how compact you made the whole sump unit and maybe to increase the cooling capcity more by putting the peltier in contact with the outflow. So one of those iCA nanochiller or "ice probes"... they're small and can be controlled with a Neptune... not sure how much more effective it would be, but wanted to see if you have any experiemental info/data on it.
You're basically taking about one of these:

Problem is it would really be impossible to integrate into an evaporative cooler since they work on completely different principals. Also the idea behind the EC is be cost effective and efficient. The device above would probably use about 1000-1600 Watts to be beneficial on my system, and costs about $1500 so...

Last edited by sphelps; 08-21-2008 at 04:05 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:19 AM

I was thinking more just the device itself, so without all the bells and whistles... you can get them as cheap as $120 but not sure the specs on it... It wouldn't be adding to the evaporative properties, but in line... But given what Untamed said, it's probably not worth it...